Windows 10: Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in Windows 10

Discus and support Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in Windows 10 How to Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in Windows 10 Your PC's motherboard will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in Windows 10

How to: Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in Windows 10

How to Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in Windows 10

Your PC's motherboard will either have a BIOS or UEFI firmware chip.

BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is the firmware interface between a PC's hardware and its operating system.

UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) is a standard firmware interface for PCs. UEFI is a replacement for the older BIOS firmware interface and the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) 1.10 specifications. It's designed to improve software interoperability and address limitations of BIOS.

Knowing your PC's BIOS or UEFI version can tell you if you have the most up-to-date version, or if you need to update from the PC or motherboard manufacturer's support site.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to find the current BIOS or UEFI firmware version in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in System Information
    • Option Two: To Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in DirectX Diagnostic Tool
    • Option Three: To Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in Registry Editor
    • Option Four: To Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in Command Prompt
    • Option Five: To Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in PowerShell
    • Option Six: To Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version by booting into BIOS or UEFI Firmware

OPTION ONE [/i] To Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in System Information
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type msinfo32 into Run, and click/tap on OK to open System Information.

2. In the right pane of System Summary in System Information, see what the BIOS Version/Date item shows for your version (ex: "P3.40"). (see screenshot below)

Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in DirectX Diagnostic Tool
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type dxdiag into Run, and click/tap on OK to open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.

2. In the System tab, look at the BIOS item under System Information to see what your current version is. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS
    3. In the right pane of the BIOS key, look at the BIOSVersion and BIOSReleaseDate string values to see your version and its release date. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter either command below you want into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow wmic bios get biosversion

*Arrow wmic bios get manufacturer, smbiosbiosversion

*Arrow Systeminfo | findstr /C:BIOS

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in PowerShell
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Enter the command below you want to use into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Local PC)
    *Arrow Get-WmiObject win32_bios

OR

(Remote PC)
    *Arrow Get-WmiObject win32_bios -computername <computername>

*note Substitute <computername> in the command above with the actual computer name of the remote PC you want to check the BIOS or UEFI version of.

For example: Get-WmiObject win32_bios -computername Brink-W10PC

OPTION SIX [/i] To Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version by booting into BIOS or UEFI Firmware
    1. Do step 2 (BIOS menu) or step 3 (UEFI firmware settings) depending on how you area able to boot to BIOS or UEFI.

2. To Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version using BIOS Menu
    A) Restart the computer.

B) As the PC reboots, press F2, F10, F12, or Del to enter the BIOS or Setup menu. You may need to press the key repeatedly, as boot times for some PCs can be very quick. (see screenshots below)

*note The exact key to press for the BIOS menu will only be shown briefly on the splash screen as the PC reboots. You may need to read your PC's or motherboard's manual or support site for its specific procedure to boot to BIOS. Sometimes the BIOS version will also show on the splash screen.

3. To Check UEFI Firmware Version from UEFI Firmware Settings
    A) Boot to UEFI firmware settings.

B) Look for the UEFI version. Depending on your computer hardware, you'll see different information. The UEFI version will usually be under the Main or starting tab. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 4, 2017
  2. John Vil Win User

uefi firmware settings

Hello Jack,

One possible reason why the UEFI Firmware Settings suddenly went missing is because of a recent update. To better assist you, kindly answer the questions below:

• Were there any recent updates installed on your computer prior to this happening?
    • What is the current version of your Windows 10? To check, type in winver on
      Cortana's search field and press Enter.
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Does your computer have a legacy BIOS or does it have a UEFI firmware? To check, type in
      MSINFO on Cortana's search field and press Enter. Look for the BIOS Mode parameter and the the corresponding value.

We'll be waiting for your response.

John Vil, Oct 26, 2019
  3. aakkam22 Win User
    Windows 10 UEFI BIOS

It looks like your hardware supports both the new firmware standard (UEFI), and the old firmware standard (Legacy or BIOS).

Based on your description, it seems that Windows 10 was installed in UEFI mode. Legacy firmware can't see UEFI, and that's why when you enter Legacy, you can't see the newer, UEFI-based Windows 10.

The solution? Reinstall Windows 10 using legacy boot instead of UEFI.

aakkam22, Oct 26, 2019
  4. SenPrime Win User

I cant find BIOS uefi setting in advance setting in windows 10

F10, safe boot, option 7. Took me 10 hours to troubleshoot...

Field Value

BIOS Properties

BIOS Version 0402

BIOS Type AMI UEFI

AGESA Version OrochiPIV1.5.0.2

SMBIOS Version 2.7

UEFI Boot No

Secure Boot Not Supported

System BIOS Date 12/23/2015

Video BIOS Date 11/25/15

BIOS Manufacturer

Company Name American Megatrends Inc.

Product Information AMI - BIOS ⁄ UEFI Firmware

BIOS Upgrades http://www.aida64.com/goto/?p=biosupdates

Problems & Suggestions

Suggestion Video BIOS is more than 2 years old. Update it if necessary.

SenPrime, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Get Windows 10 APP, UEFI Check?

The check report of the Get Windows10 app does not provide a positive feedback if the BIOS satisfies the W10 requirement for UEFI. The check report comes of a Windows 7 Ultimate + SP1 + all important updates. The base system is a Dell Inspiron 1520 with
    the latest BIOS listed by Dell. However, I do not think the BIOS implements UEFI even when the check report does not list an issue! So how can any Window 7 user believe the report provided by this Get Windows 10 App? It is my believe that this App installed
    by MS, unauthorized by the user, should at least work and provide reliable information to any casual user.

