Windows 10: Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to Windows 10 PC

Discus and support Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to Windows 10 PC in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to Windows 10 PC How to Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to a Windows 10 PC You... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to Windows 10 PC

How to: Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to Windows 10 PC

How to Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to a Windows 10 PC

You can use the Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) or connect to and control your Windows 10 PC from a remote device. When you allow remote desktop connections to your PC, you can use another device to connect to your PC and have access to all of your apps, files, and network resources as if you were sitting at your desk.

The Remote Desktop client will not connect to a Windows 10 Home edition PC. See: Supported PCs

Should I enable Remote Desktop?
    If you only want to access your PC when you are physically sitting in front of it, you don't need to enable Remote Desktop. Enabling Remote Desktop opens a port on your PC that is visible to your local network. You should only enable Remote Desktop in trusted networks, such as your home. You also don't want to enable Remote Desktop on any PC where access is tightly controlled.

Be aware that when you enable access to Remote Desktop, you are granting anyone in the Administrator's group, as well as any additional users you select through the Select user button, the ability to remotely access their accounts on the computer.

Why allow connections only with Network Level Authentication?
    If you want to restrict who can access your PC, choose to allow access only with Network Level Authentication (NLA). When you enable this option, users have to authenticate themselves to the network before they can connect to your PC. Allowing connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with NLA is a more secure authentication method that can help protect your computer from malicious users and software. To learn more about NLA and Remote Desktop, check out Configure NLA for RDS Connections.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable allowing Remote Desktop connections to your Windows 10 PC.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable Remote Desktop connections.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to this Computer in Settings
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to this Computer in System Remote Settings
    • Option Three: To Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to this Computer using a REG file
    • Option Four: To Force Always Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to this Computer in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Five: To Force Always Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to this Computer using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to this Computer in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Do step 3 (disable) or step 4 (enable) below for what you want.

3. To Disable Remote Desktop Connections
    A) Click/tap on Remote Desktop on the left side, and turn off Enable Remote Desktop on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to Windows 10 PC [​IMG]

B) Click/tap on Confirm, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

4. To Enable Remote Desktop Connections
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on Remote Desktop on the left side, and turn on Enable Remote Desktop on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on Confirm. (see screenshot below)

C) You can now view and/or change any Remote Desktop settings if wanted. (see screenshots below)

D) When finished, go to step 5 below.

5. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to this Computer in System Remote Settings
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on the Remote settings link on the left side of the System window. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (enable) or step 5 (disable) below for what you want.

4. To Enable Remote Desktop Connections
    A) Select (dot) Allow remote connections to this computer. (see screenshot below)

B) Check (default & recommended) or uncheck Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication for what you want.

C) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

5. To Disable Remote Desktop Connections
    *note This is the default setting, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.
    A) Select (dot) Don't allow remote connections to this computer. (see screenshot below)

6. When finished, you can close the System Control Panel window if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to this Computer using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD values in the registry keys below.

(Enable or Disable Remote Desktop)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server

fDenyTSConnections DWORD

0 = Enable
    1 = Disable

(Turn On or Off "Network Level Authentication" for Remote Desktop)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp

UserAuthentication DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (enable with Network Level Authentication), step 3 (enable without Network Level Authentication), or step 4 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Remote Desktop Connections with Network Level Authentication
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Enable_Remote_Desktop_with_Network_Level_Authentication.reg

Download

3. To Enable Remote Desktop Connections without Network Level Authentication
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Enable_Remote_Desktop_without_Network_Level_Authentication.reg

Download

4. To Disable Remote Desktop Connections

Disable_Remote_Desktop_connections_on_PC.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Force Always Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to this Computer in Local Group Policy Editor

*note This option will override and gray out Option One, Option Two, and Option Three above.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Five below for this same policy setting.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the folder below in the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Connections

3. In the right pane of Connections in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow users to connect remotely by using Remote Desktop Services policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (not configured), step 6 (always enabled), or step 7 (always disabled) below for what you would like to do. (see screenshot below)

5. To Set Default "Not Configured" setting
    *note This will allow you to use Option One, Option Two, or Option Three above to enable or disable Remote Desktop.
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below step 4)

6. To Force Always Enable Remote Desktop Connections
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below step 4)

7. To Force Always Disable Remote Desktop Connections
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below step 4)

8. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Force Always Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to this Computer using a REG file

*note This option does the same thing as Option Four, and will override and gray out Option One, Option Two, and Option Three above.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services

fDenyTSConnections DWORD

<delete> = Not Configured
    0 = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (not configured), step 3 (always enabled), or step 4 (always disabled) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Restore Default "Not Configured" setting
    *note This will allow you to use Option One, Option Two, or Option Three above to enable or disable Remote Desktop.

