Windows 10: Turn On or Off Friendly Dates in Windows 10 File Explorer

Discus and support Turn On or Off Friendly Dates in Windows 10 File Explorer in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Friendly Dates in Windows 10 File Explorer How to Turn On or Off Friendly Dates in Windows 10 File Explorer Starting with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by BugMeister, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Turn On or Off Friendly Dates in Windows 10 File Explorer

How to: Turn On or Off Friendly Dates in Windows 10 File Explorer

How to Turn On or Off Friendly Dates in Windows 10 File Explorer

Starting with Windows 10 build 18277, Microsoft said and build 18305, "Some Insiders may notice small differences in File Explorer over the coming flights well have more to share later about this later.".

One difference that was noticed is a new Show dates in conversational format (aka: friendly dates) setting in the View tab of Folder Options.

Show dates in conversational format (if available) is turned on by default starting with build 18277. If you would prefer to see your dates in the usual formal format, then you could turn off Show dates in conversational format.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to show dates in a conversation format for friendly dates in File Explorer for your account in Windows 10.

Turn On or Off Friendly Dates in Windows 10 File Explorer [​IMG]
    Warning Mentioned in the Windows 10 build 18890 release notes, Microsoft has decided not to roll out Friendly Dates to users as part of the 19H1 release. Insiders will see this option go away starting today, regardless of build number.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Show Dates in Conversational Format in File Explorer using Folder Options
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Show Dates in Conversational Format in File Explorer using a REG file
    • Option Three: Turn On or Off Show Dates in Conversational Format in File Explorer from Column in File Explorer

EXAMPLE: "Show dates in conversational format" turned on and off in File Explorer

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Show Dates in Conversational Format in File Explorer using Folder Options
    1. Open Folder Options.

2. Click/tap on the View tab, check (default) or uncheck Use friendly dates in "Advanced settings" for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Show Dates in Conversational Format in File Explorer using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

FriendlyDates DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Show Dates in Conversational Format in File Explorer
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_Show_dates_in_conversational_format_in_File_Explorer.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Show Dates in Conversational Format in File Explorer
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_Show_dates_in_conversational_format_in_File_Explorer.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If File Explorer is currently open, then either refresh (F5) or close and reopen File Explorer to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

OPTION THREE [/i] Turn On or Off Show Dates in Conversational Format in File Explorer from Column in File Explorer
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. While in details view, right click on the Date modified column, and click/tap on Use friendly dates to toggle it on (checked - default) or off (unchecked). (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

BugMeister, Nov 7, 2017
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Ztruker Win User
    Turn On or Off Show Dates in Conversational Format in File Explorer using Folder Options

My friendly date is formatted the same as all my other dates and I didn't do anything special to make that happen:

Ztruker, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Turn On or Off Friendly Dates in Windows 10 File Explorer

File Explorer Date Created and Modified not always correct

Hi,

The File Explorer may have encountered a system conflict that caused this issue. For us to start with initial troubleshooting, we'd like to know more information, kindly answer the following questions:

• Which build and version of Windows 10 do you have?
    • In File Explorer, what does it indicate in the Date column? Does it show Date Modified or Date Created? (right click the Date Modified section at the top, which are the ones that has a checkmark?)
    • Which troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Kindly get back to us for further assistance.

Xylee Del, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Downloads folder default view changed to friendly dates after installing the official May 2019 update and can't remove it

Perform the reverse steps in this article:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-10-ena...

Information in the above link is sourced from a trusted Microsoft MVP blog.

Andre for Directly, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Frick Win User
    Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Turn On or Off Friendly Dates in Windows 10 File Explorer :p

Frick, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Friendly Dates in Windows 10 File Explorer

1. Turn On or Off Friendly Dates in Windows 10 File Explorer - Similar Threads - Turn Off Friendly

2. turn off auto arrange in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    turn off auto arrange in file explorer: I want to manually arrange image files in a folder, then save so arrangement persist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-auto-arrange-in-file-explorer/b9710100-4d2f-48f7-980a-4201b711463e
  3. turn off auto arrange in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    turn off auto arrange in file explorer: I want to manually arrange image files in a folder, then save so arrangement persist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-auto-arrange-in-file-explorer/b9710100-4d2f-48f7-980a-4201b711463e
  4. turn off auto arrange in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Friendly dates in File Explorer

Friendly dates in File Explorer: I have two laptops running the same latest updated version of Window 10. On one, all my File Explorer dates are in the newer "Friendly Dates" format introduced with, I believe, 1903, while the other uses the older style file date format. Neither one shows the "Use Friendly...
  6. Turn off Visible Checkboxes on Windows 10 File Explorer

Turn off Visible Checkboxes on Windows 10 File Explorer: So for some reason, all of the checkboxes in my file explorer are visible. It wasn't like this a few hours ago, and seems to have happened while I wasn't using my computer. Here's what mine looks like: [ATTACH] And here's what it used to look like what I want mine to look...
  7. File Explorer: Date

File Explorer: Date: In File Explorer what does Date mean in comparison to Date Modified or Date Created? What date information does it provide? It is the default date format listed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-date/4614f159-9281-43d2-a1ea-3669f9a9abc0
  8. Cannot turn off auto date

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Cannot turn off auto date: Please forgive my original post,mislaid my glasses so spelling was atrocious. I turned on Auto Date in Word 2016/Office 365,which worked as i expected current date automatically added to new documents. However the problem i have is that the auto date also changes the date...
  9. "Show Hidden Files" In File Explorer Automatically Turns Off

in Windows 10 Support
    "Show Hidden Files" In File Explorer Automatically Turns Off: UPDATE: Fixed myself with a couple of registry editing. *Biggrin Hey, so I noticed recently I couldn't look at hidden files (and I could for a long time), so I checked the "Show Hidden Files" checkbox. It automatically turned off... Tried a reboot, no progress. I am an...
  10. Can I turn off "Recent Files" in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I turn off "Recent Files" in File Explorer?: Every time I open file explorer it displays my recent files. I would like to turn this feature off. If I can't find my own files without recent files, you can have my computer. Why does Windows 10 want to hold our hand on everything? You know those little kids in the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off download dates in file explorer