RobertZinggeler, Oct 26, 2019
  6. LordFarqs Win User
    UEFI firmware settings SAMSUNG

Hello all,
    My system specs are the following: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit UEFI Bios Phoenix BIOS version and drivers are updated, also confirmed by Slimdrivers. Samsung Series 5 ULTRA 530U4C-S02PT Also: It is an hybrid drive, 1TB HDD & 24GB SSD that is supposedly well installed (the laptop never been so fast after formating and installing windows 10 with express cache to take advantage of SSD hybrid boosting). Windows works like a speedster the only problem is the inaccessibility of BIOS, for example i want to enable the virtualization VT-X to install Oracle VM and i can't go BIOS to edit virtualization.
    Problems: UEFI BIOS firmware settings boot dialog is inaccessible.Not working suggested fixes:

• i) hotkeys Esc, F2, F4, F8 and F10 don't log in BIOS. Although safe mode, debug logging, etc are available. Disabling Fast Bios in the control panel > power management dialog doesn't do anything.
    • ii) automatic repair seems to give an error, after the account is specified in the repair boot dialog it gives error.
    • iii) recovery > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware Settings Boot is not Visible.
    • iv) EasyUEFI free only works with Windows 10 Home, not Enterprise (it would resolve the issue appropriately with the boot into UEFI option) Sources:
    Cause (according to internet forums): i) Probably my uefi has Secure Boot Enabled and Fast Boot also, making the boot system almost instantaneous and rendering other boot scenarios blocked. Because system is only seeing the SSD drive as boot option. ii) There is a problem with samsung laptops and uefi, that makes the express cache and SSD install very tedious and difficult, i managed to do it and the pc is smooth the only issue is to access BIOS.
    Anyone has a clue on how to sort this out.
    Specifications: Operating System Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit CPU Intel Core i5 3317U @ 1.70GHz 53 °C Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology RAM 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 782MHz (11-11-11-28) Motherboard SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO. LTD. SAMSUNG_NP1234567890 (CPU Socket - U3E1) BIOS Brand Phoenix Technologies Ltd. Version P15AAJ Date 23/07/2015 Graphics Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz) Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Samsung) 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M (Samsung) 45 °C ForceWare version: 368.81 SLI Disabled Storage 698GB Hitachi HTS547575A9E384 (SATA) 36 °C 22GB SanDisk SSD i100 24GB (SSD) Optical Drives TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208BB Audio Realtek High Definition Audio

LordFarqs, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Check BIOS or UEFI Firmware Version in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Check BIOS UEFI

2. How to check the UEFI version which is 2.3.1 or later firmware?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to check the UEFI version which is 2.3.1 or later firmware?: Hello everyone, how may I know my pc has the supported version of UEFI which is 2.3.1 or above? Thank you in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-check-the-uefi-version-which-is-231-or/f2152e34-2a67-4f30-a8dc-8d62a0a74aa6
  3. How to check the UEFI version which is 2.3.1 or later firmware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to check the UEFI version which is 2.3.1 or later firmware?: Hello everyone, how may I know my pc has the supported version of UEFI which is 2.3.1 or above? Thank you in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-check-the-uefi-version-which-is-231-or/f2152e34-2a67-4f30-a8dc-8d62a0a74aa6
  4. How to check the UEFI version which is 2.3.1 or later firmware?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. uefi firmware settings won't boot to bios windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    uefi firmware settings won't boot to bios windows 11: I've used the advance option start up thing to select UEFI Firmware settings on windows 11 to try and boot to the bios, but it will not bring me to the bios. When it restarts it just boots up as normal. I need to access the bios but I can't.My motherboard is Gigabyte Z390...
  6. uefi firmware settings won't boot to bios windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    uefi firmware settings won't boot to bios windows 11: I've used the advance option start up thing to select UEFI Firmware settings on windows 11 to try and boot to the bios, but it will not bring me to the bios. When it restarts it just boots up as normal. I need to access the bios but I can't.My motherboard is Gigabyte Z390...
  7. Check Firmware update Version installed on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Check Firmware update Version installed on Windows 10: Has anyone found a way to determine which version is currently installed apart from within regedit? ie I want to check which firmware Driver pack version installed SurfaceLaptop3_Win10_18362_20.121.13124.0.msi thanks...
  8. Bios key not working and uefi firmware missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios key not working and uefi firmware missing: hello everyone, am in a tough spot right now. I converted my disk to gpt from mbt and I was supposed to access my bios to change from legacy to uefi. The problem is my bios key f2 for my Samsung laptop isn't entering bios and the booting keeps going into a loop state. I...
  9. How to boot Windows into UEFI or BIOS firmware

in Windows 10 News
    How to boot Windows into UEFI or BIOS firmware: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Many a time you need to reboot into the computer firmware, i.e., UEFI or BIOS. If your hardware keys are failing to boot you into BIOS or UEFI, you will need to do this. In this post, I will share [...] This post How to boot Windows into UEFI or BIOS...
  10. Check if Windows 10 is using UEFI or Legacy BIOS

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Check if Windows 10 is using UEFI or Legacy BIOS: How to: Check if Windows 10 is using UEFI or Legacy BIOS How to Check if Windows 10 is using UEFI or Legacy BIOS You might be wondering if Windows 10 is using UEFI or the legacy BIOS. For more information, see: Boot and UEFI | Microsoft Docs UEFI Firmware UEFI in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 check motherboard bios and firmware version