Windows 10: Add, Delete, Prevent, and Edit Speech Dictionary Words in Windows 10

Discus and support Add, Delete, Prevent, and Edit Speech Dictionary Words in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add, Delete, Prevent, and Edit Speech Dictionary Words in Windows 10 How to Add, Delete, Prevent, and Edit Speech Recognition Dictionary Words... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by TeknoBug, Nov 18, 2016.

1. TeknoBug Win User

Add, Delete, Prevent, and Edit Speech Dictionary Words in Windows 10

How to: Add, Delete, Prevent, and Edit Speech Dictionary Words in Windows 10

How to Add, Delete, Prevent, and Edit Speech Recognition Dictionary Words in Windows 10

When you set up Speech Recognition in Windows 10, it lets you control your PC with your voice alone, without needing a keyboard or mouse.

Using only your voice, you can open menus, click buttons and other objects on the screen, dictate text into documents, and write and send emails. Just about anything you do with your keyboard and mouse can be done with only your voice.

If you like, you can add a new single word or an expression to the Speech Dictionary to enable your personal words, or expressions to be dictated into your applications.

If you like, you can improve dictation accuracy by preventing certain words from being dictated by excluding them in Speech Dictionary.

If you like, you can edit or delete words that are already in the Speech Dictionary.

Speech Recognition is only available for the following languages: English (United States, United Kingdom, Canada, India, and Australia), French, German, Japanese, Mandarin (Chinese Simplified and Chinese Traditional), and Spanish.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to add, prevent, edit, and delete words in the Speech Dictionary used to dictate with Speech Recognition for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] Add New Word or Expression to Speech Dictionary
    1. While Speech Recognition is open, perform one of the following actions: (see screenshot below)
    A) Right click or press and hold on the Speech Recognition toolbar, and click/tap on Open the Speech Dictionary.

OR

B) Right click or press and hold on the Speech Recognition notification area icon on the taskbar, and click/tap on Open the Speech Dictionary.

Add, Delete, Prevent, and Edit Speech Dictionary Words in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2. Click/tap on Add a new word. (see screenshot below)

3. Type the word or expression you want to add, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note If Speech Recognition is currently listening, then you can say the word or expression instead of typing it.

4. Select the options you want applied to this word, and click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

*note If you are finished with Speech Dictionary, uncheck I want to make more modifications to the Speech Dictionary upon Finish.

5. If you checked the Record a pronunciation upon Finish option, then:
    A) Make sure Speech Recognition is listening. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the Record button when ready. (see screenshot below)

C) Say the word or expression out loud. Recording will automatically stop after you stop speaking. (see screenshot below)

D) Click/tap on Finish when the recording was successful. (see screenshot below)

*note If you are finished with Speech Dictionary, uncheck I want to make more modifications to the Speech Dictionary upon Finish.

OPTION TWO [/i] Prevent Word from being Dictated in Speech Dictionary
    1. While Speech Recognition is open, perform one of the following actions: (see screenshot below)
    A) Right click or press and hold on the Speech Recognition toolbar, and click/tap on Open the Speech Dictionary.

OR

B) Right click or press and hold on the Speech Recognition notification area icon on the taskbar, and click/tap on Open the Speech Dictionary.

2. Click/tap on Prevent a word from being dictated. (see screenshot below)

3. Type the word you want to prevent, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note You may not enter spaces, numbers, or symbols here.

Make sure that the word you enter has the same capitalization as the word you want to exclude from dictation. If the word is sometimes capitalized, enter it in all lower case.

4. Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Edit Word in Speech Dictionary

OR

2. Click/tap on Change existing words. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Edit a word. (see screenshot below)

4. Select the word you want to edit, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note If Speech Recognition is currently listening, then you can say the word instead of typing it.

5. Make any changes to the spelling of the word you want, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note To change only the pronunciation of the word and not spelling, only click/tap on Next instead.

6. Select the options you want applied to this word, and click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

7. If you checked the Record a pronunciation upon Finish option, then:
    A) Make sure Speech Recognition is listening. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the Record button when ready. (see screenshot below)

C) Say the word or expression out loud. Recording will automatically stop after you stop speaking. (see screenshot below)

D) Click/tap on Finish when the recording was successful. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Delete Word in Speech Dictionary

OR

2. Click/tap on Delete a word. (see screenshot below)

3. Select the word you want to delete, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note If Speech Recognition is currently listening, then you can say the word instead of typing it.

