Windows 10: Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 22, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10

How to: Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10

How to Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10

Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The local account. You can set a value of between 1 and 14 characters, or you can establish that no password is required by setting the number of characters to 0.

This tutorial will show you how to change the minimum password length for local accounts in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to change the minimum password length.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts using Local Security Policy
    • Option Two: To Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts using Command Prompt

EXAMPLE: "The password you entered doesn't meet password policy requirements" error

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts using Local Security Policy

Note Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. Navigate to Account Policies and Password Policy in the left pane of Local Security Policy. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Password Policy, double click/tap on the Minimum password length policy. (see screenshot above)

4. Type in a number between 0 and 14 for how many characters you want a password must at least have, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note The default setting is 0 characters.

5. When finished, you can close the Local Security Policy window if you like.

6. If you like, you can force local accounts to change their password at next sign-in to enforce your changes to minimum password length.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and make note of the current minimum password length. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow net accounts

3. Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow net accounts /minpwlen:NumberOfCharacters

Note Substitute NumberOfCharacters in the command above with a number between 0 and 14 for how many characters you want a password must at least have.

The default setting is 0 characters.

4. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

5. If you like, you can force local accounts to change their password at next sign-in to enforce your changes to minimum password length.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 22, 2017
  2. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Naveen_M Win User
    minimum password length more than 15?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I'd suggest you to refer this article on
    Minimum password length
    for additional information.

You can also refer
    Password must meet complexity requirements
    and check if that helps.

If the issue persists, I'd suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet forums
    where we have the engineers with expertise to provide a solution for this issue.

Regards,

Naveen M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Naveen_M, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Maryy47 Win User

Check the minimum password length password complexity and password history requirements

Hi all,

When I create a new user account or when I try to change a password, I have now this message :

Check the minimum password length password complexity and password history requirements

So, I have to create passwords with 14 characters at least, I don't know why.

I didn't change anything on my AD server. And "Password must meet complexity requirements" is disabled. I tried to enable it and set "minimum password length" to 2 characters. But it doesn't change anything, I still have to create passwords with 14 chararters
    at least.

Do you know what could be the cause of this issue ? We have a windows 2012 server.

Thanks !

Maryy47, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Bree Win User
    Error in changing password. Doesn't Password Policy Requirement

No, not a 'noob explanation' at all, it's very likely to be the reason.

No, they're not available in Home. It may just be the length requirement that has been set, that will produce the error that you quoted. In all editions you can set the password length requirement from a Command Prompt (Admin), Option Two in this tutorial...

6. Forgot Local account password

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you as you do not remember the local account password, we will help you with this issue.

Kindly let us know if you have Microsoft account on your computer.

If so, I suggest you to log-in with the Microsoft account and change the password for the local account.

Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key, type Settings
      and press Enter.
    • Then click on Change PC settings.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click
      Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap Accounts, and then click Sign-in options.
    • Tap Change your password and follow the instructions.

For reference: Passwords in Windows: FAQ

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Minimum Password

2. Reset minimum PIN length to 4 in Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset minimum PIN length to 4 in Windows Hello: HiWindows 10 HomeOffice 365 Business Premium I use a Windows 10 Home edition desktop. I have recently purchased a 10 user license for my charity of Office 365. To use this license on my home machine I had to add the account I have in the office 365 Admin centre to my windows...
  3. How to specify Minimum and Maximum PIN length in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to specify Minimum and Maximum PIN length in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In an earlier post, we covered how to enable & configure PIN Complexity Group […] This article How to specify Minimum and Maximum PIN length in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. Unable to change password for local account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to change password for local account: The Ctrl-Alt-Delete menu has no option for changing password. The User Accounts panel from what remains of the decent Control Panel redirects me to the Settings app. The Settings app Accounts -> Sign-in options has Change disabled for Password. Microsoft cloud login is not...
  5. Specify Minimum Length for BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Specify Minimum Length for BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Originally, BitLocker allowed from 4 to 20 characters for a PIN. Now, the minimum length for the BitLocker PIN was increased to 6 characters to better align with other Windows features that leverage TPM 2.0. To help organizations with the [...] This post...
  6. minimum password length more than 15?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    minimum password length more than 15?: Hi there, recently I try to setup my company's 10 security policy, one of the key setting is minimum password length in "Local Security Policy" ==> Account Policies ==> Password Policies, there is an parameter "Minimum password Length" in the explain section, it says...
  7. Local Account Password changed

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Account Password changed: Hi, I have linked my Windows 10 app store to a BT provided email address. After rebooting it has asked me to login. It has changed my local account from my name to my BT email address and asking for a password. This is not my normal password and has seemed to link my BT...
  8. Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10: How to: Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 How to Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 [img] Information When you TPM, you can choose to unlock the OS drive at startup with a PIN. Originally, BitLocker allowed...
  9. Change Maximum & Minimum Password Age for Local Accounts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Maximum & Minimum Password Age for Local Accounts in Windows 10: How to: Change Maximum & Minimum Password Age for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Change Maximum and Minimum Password Age for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [img] Information Password expiration is a feature in Windows that forces a local account on the PC to change...
  10. Specify Maximum and Minimum PIN Length in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify Maximum and Minimum PIN Length in Windows 10: How to: Specify Maximum and Minimum PIN Length in Windows 10 [img] Information PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to...