Windows 10: Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate Browsing in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate Browsing in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate Browsing in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate Browsing in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate Browsing in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate Browsing in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate Browsing in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate Browsing in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

Microsoft Edge has an InPrivate browsing feature. When you use InPrivate tabs, your browsing data (like cookies, history, or temporary files) isn't stored on your PC after you're done. Microsoft Edge deletes temporary data from your PC after all of your InPrivate tabs are closed.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate browsing for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate browsing.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate browsing in Group Policy
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate browsing using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Microsoft Edge InPrivate browsing disabled

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate browsing in Group Policy

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education Option TWO below instead.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge

3. In the right pane of Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Turn off InPrivate browsing policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Microsoft Edge InPrivate browsing
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate browsing
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate browsing using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main

AllowInPrivate DWORD

0 = disable
    delete or 1 = enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Microsoft Edge InPrivate browsing
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Microsoft_Edge_InPrivate_Browsing.reg

Download

3. To Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate browsing
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Microsoft_Edge_InPrivate_Browsing.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 30, 2017
  2. Time Lady Win User
    Time Lady, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Microsoft’s Edge browser may be storing private browsing data

Read more: Microsoft's Edge browser may be storing private browsing data | The Verge

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. How do you disable inprivate browsing (permanently) in Edge on W10 Mobile?

Hello John,

When you use InPrivate tabs or window, your browsing data such as your history, temporary internet files, and cookies is not saved on your device once you close/exit the app.
    Thus, disabling InPrivate browsing feature in Microsoft Edge on a Windows 10 Mobile is unavailable.

Since this feature isn't available, we request that you submit this on our Windows Feedback Hub app to make this feature better. Please follow the steps below:

• Go to All Apps, search for the Feedback Hub app or press and hold
      Volume Down+Power button for about 2-3 seconds to launch the app.
    • Open the menu icon at the top left side.
    • Select Feedback, then at the top right side, tap the add button (+).
    • Select Suggestion and fill up the box with the details needed.
    • Select the right category for the suggestion and then submit.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Timoteo IV Ofr, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Jay Jap Win User
    inprivate browsing

Thank you for the feedback, David. Generally, InPrivate browsing will not be active and need to be initiated manually. If
    InPrivate browsing opens when you try to launch Internet Explorer, you can try these steps to disable it:

• Right-click on the Internet Explorer icon and click-on
      Properties
    • Under Target, the path should be "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" (with the quotation marks.) If
      -inprivate is suffixed, removed it and click the OK button.

Let us know how it goes.

Jay Jap, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge InPrivate Browsing in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Microsoft

2. Microsoft Edge Inprivate browsing disabled for some reason?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Edge Inprivate browsing disabled for some reason?: [ATTACH] I checked family.microsoft.com but I do not have a family group. submitted by /u/Auxes1s [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ie8v4i/microsoft_edge_inprivate_browsing_disabled_for/
  3. Inprivate browsing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Inprivate browsing: Do I need to have admin rights when browsing inprivate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inprivate-browsing/11655c3e-d418-496f-b8e0-d18f5f4f66c6
  4. Taskbar - Inprivate Browsing Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar - Inprivate Browsing Not Working: Hi folks, Having a bit of a strange issue with Windows 10 Taskbar Jump Lists. I have Internet Explorer/Firefox pinned to the taskbar. If I right click on the icon and select "Start InPrivate Browsing" in IE or "New private window" in Firefox, I get the error "The item you...
  5. InPrivate browsing

in Browsers and Email
    InPrivate browsing: I never used this function so what is the purpose behind it. If it is so good why not make all browsers private. Thanks 105736
  6. InPrivate Browsing not opening

in Browsers and Email
    InPrivate Browsing not opening: I open up Edge and when I go to click on InPrivate Browsing it does nothing. I asked my friend and he said it opened right up. I can't find anything on it. Using the Ctrl+Shift+P isn't doing anything either. In addition, Chrome is missing incognito mode. Hotkey not working...
  7. New InPrivate Window will not enable in Edge

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New InPrivate Window will not enable in Edge: Since receiving Microsoft's latest Anniversary Update I have not been able to use the New InPrivate Window as the feature remains grayed out. Does anybody have any help or suggestions as to how I can enable this feature as my searches and questions to other sites have left me...
  8. Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster,...
  9. Enable or Disable Printing in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Printing in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Printing in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Printing in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster,...
  10. Open New InPrivate Browsing Window in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open New InPrivate Browsing Window in Microsoft Edge: How to: Open New InPrivate Browsing Window in Microsoft Edge [img] Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web. Microsoft...