Default_Not_Configured_Remote_Desktop_connections.reg

Download

3. To Force Always Enable Remote Desktop Connections

Force_Always_Enable_Remote_Desktop_connections.reg

Download

4. To Force Always Disable Remote Desktop Connections

Force_Always_Disable_Remote_Desktop_connections.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 27, 2017
  2. Bree Win User

Remote desktop in window 10 cannot access computer having windows 8

No, it's the other way round all editions include the Remote Desktop Client and can connect to any PC with the Remote Desktop Server enabled. Only Pro and above allow you to connect to them.

https://docs.microsoft.com/windows-s...#supported-pcs

maideen5's region is Malaysia, English may not be their first language. As I understand it the OP's problem can be stated as:

• The Windows 10 PC can connect to the remote desktop of a PC running Windows Server 2012, but cannot connect to a Windows 8.1 PC.
    • A Windows 7 PC can connect to both, so the Windows 8.1 PC is known to allow incoming connections.

I don't have an 8.1 Pro machine, so I can't test this for myself. @Kari wrote the tutorial on this, perhaps he has a suggestion.

Edit: see post #10

3. Kari Win User
    Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

4. Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to Windows 10 PC

Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer

We suggest that you disable any security program on your computer and check if it resolves the issue.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as
    soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Then follow the steps below to ensure remote desktop is enabled:

• Click Start.
    • Click on File Explorer.
    • Right-click This PC.
    • Select Properties.
    • Click Remote settings in the upper left hand corner.
    • Ensure the option Allow remote connection to this computer and
      Allow Remote Assistance connection to this computer is selected.
    • Click Apply and OK.
    • Reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Using Remote Desktop to connect to Windows 7 PC from Windows 10 PC

Hi,

To isolate your concern, we'll need the following information:

• What exactly the error message are you getting?
    • How do you set up Remote Desktop connection?
    To check if you are doing it right, make sure Remote Desktop settings is turned on using Windows 10. To check, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Allow remote access to your computer.
    • On the Remote tab,under Remote Assistance, check Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer.
    • Under Remote Desktop, check Allow remote connections to this computer.
    • Click OK.
    To check if Remote Desktop is set up on Windows 7, follow the steps below:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Click System and Security.
    • Click System.
    • On the left pane, click Remote settings.
    • On the Remote tab, under Remote Assistance, check Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer.
    • Under Remote Desktop, check Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)
    • Click OK.
    Afterwards, you may now go ahead and start the Remote Desktop connection.

Let us know how it goes.

Jesebel Ova, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Remote Desktop missing in Allow Apps Through Firewall on Windows 10

Hi Brian,

To isolate the issue, please provide the following information:

• How did you enable Remote Desktop on your Windows 10 Pro? Please share the steps that you've taken.
    • Are there any error messages that appear whenever Windows disables Remote Desktop?

Regards.

JohnRod Nav, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to Windows 10 PC - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Remote

2. How to Enable Remote Desktop in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable Remote Desktop in Windows 10?: Have you faced problems with your system and wished someone could take over your computer and solve the problem for you? With remote desktop access in Windows 10, this is now possible. With this remote desktop feature, you can control any system without being physically...
  3. enable usb devices on remote desktop connected pc

in Windows 10 Customization
    enable usb devices on remote desktop connected pc: From the comfortable chair and large monitor on the gaming PC in my bedroom, I wish to sequence a bank of synthesizers which are all connected via a number of USB-MIDI adaptors to the ThinkPad in my living room the next room. I can establish a remote desktop connection ok,...
  4. Disabling Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling Remote Desktop: Hi, I need help disabling the check mark on the Remote Desktop that says “change settings to allow remote connections to this computer” for some reason when I uncheck it, it does not allow me to apply the changes. Can I have some help on this issue and how to possibly apply...
  5. Regarding the enabling of Remote Desktop connection for windows 10 home edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Regarding the enabling of Remote Desktop connection for windows 10 home edition: I am trying to download RDPwrapper in my lappy but its not installing all the files and while installion its showing executable file not found and I cant proceed with the other steps Is there any other alternative to enable the Remote Desktop Connection . PLease tell me?...
  6. Windows 10 Remote Desktop Connections

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Remote Desktop Connections: I'm wondering if you can use an IP address to connect to a remote desktop regardless if both systems are on the same LAN or not? Using the full pc DNS name is working but acting differently when using an IP address. I thought you could......
  7. Remote Desktop Connection Unmutes Remote PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop Connection Unmutes Remote PC: I use Remote Desktop Connection via a VPN from my home laptop to my work desktop, both of which are using WIN10. Whatever the sound settings are on my desktop doesn't affect my remote session. My remote session is always unmuted and always at 100% when I start it. I can mute...
  8. Enable or Disable Remote Assistance Connections in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Remote Assistance Connections in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Remote Assistance Connections in Windows How to Enable or Disable Remote Assistance Connections in Windows Windows Remote Assistance lets someone you trust, such as a friend or technical support person whom you have contacted, take over your PC...
  9. Disable Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable Remote Desktop: Hi everybody, Anyone knows a working way to DISABLE "Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer" via Registry only?! I searched and found something on the web but none works, Windows 10 Enterprise... Thanks indeed *Smile 64193
  10. Add Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC: How to: Add Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC How to Add a Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC You can download and install the free connect to a remote PC or virtual apps and desktops made available by your...