Windows 10: Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions

Discus and support Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions How to Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by DanielDC88, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions

How to: Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions

How to Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

The Address bar drop-down functionality in Microsoft Edge allows showing suggested search results when typing in the Microsoft Edge address bar (suggestions list).

If you like, you can configure the Allow Address bar drop-down list suggestions group policy setting that lets you decide whether the Address bar drop-down functionality is available in Microsoft Edge. Microsoft recommends disabling this setting if you want to minimize network connections from Microsoft Edge to Microsoft services.

If you enable or don't configure this setting, users can see the Address bar drop-down functionality in Microsoft Edge.

If you disable this setting, users won't see the Address bar drop-down functionality in Microsoft Edge. This setting also disables the user-defined setting, Show search and site suggestions as I type in Microsoft Edge settings.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the Address bar drop-down list suggestions functionality in Microsoft Edge for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the Address bar drop-down functionality in Microsoft Edge.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions enabled and disabled

Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge

3. In the right pane of Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow Address bar drop-down list suggestions policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you want.

5. To Enable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. You can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen it to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main

ShowOneBox DWORD

delete = Enable
    0 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you want.

2. To Enable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar_drop-down_list_suggestions.reg

Download

3. To Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar_drop-down_list_suggestions.reg

Download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen it to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

DanielDC88, Nov 10, 2015
  2. brummyfan Win User

IE11 address bar suggestions

Hi,
    Go to Internet Options, click Autocomplete Settings in Content tab, tick "Suggesting URLs" box and click OK.

brummyfan, Oct 27, 2019
  3. IE11 address bar suggestions

I prefer IE11 over edge but one thing I noticed is when I start typing an address or search term in the address bar I only get a list of some historical sites. There is no drop down showing any suggestions (which I see on my other Windows 7 machine). If I type a word and press enter the search does work as the results are all displayed in the main browser window. It's just the drop down suggestions as you type I am wondering about. Does the feature even work on Windows 10? I thought it would of been enabled by default - how does one enable this feature? I'm not bothered if it's Bing or google powered, would just like it to work.

cheers
    Wayne

Scottyboy99, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Ivan Ho Win User

Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions

Microsoft Edge: Paste URL into address bar

Been using browsers since 1994's Netscape and never thought I would be asking such a question *Biggrin

But...

I am unable to paste a URL into the Microsoft Edge address bar. It appears the issue goes back > 4 years; and although I have searched extensively for a solution, no suggestions have resolved the issue. I can paste clipboard URL into Chrome or FF or Notepad or Word or [You name the app here], but not in the Edge address bar. AND, it is not limited to the address bar; I cannot paste anything into the search bar either. I can type in either bar, just not able to paste clipboard data.

I have tried all of the following, to no avail:

1) Click in address or search bar or Ctrl + L, then Ctrl + V
    2) Click in address or search bar or Ctrl + L, right-mouse click and select "Paste"
    3) Settings | App | Microsoft Edge | Advanced options | Repair
    4) Settings | App | Microsoft Edge | Advanced options | Reset
    5) Open Edge Settings | Privacy & security | Show search and site suggestions as I type: Disable (i.e., turn off)

I have seen no other suggestions, as of yet.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Windows version: 64-bit Windows 10 1903 (clean install--new laptop; not an update from other version/build)
    Edge version: 44.18362.267.0
    Edge HTML version: 18.18362

Ivan Ho, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Microsoft Edge Address Bar

Hi Zach,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to open actual address of websites with short forms as you wish:

• Open Microsoft Edge, click on More actions(...) at the right top corner.
    • Click on View advanced settings, under Search in the address bar with
      click on down arrow.
    • Choose <add new>, try to add the default website.
    Secondly, as opening pages in new tab is set by design, I suggest you to provide this as a feedback.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Firefox Address Bar Suggestions

I do see below

Josey Wales, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions

1. Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Microsoft

2. Strange drop-down menu in Chrome address bar...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange drop-down menu in Chrome address bar...: ...which stops me from writing anything there. How do I get rid of this? The first thing on this menu is "Emoji". Very annoying, I think it was my little son who accidentally managed to enter a short commando and I cannot find any solution when I google this problem. Please...
  3. How to Enable or Disable Address Bar Drop-down List Suggestions in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Address Bar Drop-down List Suggestions in Microsoft Edge: [ATTACH]When you hop on the Microsoft Edge browser to visit a website, the usual […] This article How to Enable or Disable Address Bar Drop-down List Suggestions in Microsoft Edge first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. Enable Rich Address Bar Autocompletion Suggestions in Chrome browser

in Windows 10 News
    Enable Rich Address Bar Autocompletion Suggestions in Chrome browser: [ATTACH]Google Chrome is the world’s most popular web browsers that have lots of hidden […] This article Enable Rich Address Bar Autocompletion Suggestions in Chrome browser first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. How to disable Address bar Search suggestions in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable Address bar Search suggestions in Microsoft Edge: [ATTACH]While typing in the address bar, Microsoft Edge shows key phrases and links from History or Bookmarks. If you want to disable address bar search […] This article How to disable Address bar Search suggestions in Microsoft Edge first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  6. How to re-enable address bar in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    How to re-enable address bar in Edge: Version 1903 OS Build 18362.533 Since yesterday I have been unable to type in the address bar or the Bing Search box. I can't even use copy/paste to get something in it. I found various suggestions of which I am using the link How to Reinstall Microsoft Edge Browser in...
  7. Mail App: Removing drop down email address suggestions

in Browsers and Email
    Mail App: Removing drop down email address suggestions: I'm not a big fan of the MS Mail program and don't really use it for serious stuff but somehow or other if I create a new email then as I start to enter the recipients address a whole load of suggestions will appear. I don't have any contacts in the People app so I'm not sure...
  8. IE11 address bar suggestions

in Browsers and Email
    IE11 address bar suggestions: I prefer IE11 over edge but one thing I noticed is when I start typing an address or search term in the address bar I only get a list of some historical sites. There is no drop down showing any suggestions (which I see on my other Windows 7 machine). If I type a word and...
  9. Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge: How to: Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge How to Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is...
  10. Enable or Disable Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be...