Windows 10: Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10

Discus and support Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10 When you System Restore. These will appear alongside the other restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Aldo Bonilla Quiros, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10

How to: Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10

When you System Restore. These will appear alongside the other restore points as 'type Backup' when you tick the box for 'Show more restore points' in System Restore.

Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Unlike conventional restore points, the files and registry settings are not restored from a shadow copy saved on the local machine. Rather they are restored from a system image located on another drive, typically an external HDD. They can only be restored while the System Image is available.

The correct way to delete old unwanted system images is to Manage Space for Windows Backup. Doing so will both delete a System Image and remove its associated System Image Restore Point. This can only be done while the System Image is still available. If it was stored on an external drive that drive will need to be connected.

In the case where System Images may have been deleted manually (or the drive they were on is no longer available) these restore points remain but are of no further use. There is no tool available in Windows 10 to remove such orphaned restore points.

System Protection can delete restore points that are local shadow copies. A System Image Restore Point is described as type 'Backup' and is not a shadow copy. It is Metadata that points to the drive containing the backup. These Backup restore points will remain after deleting all other types of restore points.

Restore point of all types are stored in the hidden and protected C:\System Volume Information folder. The metadata for System Image Restore Points is stored in the C:\System Volume Information\WindowsImageBackup folder.

While there are no tools provided in Windows 10 to remove orphaned System Image Restore Points, the metadata can be deleted manually. This tutorial will tell you how to do that.

Starting with the 'Fall Creators Update' (version 1709, build 16299) Microsoft's built-in System Image Backup is a deprecated feature and Microsoft recommend that you no longer use it.

System Image Backup (SIB) Solution
    We recommend that users use full-disk backup solutions from other vendors.

Here's How:

1 Boot to Advanced Startup Options from Settings (recommended) from Start > Settings >Update & Security > Recovery > Advance Startup. Alternatively, boot to Advanced Startup from a Recovery Drive or from a Windows 10 Installation USB or DVD

2 In Advanced Startup open a Command Prompt.

When you boot to Advanced Startup from Settings your Windows System drive should have the same drive letter as it has while in Windows, normally C:

When booting from a recovery drive or install media it may appear with a different letter.

3 To check what drive letter your Windows system is on, type the command DISKPART then at the Diskpart prompt type LIST VOL then EXIT. You will now see a list of all drives.

4 If you booted to Advanced Startup from Settings then the Windows system will normally be the C: drive. If you used a recovery drive or install media it may have a different letter. Whatever the letter is, type it followed by a colon to switch to that drive. If, like the example above, it is the C: drive then type the command C:

5 Use the CD (change directory) command to go to the WindowsImageBackup folder: CD System Volume Information\WindowsImageBackup

6 Use the DIR command to check you are in the right folder, then use DEL commands DEL Catalog\*.* and DEL SPPMetadataCache\*.* to delete the contents of each of the Catalog and SPPMetadataCache folders.

7 You have now cleared the Metadata for all System Image Restore Points. Close the command prompt window (or type EXIT) to restart the PC and go back to Windows.

8 All System Image Restore Points of type Backup will now have been removed from System Restore.

That's it,
    Bree

Related Tutorials

:)

Aldo Bonilla Quiros, Jul 29, 2018
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CDelete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10 :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CDelete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10 :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Windows 10 system image restore points unable to delete

Have deleted system image backups using the windows 10 suggested method. But 2 system image rstore points are still listed under other backups. Have tried all the suggested methods on the net and from the microsoft community, but the system image restore
    points remain. Even after deleting all but the last normal restore points. I guess I can just ignore them. Would appreciate any advice as nothing seems to remove them.

Aquarius 2015, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10

I know of no easier way to delete them, so here are the instructions.

A System Image restore point is describe as type 'Backup'.

First, go to Settings > Backup & Restore > Recovery and select the 'Restart now' button in Advanced Start-up.

When you get Advanced Start-up, select Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Command Prompt.

You will be asked to choose an administrator account and supply it's password, then the Command Prompt will open.

Type the commands DISKPART then LIST VOL and EXIT to see a list of all drives, in this example the Windows system is on the C: drive, yours may have a different letter. Whatever the letter is, type it followed by a colon to switch to that drive, in this example I typed C:

Then use the CD (change directory) command CD System Volume Information\WindowsImageBackup

Use the DIR command to check you are in the right folder, then use DEL to delete the contents of each of the Catalog and SPPMetadataCache folders.

Youn can now close the command prompt window (or type EXIT) to restart the PC and go back to Windows.

All System Image Restore points of type 'Backup' will now have gone.

5. Bree Win User

@jellyroll, You may be interested to know how these restore points ended up as orphans, and how you could have deleted your old system images in a manner that removes their restore points.

The only official way to remove a System Image Restore Point is to use Backup & Restore (Windows 7) to delete its associated System Image. Doing so will both delete a System Image and at the same time remove its specific System Image Restore Point. Deleting System Images any other way (or just loosing the HDD) results in a long list of undeletable useless restore points. *Sad

See this tutorial: Manage Space for Windows Backup in Windows 10

6. jellyroll Win User

Bree - The above tutorial link was very helpful for more insight into Backup and Restore functions. Thanks once again. *Smile

jellyroll, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10

1. Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Delete System Image

2. System restore point deleted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore point deleted.: Hello, so I created a restore point on my PC just a month ago and just I upgraded to Windows 11. After updating to Windows 11 I got some updates and I installed them but then I see that my Windows.old folder is deleted and I am stuck on Windows 11, so I went ahead and checked...
  3. System restore point deleted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore point deleted.: Hello, so I created a restore point on my PC just a month ago and just I upgraded to Windows 11. After updating to Windows 11 I got some updates and I installed them but then I see that my Windows.old folder is deleted and I am stuck on Windows 11, so I went ahead and checked...
  4. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  5. System image vs system restore points

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System image vs system restore points: What is the difference between system image and system restore points? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-vs-system-restore-points/3d530d13-e57c-4194-809a-c07c1a4f4804
  6. How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore: Windows 10 64-bit. When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an...
  7. System Restore deleted or damaged the restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore deleted or damaged the restore point: Hello: System Restore did not completed successfully. Your computer system files and settings were not changed. System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the Directory from the restore point. Source: %ProgramFiles%WindowsApps Destination: AppxStaging...
  8. System restore deleted all restore points.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore deleted all restore points.: Hello Yesterday my laptop had an update, im not even sure what kind of. Since the update i started experiencing visual bugs in video games. Of course i thought its in-game problem, but it wasn't. I checked the system restore, and I tried to restore my laptop to one day...
  9. System restore deleted all restore points.

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore deleted all restore points.: Hello Yesterday my laptop had an update, im not even sure what kind of. Since the update i started experiencing visual bugs in video games. Of course i thought its in-game problem, but it wasn't. I checked the system restore, and I tried to restore my laptop to one day...
  10. Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10: How to: Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10 How to Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10 system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. This can be handy if your PC isn't working well and you recently...