Windows 10: Hyper-V Quick Create - Setup Ubuntu Linux virtual machine

Discus and support Hyper-V Quick Create - Setup Ubuntu Linux virtual machine in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Hyper-V Quick Create - Setup Ubuntu Linux virtual machine [img] Information Microsoft's cooperation with Canonical just took a giant leap.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by darkf0xx, Nov 4, 2015.

1. darkf0xx Win User

Hyper-V Quick Create - Setup Ubuntu Linux virtual machine

How to: Hyper-V Quick Create - Setup Ubuntu Linux virtual machine

Hyper-V Quick Create - Setup Ubuntu Linux virtual machine [​IMG]
    Information Microsoft's cooperation with Canonical just took a giant leap. Will Cooke from Canonical announced new Hyper-V Quick Create Gallery virtual hard disk with pe-installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Using Quick Create, users can set up an Ubuntu Generation 2 virtual machine in just a minute or two.

Will Cooke on Ubuntu Blog on September 17th, 2018:

The Quick Create Gallery Ubuntu VM uses XRDP upstream to add support for Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode. Everything is pre-installed, the new Ubuntu VM will allow enhanced mode on first boot.

This tutorial will show how you can set up a Generation 2 Ubuntu VM in a few easy steps.
    Step 1: Setup Ubuntu VM from Quick Create Gallery1.1) In Hyper-V Manager, select Quick Create on Actions pane:

1.2) Select Ubuntu , click Create virtual machine:

1.3) Pre-made virtual hard disk will be downloaded (1.5 GB):

1.4) After the download, the file integrity will be verified and virtual machine created. It will be created using dynamic memory, with 2 GB RAM to start with. Hyper-V sets number of virtual processors automatically, based on what your host hardware allows. Click Edit settings to change settings, or click Connect:

1.5) Accepting default settings, you might be surprised how much of host RAM virtual machine's dynamic memory will consume after a few minutes use. In my case, I had to reduce the max RAM allowed to 4 GB after noticing that when browsing Ten Forums on Ubuntu VM, it suddenly used over 8 GB RAM when nothing else than browser with a few tabs was running.

Before setting lower max RAM, the VM was constantly using close to 8 GB. When left idle, it settled to 7,662 MB, over 7.5 GB, and remained there constantly as long as VM was idle:

(Click screenshot to pop out, click again to enlarge.)

Step 2: Setup Ubuntu2.1) Start the virtual machine.

2.2) Select OS language, keyboard layout and time zone:

2.3) Set up your user account:

2.4) Setup will take a minute or two. When done, Enhanced Session Mode prompt will be shown. Click Connect:

2.5) Sign in:

2.6) That's it! I was on Ubuntu desktop about three minutes after starting the VM first time, using enhanced mode:

Happy computing, geeks!

Kari

Related Tutorials

:)

darkf0xx, Nov 4, 2015
  2. cereberus Win User

@Kari, How could I doubt you - here is Linux running with 2GB assigned.

I have unbuntu open with only one app running (Libre Office Writer) as below.

Here is the memory demand - 5GB - Hell my Windows 10 VMS run comfortably in 4GB!

No wonder it is sluggish

I also tested it on my original version before the quick create VM (cool by the way), and it gave virtually the same result.

So who are all these fibbing Linuxians who keep telling us that it uses less resources than Windows? *chuckle.

cereberus, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Hyper-V new 'Quick Create' Ubuntu 18.04.01 LTS errors on boot

After enabling Hyper-V in Windows 10 Pro and following the 'Quick Create' type wizard in Hyper-V to create a Ubuntu 18.04.01 LTS virtual machine, Hyper-V encounters the following two errors when trying to boot this virtual machine.

This is following the completion of the 'Quick Create' wizard to establish the Hyper-V settings for this particular virtual machine.

When starting this virtual machine the window that this is occurring in displays the following two errors:

• Spectre V2: Spectre mitigation LFENCE not serializing, switching to generic retpoline.
    • PCI: Fatal: No config space function found.

This results in the Ubuntu boot up failing and falling back to the Linux Grub menu.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64bit, version 1809 on a HP EliteBook 745 G5 notebook which uses an AMD Ryzen 5 2500u CPU.

Any help much appreciated.

SpaceHopperUK, Oct 27, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

What is that screen? I have never seen it - I would like to check my version?

cereberus, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Kari Win User

No, that's not it. Memory demand is in both cases, static or dynamic RAM, over 6 GB. As only 4 GB is assigned, this naturally makes VM quite slow.

(Click to enlarge.)

6. Brink Win User
    Running Linux on Windows 10 easier with Hyper-V Quick Create

Source: Run Ubuntu virtual machines made even easier with Hyper-V Quick Create - Windows Developer Blog

Tip Hyper-V Quick Create - Setup Ubuntu Linux virtual machine

Enable or Disable Windows Subsystem for Linux in Windows 10

Open Bash window here context menu - Add in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Hyper-V Quick Create - Setup Ubuntu Linux virtual machine - Similar Threads - Hyper Quick Create

2. Hyper V Manager unable to create new virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V Manager unable to create new virtual machine: Hyper V Manager is unable to create new virtual machine. When I went and checked the event viewer I found this error message The Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service encountered an unexpected error: %%2147778704 0x80048090....
  3. Hyper V Manager unable to create new virtual machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper V Manager unable to create new virtual machine: Hyper V Manager is unable to create new virtual machine. When I went and checked the event viewer I found this error message The Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service encountered an unexpected error: %%2147778704 0x80048090....
  4. How isolated is a Linux virtual machine running inside of hyper-v

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How isolated is a Linux virtual machine running inside of hyper-v: Hi all, New windows user alert : I'm wondering how isolated can a Linux virtual machine be running inside Hyper-V. On mac I run linux inside VMware Fusion with isolation settings set to max e.g. no file sharing, clipboard etc... and whenever I have a suspicious URL or...
  5. Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines: How to: Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines Running Windows on a virtual machine can naturally never be as fast as same version of Windows on same computer running on physical hardware. However, by tweaking virtual machine settings, you can greatly impact the speed and...
  6. Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines: Hi, I was wondering if all I really need to do to backup activated virtual machines but not associated virtual hard drives is just to copy the virtual hard drive folder to another drive (or even one drive) . All I am really interested is in saving the machines which have...
  7. Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V: Hi guys, I enabled Hyper-V feature in Windows 10 but unable to create a virtual switch. I tried to create private and internal types of virtual switch but every time the process stuck on "Applying changes". What could be the reason of that? Thank you. 61906
  8. Hyper-V - Create Custom Virtual Machine Gallery

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Create Custom Virtual Machine Gallery: How to: Hyper-V - Create Custom Virtual Machine Gallery [img] Information Quick Create is a feature in Hyper-V allowing users to setup new virtual machines with a few mouse clicks. At the moment, Quick Create offers users a quick setup of Windows 10 Developer Environment,...
  9. Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows: How to: Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows How to Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 8 and 10 [img] Note There's nothing wrong in running the Hyper-V Manager and launch your virtual machines from there. However, creating a...
  10. Hyper-V Quick Create - Create or Copy a Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V Quick Create - Create or Copy a Virtual Machine: How to: Hyper-V Quick Create - Create or Copy a Virtual Machine [img] Information Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15002 gave a facelift to Hyper-V as told earlier on Ten Forums. One of the new cool things is a new feature in Hyper-V Manager called Quick Create. With it...