Windows 10: Enable or Disable Snipping Tool in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Snipping Tool in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Snipping Tool in Windows How to Enable or Disable Snipping Tool in Windows [img] Information The Snipping Tool is an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Snipping Tool in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Snipping Tool in Windows

How to Enable or Disable Snipping Tool in Windows

Enable or Disable Snipping Tool in Windows [​IMG]
    Information The Snipping Tool is an app included in Windows that users can use to capture screenshots. Use it to save and share news stories, movie reviews, or recipes.

Capture all or part of your PC screen, add notes, save the snip, or email it from the Snipping Tool window. You can capture any of the following types of snips:
    • Free-form snip - Draw a free-form shape around an object.
    • Rectangular snip - Drag the cursor around an object to form a rectangle.
    • Window snip - Select a window, such as a browser window or dialog box, that you want to capture.
    • Full-screen snip - Capture the entire screen.
    After you capture a snip, it's automatically copied to the Snipping Tool window. From there you can annotate, save, or share the snip.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the Snipping Tool for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the Snipping Tool.

Note Starting with Screen Sketch app and let us know how it’s working for you. Screen Sketch gives you all of the functionality of the Snipping Tool with additional improvements.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Snipping Tool using Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Snipping Tool using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Snipping Tool enabled and disabled

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Snipping Tool using Local Group Policy Editor

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Tablet PC\Accessories

3. In the right pane of Accessories in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Do not allow Snipping Tool to run policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Snipping Tool
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Snipping Tool
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Snipping Tool using a REG file

Note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\TabletPC

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\TabletPC

DisableSnippingTool DWORD

0 or delete = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Snipping Tool
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Snipping_Tool.reg

Download

3. To Disable Snipping Tool
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Snipping_Tool.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 7, 2015

2. Disable Snipping Tool

Hi,

From the above description I understand you'd like to disable the snipping tool.

If you have a Pro/Enterprise edition, you should be able to do this via group policy.

Let’s follow below mentioned steps and check if that helps:

1. Type gpedit.msc in Cortana and press Enter to open Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates >
    Windows Components > Tablet PC > Accessories > double click
    Do not allow Snipping Tool to run.

3. Select Enabled and then click OK.

If you enable this policy setting, the Snipping Tool will not run.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alby

Alberto Giura (AlbyTech), Oct 26, 2019
  3. snipping tool

Your post is unclear. Please post a step-by-step description of what you are doing, e.g. like so:

• Open the snipping tool
    • Click "New"
    • etc.

Frederik Long, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Windows 10 Snipping Tool on Windows 7

All it is is one extra step beyond what is native to windows 10. Yes, technically it would be easier to have the functionality of print built in to the Windows 7 version, but you just have to save it ,and right click on it ,and print.

As far as getting the windows 10 version into windows7. I know there was a way to get the old winpaint, so maybe there's a way to get the snipping tool into 10, I don't know.

im curious if i could compress, and upload the application to this post? 7zip doesnt seem to be allowed

jboydgolfer, Oct 26, 2019
  6. hameed22 Win User
    Enable Snipping Tool for some of the AD Users in Group Policy

Need to Enable Snipping Tool for some of the AD Users in Group Policy, we have blocked for most of the AD users but now operation has suggested to enable snipping tool for selected AD users.

hameed22, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Snipping Tool in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Snipping

2. Snipping Tool – How to disable auto minimizing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snipping Tool – How to disable auto minimizing: I am having a problem with the behaviour of the Snipping Tool in Windows 11. When I use this tool in Windows 10, the Snipping Tool window would open on the desktop with the image I have just captured. In Windows 11, this tool now automatically minimizes to the taskbar instead...
  3. Snipping Tool – How to disable auto minimizing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Snipping Tool – How to disable auto minimizing: I am having a problem with the behaviour of the Snipping Tool in Windows 11. When I use this tool in Windows 10, the Snipping Tool window would open on the desktop with the image I have just captured. In Windows 11, this tool now automatically minimizes to the taskbar instead...
  4. how to disable snipping tool hoykeys on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to disable snipping tool hoykeys on windows 11: The Windows 11 Snipping Tool has reserved some keyboard shortcuts. I wish to use them with another program.Is there a way to release these? Or else disable the Snipping Tool completely?The tool I wish to use instead is Greenshot, which I've been using for years in Windows 10....
  5. how to disable snipping tool hoykeys on windows 11

how to disable snipping tool hoykeys on windows 11: The Windows 11 Snipping Tool has reserved some keyboard shortcuts. I wish to use them with another program.Is there a way to release these? Or else disable the Snipping Tool completely?The tool I wish to use instead is Greenshot, which I've been using for years in Windows 10....
  6. Windows 11 Disable Snipping Tool and switch to Lightshot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Disable Snipping Tool and switch to Lightshot: Hi all,I don't like the new snipping tool much, because I'd better like to directly save my screenshots into a folder and not to copy on the clipboard. I tried using the Lightshot program and also Greenshot, but none of them worked with the PrtScn button on my laptop. I...
  7. Windows 11 Disable Snipping Tool and switch to Lightshot

Windows 11 Disable Snipping Tool and switch to Lightshot: Hi all,I don't like the new snipping tool much, because I'd better like to directly save my screenshots into a folder and not to copy on the clipboard. I tried using the Lightshot program and also Greenshot, but none of them worked with the PrtScn button on my laptop. I...
  8. snipping tool opening after disable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    snipping tool opening after disable: Hi there i disabled snipping tool from settings,group policy editior,registry it still opens how do i disable it Print screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snipping-tool-opening-after-disable/aec7f5d3-3637-40ba-b132-154fbdcf3ee3
  9. snipping tool opening after disable

snipping tool opening after disable: Hi there i disabled snipping tool from settings,group policy editior,registry it still opens how do i disable it Print screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snipping-tool-opening-after-disable/aec7f5d3-3637-40ba-b132-154fbdcf3ee3
  10. SNIP SNIP TOOL

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SNIP SNIP TOOL: Does anyone know where my screen snips are saved? I can't find it in files. I really don't know where they go Like I can't screenshot using Windows+prt sc while my laptop is in 360 degrees. It is bothersome....