Windows 10: Enable Search Box on Lock Screen in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable Search Box on Lock Screen in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable Search Box on Lock Screen in Windows 10 How to Enable Search Box on Lock Screen in Windows 10 The lock your PC[/b] (or when it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by chrismaloney1, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Enable Search Box on Lock Screen in Windows 10

How to: Enable Search Box on Lock Screen in Windows 10

How to Enable Search Box on Lock Screen in Windows 10

The lock your PC[/b] (or when it locks automatically after you haven't been using it for a while). The lock screen will also show at startup, and when you are signed out and idle for one minute. You will need to dismiss the lock screen to be able to see the sign in screen and sign in to Windows. Users can dismiss the lock screen using touch, the keyboard, or by dragging it up with the mouse.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18932, a new hidden experimental feature is available to enable adding a search box on the lock screen allowing users to search the web with Bing directly on the lock screen.

If enabled, the search box will only be on the lock screen when users lock the computer (Win+L). The search box will not be available on the lock screen at startup.

When users type in the search box, it will show them Bing web search results. If a user clicks/taps on a link in the search results, it will only open in Microsoft Edge after they sign in.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable a search box on the lock screen to search the web with Bing for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning While you must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the search box on the lock screen, all users will be able to use the search box if enabled.

Enable Search Box on Lock Screen in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning It is recommended to create a restore point before enabling this feature using Mach2 in case you have adverse effects.

If you do adverse effects afterwards, you could simply just do a quick system restore using the restore point to undo and fix it.

EXAMPLE: Search Box on Lock Screen

Here's How:

1. Close Task Manager if open.

2. Click/tap on the Download button below to go download the 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) version of Mach2 by Rafael Rivera for your system from its official GitHub page. (see screenshot below)
    Download

3. Save the mach2_0.3.0.0_x86.zip or mach2_0.3.0.0_x64.zip file to your desktop.

4. Unblock the downloaded ZIP file.

5. Right click or press and hold on the mach2_0.3.0.0_x86.zip or mach2_0.3.0.0_x64.zip file, click/tap on Extract all, and click/tap on Extract. (see screenshots below)

6. In the extracted mach2_0.3.0.0_x86 or mach2_0.3.0.0_x64 folder, click/tap on the Home tab, select the mach2.exe file, and click/tap on Copy path in the Ribbon. (see screenshot below)

7. Do step 8 (enable) or step 9 (disable) below for what you want to do.

8. To Enable Search Box on Lock Screen
    A) Open an elevated command prompt.

B) Press Ctrl+V to paste the full path of the mach2.exe file from step 6 into the elevated command prompt. (see screenshot below)

C) Add a space after the full path, type enable 17917466, and press Enter.

For example: "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\mach2_0.3.0.0_x64\mach2.exe" enable 17917466

D) Close the elevated command prompt, and go to step 10 below.

9. To Disable Search Box on Lock Screen
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Open an elevated command prompt.

B) Press Ctrl+V to paste the full path of the mach2.exe file from step 6 into the elevated command prompt. (see screenshot below)

C) Add a space after the full path, type disable 17917466, and press Enter.

For example: "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\mach2_0.3.0.0_x64\mach2.exe" disable 17917466

D) Close the elevated command prompt, and go to step 10 below.

10. Restart the computer to apply.

11. If you like, you can now delete the mach2_0.3.0.0_x86.zip or mach2_0.3.0.0_x64.zip file and mach2_0.3.0.0_x86 or mach2_0.3.0.0_x64 folder on your desktop.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

chrismaloney1, Jul 5, 2018
  2. Edwin Win User

Enable Search Box on Lock Screen in Windows 10  

Time moves up to make room for the search...

Edwin, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Ztruker Win User

Turns out the search also is available from the login screen if you wait 30 seconds or so.

Ztruker, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Edwin Win User

Big ugly grey box shows up randomly!

mach2 disable 17917466 Disabled!

Edwin, Oct 27, 2019
  5. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Oct 27, 2019
  6. KLBogue Win User
    How to access or enable Search box in Windows 10 computer?

I followed all of the steps you have suggested and the "My Stuff" and "Web" buttons will not return. I'm resigned to their being gone. You have titled this question "How to access or enable Search box in Windows 10 computer?"

That's really not my question. The search box is there, it just doesn't say "My Stuff" anymore. I can't believe it's that hard to understand the problem and solve it.

KLBogue, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable Search Box on Lock Screen in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Search Box

2. Windows 10 search box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 search box: Hi,I need help my lower left search bar is unusable, I tried clicking it and it will goes off after split second. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-box/fc553394-f1e0-4d8c-b2be-ed3347755fd9
  3. How to enable or disable Cloud Content Search in Taskbar search box in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Cloud Content Search in Taskbar search box in Windows 10: Windows Search can show search results from your cloud storage accounts. However, if you want to enable or disable Cloud Content Search in the Taskbar search box, here is how you can do that. It is possible to turn it on or off using Windows Settings, Registry Editor, and...
  4. How To Enable the Windows 10 Cortana Search Box

in Cortana
    How To Enable the Windows 10 Cortana Search Box: Hello. My problem is that. I changed my computer to English. I set the region to the United States. I can open the Cortana application by pressing the Cortana icon, but cortana and search settings do not appear in the settings screen. My goal is to use Cortana in the search...
  5. Search box locked throughout Windows

in Cortana
    Search box locked throughout Windows: This concerns the following system: Dell Precision T1700 Xeon E3-1220 3.10 GHz 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363.535 installed on 12/22/2019 The problem is that the search box is not accepting typed input in various places in the Windows 10 Pro OS: e.g....
  6. How to enable the Search Box on Windows 10 Lock screen

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable the Search Box on Windows 10 Lock screen: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The Search Bar on the Taskbar is one of the most useful components of Windows 10. One can use it to search for files and folders on the computer or the connected OneDrive cloud account. Along with that, searches on [...] This post How to enable the Search...
  7. search box locked up

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    search box locked up: completed windows update and now search box is locked up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-locked-up/668a76a7-1c8e-41d9-97c5-568a863446d6
  8. Microsoft experiment adds search box to Windows 10 lock screen

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft experiment adds search box to Windows 10 lock screen: In latest preview builds of Windows 10 20H1 update, Microsoft is experimenting with a new feature that brings search box to the lock screen. Windows 10 Build 18932 comes with a secret search box for the lock screen and the feature is currently hidden but can be enabled via...
  9. Enabling Lock Screen.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling Lock Screen.: I have for many months tried to enable the Lock Screen on two of my PCs. All Windows 10 Home...up to date. Read and tried this tutorial:- Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 - Page 26 - Customization Tutorials When pressing W key and L the lock screen...
  10. Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 [img] Information The lock screen is the screen you see when you lock your PC (or when it locks automatically after you haven't been using it for a while). The lock screen will also show at startup, and when you are...