Windows 10: Lock or Unlock Taskbar in Windows 10

Discus and support Lock or Unlock Taskbar in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Lock or Unlock Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Lock or Unlock the Taskbar in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Lock or Unlock Taskbar in Windows 10

How to: Lock or Unlock Taskbar in Windows 10

How to Lock or Unlock the Taskbar in Windows 10

Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to find, see, open, and switch between your apps. You can also see the specify how taskbar buttons group together when you have more than one window open.

If you have more than one display connected to your PC, then the taskbar will notification area on them.

You can keep the taskbar in one place by locking it, which can prevent accidental moving or resizing. If you unlock it, you can drag the taskbar to move it to the bottom, left or right side, or top of your display(s).

This tutorial will show you how to lock or unlock the taskbar for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Taskbar

Lock or Unlock Taskbar in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Lock or Unlock Taskbar from Taskbar

*note This option will not be available while you have tablet mode turned on.
    1. Right click or press and hold on the taskbar.

2. Click tap on Lock all taskbars (if you have multiple displays) or lock the taskbar (if you have single display) to check (lock) or uncheck (unlock) for what you want. (see screenshots below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Lock or Unlock Taskbar in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

2. Click/tap on Taskbar on the left side, and turn On (default) or Off the Lock the taskbar setting under Taskbar on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Lock or Unlock Taskbar using a BAT file

*note The .bat files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

TaskbarSizeMove DWORD

0 = Lock taskbar
    1 = Unlock taskbar

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Lock Taskbar
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Lock_Taskbar.bat

Download

3. To Unlock Taskbar
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Unlock_Taskbar.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

5. Unblock the .bat file.

6. Double click/tap on the .bat file to run it.

7. You will now notice your screen flicker as explorer is restarted.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 10, 2018
  2. dalchina Win User

toggle to switch taskbar location from bottom to right and back

Suggest you try simply dragging the taskbar with e.g. that command as a first step.

Then (and I don't know quite how you'd make use of it):

Unlocking taskbar: see Option 3 for useful info:
    Lock or Unlock Taskbar in Windows 10 | Tutorials

dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Lock or Unlock Taskbar

Windows - 10 -- What are the consequences of locking or unlocking the taskbar?

Fredrick B. Gruver, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Lock or Unlock Taskbar in Windows 10

Windows 10 Taskbar sometimes on top of full-screen applications

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to change the Screen Resolution and check if this helps. Follow the steps below to do the same:

• Press ‘Windows ’ key on the keyboard.
    • In the search box, type Settings
    • SelectSystem > Display > Advanced display settings.
    • Under Resolution, select a new value. We suggest you stick with the resolution marked
      "(Recommended)”.
    Also try locking and then unlocking the Taskbar and check if this helps. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click an empty space on the taskbar.
    • If Lock the Taskbar has a check mark next to it, the taskbar is locked.
    • If it does not have a check mark, click Lock the Taskbar.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Taskbar will not STAY resized, locked or unlocked

hi, this occurs on my 4 windows 10 machines after I installed the creators update. All of my PCs have the latest version. It occurs after a restart and after a shutdown even if the taskbar is locked or unlocked. I have locked the taskbar from the settings
    menu and by right clicking the task bar. Windows Version 1703, build 15063.483.

any suggestions?

Thank you

Ken

KenGribble, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Lock or Unlock Taskbar in Windows 10

1. Lock or Unlock Taskbar in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Lock Unlock Taskbar

2. Unlocked Taskbar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unlocked Taskbar?: Using Windows 11 Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621Hello, I want to unlock my taskbar from the bottom and move it to the left of my screen, but I cannot do that anymore. I attempted to use a third party patch for Explorer Explorer Patcher, but that only works to move my taskbar...
  3. Unlocked Taskbar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unlocked Taskbar?: Using Windows 11 Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621Hello, I want to unlock my taskbar from the bottom and move it to the left of my screen, but I cannot do that anymore. I attempted to use a third party patch for Explorer Explorer Patcher, but that only works to move my taskbar...
  4. Windows 10: Taskbar settings DO NOT include "lock/unlock" or "use small icons"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Taskbar settings DO NOT include "lock/unlock" or "use small icons": Since these two options are not available, I'm often stuck with either a hidden taskbar OR a half-hidden taskbar. SOMETIMES signing out and back in will fix this but not usually....
  5. Windows 10: Taskbar settings DO NOT include "lock/unlock" or "use small icons"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10: Taskbar settings DO NOT include "lock/unlock" or "use small icons": Since these two options are not available, I'm often stuck with either a hidden taskbar OR a half-hidden taskbar. SOMETIMES signing out and back in will fix this but not usually....
  6. Windows 10: Taskbar settings DO NOT include "lock/unlock" or "use small icons"

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows 11 Taskbar unlock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Taskbar unlock: Hello,How do I unlock the taskbar in Windows 11?Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-taskbar-unlock/d768c78d-b38f-4d96-bc99-e23e95f901e6
  8. Lock/Unlock Taskbar Not Working

Lock/Unlock Taskbar Not Working: Recently, I noticed that my taskbar has not been working the same. Firstly, if I fullscreen an app, the task bar at the bottom will still overlap the app itself, despite being unlocked. Previously, it automatically disappeared unless I moved my cursor to the bottom, then it...
  9. Lock or Unlock Taskbar

Lock or Unlock Taskbar: Windows - 10 -- What are the consequences of locking or unlocking the taskbar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-or-unlock-taskbar/b8e9ee84-49db-4584-aecf-7455261db846
  10. Windows 10 `Big' taskbar - unlock not available

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 `Big' taskbar - unlock not available: I am trying to fix a task bar that is occupying one third of the screen. In the right click context menu only four commands are displayed; Show app icons; Show all notification items; Show touch keyboard button and Show language switcher. Other commands,expected, such as Lock...