Windows 10: Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10

Discus and support Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10 A file name extension is a set of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10

How to: Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10

How to Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10

A file name extension is a set of characters added to the end of a file name that determine which app should open it. By default, File Explorer hides file name extensions in Windows 10. However, you can make file name extensions visible.

This tutorial will show you how to hide or show known file name extensions for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Hide or Show File Name Extensions using File Explorer Ribbon
    • Option Two: To Hide or Show File Name Extensions using File Explorer Options
    • Option Three: To Hide or Show File Name Extensions using a VBS file

EXAMPLE: File name extension

Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Hide or Show File Name Extensions using File Explorer Ribbon
    1. Open File Explorer.

2. Click/tap on the View tab, and check (show) or uncheck (hide - default) File name extensions in the ribbon for what you want. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Hide or Show File Name Extensions using File Explorer Options
    1. Open File Explorer Options.

2. Click/tap on the View tab, check (default) or uncheck Hide extensions for known file types for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Hide or Show File Name Extensions using a VBS file

*note The downloadable .vbs files below modify the DWORD value in the registry key below, then sends a refresh (F5) command to apply.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

HideFileExt DWORD

0 = Show
    1 = Hide

1. Do step 2 (hide) or step 3 (show) below for what you want.

2. To Hide Known File Name Extensions
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Hide_Known_Extensions_for_File_Types.vbs

Download

3. To Show Known File Name Extensions
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Show_Known_Extensions_for_File_Types.vbs

Download

4. Save the .vbs file to your desktop.

5. Unblock the .vbs file.

6. Run the .vbs file to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 17, 2016
  2. Brink Win User

Explorer shows file extensions suddenly

Hello Robbie, Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10 :)

You might see if one of the options in the tutorial below may be able to turn off showing known file extensions for you.

File Name Extensions - Hide or Show in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Can't Hide File Name Extension

I have a Problem, All my files are viewed with their File name extensions

Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10 09280f43-d24a-4f27-9879-0fe3747b8273.png

Whenever i Uncheck the "file name extensions" from the View Tab it disappear for a while and then return back ( i cant deselect it )

and tried to choose hide name extensions from the folder options menu and also it come back

UPDATE:

It was Bitdefender who make it always not hidden as a more security level

Mohamed Magdy Gomaa, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

How do I show file extensions?

Hello Alex, and welcome to Ten Forums. Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10 :)

You could use an option in the tutorial below to show known file extensions. It's for Windows 8.1, but it's the same in Windows 10.

File Name Extensions - Hide or Show in Windows 8

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. AlexBell Win User
    How do I show file extensions?

Thanks for the welcome, but I'm afraid I can't use your response. I have never used Window 8, and have no idea if there is a ribbon in Windows 10 or where to find it. I'm not even sure where the 'start button' is in Windows 10; is it the window icon on the far left of the task bar?

I'm sorry to be a nuisance, but really must ask you to do a detailed list like:
    - Click on start button
    - click on {whatever I should do next, and so on}

I'm afraid my knowledge of computers is very limited.

AlexBell, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Berton Win User
    Show files extension toogle in context menu

I use the folder options and just uncheck Hide folder extensions as I'm in File Explorer [renamed from Windows Explorer of earlier versions] daily doing file management work. I've never gotten my head wrapped around a logical reason to hide the extensions but then I've "come up in the ranks" from DOS of the early '90s.

*Arrow Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10 | Tutorials

Berton, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hide Show File

2. Can't hide file extensions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't hide file extensions: All of a sudden, the extensions on my files such as .docx and .pdf have started showing, and I'm unable to hide them. Unchecking "Show File Extensions" in File Explorer doesn't work, because it doesn't remain unchecked. Anyone know what's wrong and how I can fix this?...
  3. Can't hide file extensions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't hide file extensions: All of a sudden, the extensions on my files such as .docx and .pdf have started showing, and I'm unable to hide them. Unchecking "Show File Extensions" in File Explorer doesn't work, because it doesn't remain unchecked. Anyone know what's wrong and how I can fix this?...
  4. Unable to Uncheck Show hidden files and File name extensions.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Uncheck Show hidden files and File name extensions.: I can't disable/uncheck show hidden files and file name extensions.I've tried registry editor method , but it keeps check itself when i try to see hidden files again.I've seen someone discovering the same issue with me, but they're using bitdefender. Im using malwarebytes...
  5. Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?

Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?: Hello, I'm trying to figure out a way to easily upload CAD parts, but I'm running into an issue.The files are Creo Parametric files, and the way that Creo saves files is that it adds an extension starting at .1 and iterating by 1 each time it is saved, which is great because...
  6. Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?: Hello, I'm trying to figure out a way to easily upload CAD parts, but I'm running into an issue.The files are Creo Parametric files, and the way that Creo saves files is that it adds an extension starting at .1 and iterating by 1 each time it is saved, which is great because...
  7. Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File extensions, unable to hide

File extensions, unable to hide: Hello. I’m trying to hide file extensions in Word, Excel, etc. When I do the following nothing changes. I’ve tried this several times and also restarted my PC, and also tried Reset Folders, but nothing changes. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks. View>Options>Change folder...
  9. Cannot hide file extensions - Bitdefender

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot hide file extensions - Bitdefender: I installed Bitdefender Total Security 2019 yesterday and just realized today that the file extensions are showing. When I try to hide the extensions, it doesn't work. I realize that Bitdefender is the culprit but is there any way to get around this without uninstalling it?...
  10. Hide extensions for known file types unchecked

in Windows 10 Support
    Hide extensions for known file types unchecked: Hide extensions for known file types unchecked. I still can't see .exe extension all the others are ok. This just now happened; the .exe extensions where showing before... I must have changed something by mistake. Can anybody help me I get them back? Don Cole...