Windows 10: Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10 When Sticky Keys is turned on, you can press a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Scottyboy99, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10

When Sticky Keys is turned on, you can press a modifier key (SHIFT, CTRL, or ALT) and then another key in sequence rather than at the same time, to enter shifted (modified) characters and other key combinations. This way, you can press a modifier key and have it remain active until another key is pressed.

By default pressing a modifier key once latches the key down until the user presses a non-modifier key or clicks a mouse button. Pressing a modifier key twice locks the key until the user presses the key a third time.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Sticky Keys and adjust its settings for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Sticky Keys using Keyboard Shortcut
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Sticky Keys and Adjust Settings in Settings
    • Option Three: Turn On or Off Sticky Keys and Adjust Settings in Control Panel

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Sticky Keys using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. Press the Shift key five times to turn Sticky Keys on or off.

*note The keyboard shortcut will only work if turned on in Option Two or step 5C of Option Three. It is turned on by default.

2. By default, a sound will play indicating Sticky Keys was turned on (high pitch) or off (low pitch).

*note The sound will only play if turned on in step 5C of Option Three. It is turned on by default.

3. If you are wanting to turn on Sticky Keys, click/tap on Yes if prompted by the warning message below.

*note The warning message will only show if turned on in step 5C of Option Three. It is turned on by default.

Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Sticky Keys and Adjust Settings in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

2. Do step 3 (on) or step 4 (off) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Turn On Sticky Keys and Adjust Settings
    A) Click/tap on Keyboard on the left side, and turn on Press one key at a time for keyboard shortcuts under Use Sticky Keys on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Allow the shortcut key to start Sticky Keys for what you want.

C) Check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Show the Sticky Keys icon on the taskbar for what you want.

D) Check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Lock the modifier key when pressed twice in a row for what you want.

E) Check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Turn off Sticky Keys when two keys are pressed at the same time for what you want.

F) Check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Play a sound when a modifier key is pressed and released for what you want.

G) When finished, go to step 5 below.

4. To Turn Off Sticky Keys and Adjust Settings
    A) Click/tap on Keyboard on the left side, turn off Press one key at a time for keyboard shortcuts under Use Sticky Keys on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Allow the shortcut key to start Sticky Keys for what you want.

C) When finished, go to step 5 below.

5. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Turn On or Off Sticky Keys and Adjust Settings in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Ease of Access Center icon.

2. Click/tap on either the Make the keyboard easier to use or Make it easier to focus on tasks settings link. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (on/off) or step 5 (settings) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Turn On or Off Sticky Keys
    A) Check (on) or uncheck (off - default) Turn on Sticky Keys under Make it easier to type for what you want. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

5. To Adjust Settings for Sticky Keys
    A) Click/tap on the Set up Sticky Keys link under Turn on Sticky Keys under Make it easier to type. (see screenshot below)

B) Check (on) or uncheck (off - default) Turn on Sticky Keys for what you want. (see screenshot below)

C) Under Keyboard shortcut, check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Turn on Sticky Keys when SHIFT is pressed five times for what you want.
    • Check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Display a warning message when turning a setting on for what you want.
    • Check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Make a sound when turning a setting on or off for what you want.
    D) Under Options, check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Lock modifier keys when pressed twice in a row for what you want.

E) Under Options, check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Turn off Sticky Keys when two keys are pressed at once for what you want.

F) Under Feedback, check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Play a sound when modifier keys are pressed for what you want.

G) Under Feedback, check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Display the Sticky Keys icon on the taskbar for what you want.

H) When finished, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

6. When finished, you can close the Ease of Access Center if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Scottyboy99, Apr 21, 2016
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Sticky keys turning on after my computer sleeps

Hi,

Sticky Keys is a Windows Ease of Access feature that makes it possible to use keyboard shortcuts or type capital letters without needing to press more than one key at once. Since the sticky keys still turning back on when the Shift key is pressed 5 times, you
    can disable it by following the steps below:

• Press the Windows key.
    • Type "Turn on easy access keys".
    • Press the Enter key.
    • Click Set up Sticky Keys.
    • Uncheck Turn on Sticky Keys when SHIFT is pressed five times.
    • Click Apply.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    Sticky keys

Thank you for the information,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps provided by some community members on this

link

Hope it works. Let us know how it goes.