4. Click/tap on Finish to confirm. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

TeknoBug, Nov 18, 2016
  2. Brink Win User

Enable or Disable Document Review for Speech Recognition in Advanced Speech Options

If you like, you can also manually add words to the speech recognition dictionary when it has trouble understanding them. During this process, you can include to record a pronunciation of the word to make it better understood.

*Arrow Add, Delete, Prevent, and Edit Speech Dictionary Words in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. E66 - Possible to edit/delete word in T9 dictionary

Hi

I have a problem with my T9 dictionary.

A wrong word is added to the list and this is the first word to be suggested for a very common input, very annoying as the combination is used a lot.

Is it possible to edit the T9 list in the phone?

Rgds

Jesper

mathe---01, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Add, Delete, Prevent, and Edit Speech Dictionary Words in Windows 10

How to get windows speech recognition to actually spell out something it recognizes as a "bad word"

Hi, Jessica,

I am an Independent Advisor and will assist you.

The Profanity filter is enabled and the only way to get around It would be to add the word(s) to Speech Dictionary.

This is a detailed tutorial on how to Add, Delete, Prevent, and Edit Speech Dictionary.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/120879-add-...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Pat

Smittychat., Oct 27, 2019
  5. Matty_R Win User
    E66 - Possible to edit/delete word in T9 dictionary

Using the Beta lab dictionary editor is your best bet. The function may say you can't delete a word, but if you select edit a word and change it to another word in your dictionary the original word you started editing will be removed :smileywink:

Matty_R, Oct 27, 2019
  6. how can i change the default commands on windows speech recognition?

Hi Pedro,

I suggest you to follow the link below and try to change it. However, if a word or phrase is
    bold, it's an example. Replace it with similar words to get the result you want. Follow the steps below:

• Type Speech Recognition in the search box.

• Say "open Speech Dictionary."

• Say "start listening" or click the
      Microphone button to start the listening mode.

• Click or say Change existing words.

• Click or say Edit a word or
      Delete a word, and then follow the instructions in the wizard.
    Hope it helps.

SujataMoktan, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Add, Delete, Prevent, and Edit Speech Dictionary Words in Windows 10

1. Add, Delete, Prevent, and Edit Speech Dictionary Words in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Delete Prevent

2. How to open speech dictionary

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to open speech dictionary: How to open speech dictionary https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-open-speech-dictionary/b03f9e58-d55c-459c-8afe-f821211dca67
  3. How to open speech dictionary

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to open speech dictionary: How to open speech dictionary https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-open-speech-dictionary/b03f9e58-d55c-459c-8afe-f821211dca67
  4. How to open speech dictionary

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Having trouble with speech recognition dictionary

in Windows 10 Support
    Having trouble with speech recognition dictionary: I'm new to the forum and need help with the Windows 10 speech dictionary. I have followed the steps for making changes to the speech recognition dictionary and managed to get "be cause" changed to "because" but it won't change "Atty." to "Attorney" and no matter how many...
  6. Autocorrect Dictionary - Word

in Windows 10 Customization
    Autocorrect Dictionary - Word: Does anyone know how to back up the auto correct dictionary in Word when using Office 365 with Windows 10 or how to print a copy of the auto correct dictionary entries? I used to be able to do this with Windows 7 but cannot figure out how in Windows 10....
  7. Editing custom dictionary in Word

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Editing custom dictionary in Word: I have found how to edit 'custom.dic' and have removed some oddities that had crept in. However one problem (that I know of) remains. In MSWord, I type the correct word and when I hit return it changes to an incorrect spelling (that I must have entered by mistake at some...
  8. The 'add to dictionary' function won't work in Word.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The 'add to dictionary' function won't work in Word.: The 'add to dictionary' function won't work in Word on my laptop. I have Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-add-to-dictionary-function-wont-work-in-word/84b65411-ec15-4caa-b20d-6611a82ad64b
  9. Dictionary in Word?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Dictionary in Word?: Good evening all, I am using the latest edition of Word. I've managed to add the Thesarus icon onto the Quick Access bar but I can't do the same for a dictionary. I want to use the dictionary to learn the meaning of selected words, as opposed to adding words to the grammar...
  10. Add or Remove Words in Spell Checking Dictionary in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Words in Spell Checking Dictionary in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Words in Spell Checking Dictionary in Windows 10 Add or Remove Words in Spell Checking Dictionary in Windows 10 Windows 8 and 10 includes a spell checking feature for when you type words anywhere in Windows. Dictionary Files: The...