Windows 10: Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint (mspaint) in Windows 10

Discus and support Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint (mspaint) in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint (mspaint) in Windows 10 How to Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint (mspaint) in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint (mspaint) in Windows 10

How to: Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint (mspaint) in Windows 10

How to Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint (mspaint) in Windows 10

Microsoft Paint (formerly Paintbrush) is a simple raster graphics editor that has been included with all versions of Microsoft Windows. The program opens and saves files in Windows bitmap (BMP), JPEG, GIF, PNG, and single-page TIFF formats. The program can be in color mode or two-color black-and-white, but there is no grayscale mode.

In July 2017, Microsoft added Paint to the list of deprecated Windows features and announced that it would become a free standalone application in Microsoft Store, and also included a warning in the Paint application that it eventually won't be installed by default. However, Paint continued to be included with Windows 10 in later builds, and eventually an update removed the deprecation warning from the app.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18980, Microsoft converted MS Paint into an Option Feature for you to uninstall or reinstall to save disk space if needed.

This tutorial will show you how to install or uninstall the classic Microsoft Paint (mspaint) app for all users in Windows 10.

While you can uninstall Microsoft Paint if wanted, it currently will fail to reinstall afterwards.

Until this is fixed in a future build of Windows 10, you can do a repair install of Windows 10 to restore Microsoft Paint.

Contents
    • Option One: Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint in Optional Features
    • Option Two: Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint in Command Prompt

EXAMPLE: Microsoft Paint

Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint (mspaint) in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint in Optional Features
    1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Apps icon.

2 Click/tap on Apps & features on the left side, and click/tap on the Optional features link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3 Do step 4 (install) or step 5 (uninstall) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Install Microsoft Paint
    This is the default setting.

A) Click/tap on Add a feature. (see screenshot below)

B) Scroll down, check Microsoft Paint, click/tap on Install, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. To Uninstall Microsoft Paint
    A) Scroll down, click/tap on Microsoft Paint under Installed features, click/tap on the Uninstall button, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshots below)

6 You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint in Command Prompt
    You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

1 Open an elevated command prompt.

2 Do step 3 (install) or step 4 (uninstall) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Install Microsoft Paint
    This is the default setting.

A) Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 5 below.

DISM /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:Microsoft.Windows.MSPaint~~~~0.0.1.0

4. To Uninstall Microsoft Paint
    A) Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 5 below.

DISM /Online /Remove-Capability /CapabilityName:Microsoft.Windows.MSPaint~~~~0.0.1.0
    5 You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 20, 2018

2. Microsoft signals end of Paint program

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

BBC news Report here
    Microsoft Paint avoids brush with death

dorsetknob, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Why can't I remove paint 3D??? It will not let me uninstall it

MS is in the process of retiring "plain ole paint"; a.k.a. mspaint. It will more than likely be removed from Windows 10 in the near future. MS considers Paint 3D a MSPaint replacement. Just as you could not uninstall MSPaint, you cannot uninstall Paint 3D.
    This despite showing in Apps and features as an installed application which MSPaint did not; it was part of the OS. There are many applications that MS is now considering part of the OS or more appropriately Windows infrastructure; e.g. XBox app, Voice Recorder,
    View 3d, .... It's unfortunate that MS decided to not hide these in the app list. There would probably be less controversy or confusion.

The world b' a changing.

The Caffiend, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint (mspaint) in Windows 10

MS Paint

Hi Tawm,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

Method: 1

I suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Press windows key on the keyboard.
    • Type “Paint” & select the paint icon & hit enter.

Method: 2

• Press windows + R.
    • Type “MSpaint” hit enter.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Oct 27, 2019
  5. The King is Dead; Long Live the King - MS Paint's Announced Demise

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

dorsetknob, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Paint, win 10

Hi WaltCates

My name is Fernando. I am an Independent Advisor. I am here to guide you with your issue with Paint.

Sounds like something got corrupt with Paint. Try reinstalling.

Below are steps on how you can install or uninstall Microsoft Paint (MSPaint).

1. Open the Control Panel.

2. Double-click Add Remove Programs.

3. Click the Windows Setup Tab

4. Double-click the Accessories icon and uncheck paint

Then go back through the steps above except in step 4. Check Paint.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any questions and let me know how it goes.

Respectfully,

Fernando Y.

FernandoYebra1, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint (mspaint) in Windows 10

1. Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint (mspaint) in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Install Uninstall Microsoft

2. cannot install paint after uninstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot install paint after uninstall: Hi,I was not able to open MS paint in Win 11 so I uninstalled as suggested in some other comments but when I try to install paint from MS store I cannot install -...
  3. cannot install paint after uninstall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot install paint after uninstall: Hi,I was not able to open MS paint in Win 11 so I uninstalled as suggested in some other comments but when I try to install paint from MS store I cannot install -...
  4. Unable to Install Microsoft Paint in Windows 10

Unable to Install Microsoft Paint in Windows 10: I don't know WHY it isn't on my computer in the first place or how it got uninstalled, but I no longer have Microsoft Paint on my computer. I need the app for use with schoolwork, but I can't find a way to reinstall it. Support information on the official Microsoft was...
  5. Unable to Install Microsoft Paint in Windows 10

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to Install Microsoft Paint in Windows 10: I don't know WHY it isn't on my computer in the first place or how it got uninstalled, but I no longer have Microsoft Paint on my computer. I need the app for use with schoolwork, but I can't find a way to reinstall it. Support information on the official Microsoft was...
  6. Unable to Install Microsoft Paint in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. How to uninstall Paint 3D App in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to uninstall Paint 3D App in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Paint 3D is one of the best apps from Microsoft when it comes to photo editing. While many still like to use MS Paint, but if you want to add 3D effects to your images, this is the app you [...] This post How to uninstall Paint 3D App in Windows 10 is from...
  8. microsoft paint. What happened in paint windows 10.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    microsoft paint. What happened in paint windows 10.: Before windows 10 I could save a file, then open it up an change the color of an object. Now Windows 10 will only fill part of the object and it loos like I sprayed painted it.[ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  9. Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10: How to: Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10 How to Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10 Microsoft WordPad is a basic rich text editor first included with Microsoft Windows 95 and all versions of Windows since. It is more advanced than...
  10. MSPaint?

MSPaint?: I'm confused. I thought Microsoft Paint won't be available for Windows version 1709. Yet I can still use it when I right click an image and press Edit. (FYI the program is still located in the System32 folder). Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that it's still there, but did my...