Remon Ont, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10

sticky keys

Hi,

Sticky keys dialog box appears when you have press the Shift key five times continuously. It also lets you use the Shift, Ctrl, ALT, or Windows Logo keys by pressing one key at a time. You can set up Sticky Keys from the Ease of Access Center on the Control
    Panel. Follow the steps below:

• Press the Shift key five times.
    • Once the dialog box appear, click the Go to the Ease of Access Center to disable keyboard shortcut link.
    • It will open the Set up Sticky Notes window in the Control Panel.
    • Uncheck Turn on Sticky Keys when SHIFT is pressed five times option.
    • You can also set the settings to your desired option.

After doing so, check if the same pop-up will appear while playing the game.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Anne Ros, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Yolvi Ell Win User
    renaming "Sethc.exe" file didn't fix sticky keys

Hi Grayson,

The Sticky keys feature was created to make certain keyboard shortcuts (like CTRL + ALT + DEL) easier for our users. To disable it, follow these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Type Turn on Easy Access keys and press Enter.
    • Click Setup Sticky Keys.
    • Uncheck Turn on Sticky Keys.
    • Uncheck Turn on Sticky Keys when SHIFT is pressed five times.

Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10 2133d374-db70-49d7-850a-4512e23bb7e4.png
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK.

Let us know if you have any other concerns about Sticky Keys.

Yolvi Ell, Oct 27, 2019
  6. ΕЖ幻Ж Win User
    sticky key can not be turn off.

sticky key can not be turn off.

I did try ease of access, control pan and website like this ( I can't turn off "sticky keys". )

after i turn it off and it shows the sticky key is off in the window, but it just did not change at all. when i open the ease of access or control pan it just shows the sticky key is on still.

ΕЖ幻Ж, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Sticky

2. Sticky Keys turning on when gaming. Already turned off all functionality for Sticky Keys.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sticky Keys turning on when gaming. Already turned off all functionality for Sticky Keys.: Hello, I've been having this issue persistently. This was an issue when I upgraded to Windows 11, and still persists after switching back to Windows 10. Currently, I am on Windows 10- I prefer it. ----------For both OS's, I did these: 1: Changed the sticky keys settings in...
  3. Sticky Keys turning on when gaming. Already turned off all functionality for Sticky Keys.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sticky Keys turning on when gaming. Already turned off all functionality for Sticky Keys.: Hello, I've been having this issue persistently. This was an issue when I upgraded to Windows 11, and still persists after switching back to Windows 10. Currently, I am on Windows 10- I prefer it. ----------For both OS's, I did these: 1: Changed the sticky keys settings in...
  4. Sticky keys won’t turn off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sticky keys won’t turn off.: I’ve tried turning off all the switches in settings and the sticky key is ctrl so every time I type it shows me the clipboard. I’m on win 11 if it helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sticky-keys-wont-turn-off/6abf839c-a62c-478d-b530-a19fd981ac6c
  5. Sticky keys won’t turn off.

Sticky keys won’t turn off.: I’ve tried turning off all the switches in settings and the sticky key is ctrl so every time I type it shows me the clipboard. I’m on win 11 if it helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sticky-keys-wont-turn-off/6abf839c-a62c-478d-b530-a19fd981ac6c
  6. The Sticky keys will not turn off on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Sticky keys will not turn off on Windows 11: I've tried several methods to turn it off under the ease of access settings however everytime when I turn off and on my laptop it's makes the sounds again. Please help!Edit: I checked my Ease of access settings page and everything is unchecked. However strange part is when I...
  7. The Sticky keys will not turn off on Windows 11

The Sticky keys will not turn off on Windows 11: I've tried several methods to turn it off under the ease of access settings however everytime when I turn off and on my laptop it's makes the sounds again. Please help!Edit: I checked my Ease of access settings page and everything is unchecked. However strange part is when I...
  8. Nothing works to turn off sticky keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nothing works to turn off sticky keys: Windows 10, I accidentally turned on sticky keys. Under "ease of access - sticky keys" I have the 2 shortcut keys shift X 5 and press two keys checked. Neither works. Turning "Use sticky keys" to off doesn't work. Saying "no" to the dialog box when asked if I want to use...
  9. Nothing works to turn off sticky keys

Nothing works to turn off sticky keys: Windows 10, I accidentally turned on sticky keys. Under "ease of access - sticky keys" I have the 2 shortcut keys shift X 5 and press two keys checked. Neither works. Turning "Use sticky keys" to off doesn't work. Saying "no" to the dialog box when asked if I want to use...
  10. Sticky keys won't turn off

in Windows 10 Support
    Sticky keys won't turn off: Have searched forum ... lots of answers but none work. Have physiccal problems and fingers don't always do what I 'tell' them too (like releaase a key immediately -see what I mean) 52414