Windows 10: Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account

Discus and support Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account How to Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account

How to: Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account

How to Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account

Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account [​IMG]
    Information If you like, you can enable password expiration for your Microsoft account (MSA) to make you change your password every 72 days.

When your password has expired, you will still be able to sign in to your Microsoft account using the old password, but you won’t be able to continue using Microsoft services without changing the password first.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable password expiration for your Microsoft account.

Warning You will be required to change the password of your Microsoft Account in the process to enable or disable password expiration for your Microsoft account.

Here's How:

1. Go the Change your password webpage for your Microsoft account at Microsoft, and sign in to your account at the site if not already.

2. If prompted to verify, type in the current password of your Microsoft account, and click/tap on Sign-in. (see screenshot below)

3. Type in your current password, type in a new password, and reenter password. (see screenshot below step 4)

Note Passwords for a Microsoft account must have at least 8 characters and contain at least two of the following: uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.

You must choose a password that you haven't used before. To help protect your account, you need to choose a new password every time you reset or change it.

4. Check (enable) or uncheck (disable - default) the Make me change my password every 72 days box for what you want to enable or disable password expiration, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 12, 2017

2. Windows 10 Password Expiration - Enable or Disable

The procedure to disable password expiration listed in prior posts does not work in Windows 10.

The Local User Groups Manager reports:

"This snapin may not be used with this edition of Windows 10.

To manage user accounts for this computer, use the User

Accounts tool in the Control Panel"

But that Windows 10 Control Panel tool does not have an option to Disable the password expiration

I'm using Windows 10 Home - up to date of this post

PastorTylerDaniels, Oct 26, 2019
  3. iSumZheng Win User
    Windows 10 Password Expiration - Enable or Disable

The password expiration is one of properties for user accounts on Windows. This property is disabled by default on Windows 10/8/7. If the password expiration is enabled, once the deadline is up, Windows will alert that your
    password has expired and must be changed
    . You can fix this problem, click link to see the solution.

Here this guide will show you 2 ways to disable password expiration.

Option 1: disable password expiration in Local User and Group

Step 1: Open Local User and Group.

Press Win + R to open Run dialog, type in
    lusrmgr.msc
    , then click OK.

Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account 83d4bcda-c051-4df5-974a-788964ed7cb9.png

Step 2: Click on User folder, double-click on a user account that you want to disable its password expiration.

Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account 02f171cc-3d59-4e0a-8773-c49b433498ed.png

Step 3: In Properties dialog, select the General tab, check the
    Password never expires checkbox, then click Apply followed by
    OK.

Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account 54e7d290-81b6-4ac3-ac23-b2a59b8554cc.png

Option 2: disable password expiration in Command Prompt

Step 1: Open and run Command Prompt as an administrator.

To do: Press Windows logo key+ X, and hit A
    key on keyboard.

Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account 294ccd0d-c409-4014-a29c-2f17dbf860e8.png

Step 2: In the opening window, type in wmic UserAccount where Name='username' set PasswordExpires=False, and press
    Enter key to execute this command.

Tip: Replace the username with your user name.

False = Disabled

True = Enabled

Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account 983d5605-2a0f-4353-a483-5aa8ba2e3052.png

When it shows Property(s) update successful, the user’s password expiration is disabled.

Step 3: If you want to disable password expiration for all user accounts at once, type
    wmic UserAccount set PasswordExpires=False, and press the
    Enter
    key.

Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account 51a225f6-b300-44d7-b679-f103de1c4118.png

When finished, close the Command Prompt window.

iSumZheng, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Barman58 Win User

Barman58, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Disabling need to change log in password periodically

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below methods for disabling the option password expires and check if it helps.

• Right click on the “windows start icon” and click on
      “computer management”.
    • Expand “local users and groups” and click on “users” option.
    • On the screen you will find all the user accounts that are in your computer, I suggest you to select the appropriate
      user account that you need to disable the password expire option.
    • Double click on the user account and you will get a new Window, there check the box
      “Password never expires” option.
    • Click on “Apply” and then “Ok”.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 10 Password Expiration - Enable or Disable

Hi,

Apology for the inconvenience. If your friend is using Microsoft account to login to her account then password is necessary. If she is using Microsoft account and unable to login with that account then
    I would suggest you to try the steps provided by Cliff N in the thread mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Why can’t I sign into Windows 8 with my Microsoft Account?

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Password

2. Money in your Microsoft account expired ????

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Money in your Microsoft account expired ????: I had $60.00 In my Microsoft account i got from Rockstar Energy as a promotion, I spent $22 of it, saving the rest for when something comes up that i actually want. And today i tried to spend it, and i notice that it is gone, Zeroed out again !After a little research i decide...
  3. Enable / disable password at :

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Enable / disable password at :: Hi there *Cool I am busy making several scripts into an autohotkey menu (gui) currently i am @ the network section *Tongue With the .regs i overcome alot of hurdles, but the one i am lost to is the change of this radio button : Password protected sharing in the network...
  4. Set a Password Expiration Date for Microsoft Account and Local Account

in Windows 10 News
    Set a Password Expiration Date for Microsoft Account and Local Account: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Most of us have a habit of keeping using the same password for a long time. It’s dangerous, mainly if the password is in use at multiple places. It is possible that in a security breach, the password was open [...] This post Set a Password Expiration Date...
  5. Your Microsoft license will expire soon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Your Microsoft license will expire soon: I keep getting this pop up that leads to this settings page. what am I supposed to do?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/your-microsoft-license-will-expire-soon/b6e708f3-eb0d-4185-9c22-ca95b3fc0085
  6. Windows 10 Home password expires enable

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Home password expires enable: I need to enable password expiration in the system. The net accounts command has set the password to max 30 days but the password does not change. By checking net user "UserName" I get information that the password never expires for a this user. I do not have the ability to...
  7. Enable or Disable Passwordless Sign-in for Microsoft Accounts

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Passwordless Sign-in for Microsoft Accounts: How to: Enable or Disable Passwordless Sign-in for Microsoft Accounts How to Enable or Disable Passwordless Sign-in for Microsoft Accounts in Windows 10 For improved security and a more seamless sign-in experience, you can now enable passwordless sign-in for Microsoft...
  8. Enable or Disable Syncing Passwords in Windows 10 Sync Your Settings

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Syncing Passwords in Windows 10 Sync Your Settings: How to: Enable or Disable Syncing Passwords in Windows 10 Sync Your Settings How to Enable or Disable Syncing Passwords in Sync Your Settings on a Windows 10 PC When Microsoft account. Notes Sync settings also works if you sign in with a work or school account...
  9. Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Local Accounts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Local Accounts in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [img] Information Password expiration is a feature in Windows that forces a maximum (42 days by default) and...
  10. Enable or Disable PIN Expiration in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable PIN Expiration in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable PIN Expiration in Windows 10 [img] Information PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to choose for your signon password not to expire in windows 10