Windows 10: Enable or Disable Storage Sense Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Storage Sense Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Storage Sense Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by TylerV76, Jul 24, 2015.

1. TylerV76 Win User

Enable or Disable Storage Sense Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Storage Sense Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10

Starting with Storage Sense option in Storage Settings to automatically get rid of the files you dont need to save you an extra step when low on disk space. Currently this is only supported for unused temporary files, files in your recycle bin over 30 days, and files in your Downloads folder that haven't changed for over 30 days.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17720, Storage Sense can now run when your device is low on storage space by default. Once activated, Storage Sense will intelligently run whenever your device runs low on storage space and clear temporary files that your device and applications no longer need.Storage Sense looks for and will remove the following types of files:
    • Temporary setup files
    • Old indexed content
    • System cache files
    • Internet cache files
    • Device Driver packages
    • System downloaded program files
    • Dated system log files
    • System error memory dump files
    • System error minidump files
    • Temporary system files
    • Dated Windows update temporary files
    • …and more.
    When Storage Sense is enabled, it can delete temporary files that user's apps aren't using.

Starting with at least Windows 10 enabled) to delete temporary files for all users on the computer.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable allowing Storage Sense to delete temporary files for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files for Current User in Settings
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Storage Sense delete temporary files disabled and always enabled for all users

Enable or Disable Storage Sense Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files for Current User in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Storage on the left side, turn on Storage sense on the right side, and click/tap on the Configure Storage Sense or run it now link. (see screenshot below)

3. Under Temporary Files, check (enable - default) or uncheck (disable) Delete temporary files that my apps aren't using for what you want. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files for Current User using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\StorageSense\Parameters\StoragePolicy

04 DWORD

0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you want to do.

2. Enable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files for Current User
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Storage_Sense_to_delete_temporary_files_for_current_user.reg

Download

3. Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files for Current User
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Storage_Sense_to_delete_temporary_files_for_current_user.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note This option is only available starting with at least Windows 10 build 18282.

You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option

If enabled or disabled, this option will override Option One and Option Two for all users on the computer.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Four.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Storage Sense

3. In the right pane of Storage Sense in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow Storage Sense Temporary Files cleanup policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable), step 6 (disable), or step 7 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Always Enable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Default Storage Sense for User Choice to Delete Temporary Files
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

*note This will allow users to be able to turn on or off Storage Sense delete temporary files for their accounts.

8. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files using a REG file

*note This option is only available starting with at least Windows 10 build 18282.

You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option

If enabled or disabled, this option will override Option One and Option Two for all users on the computer.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\StorageSense

AllowStorageSenseTemporaryFilesCleanup DWORD

(delete) = Default
    0 = Disable
    1 = Always enable

1. Do step 2 (enable), step 3 (disable), or step 4 (default) below for what you want to do.

2. To Always Enable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Always_enable_Storage_Sense_to_delete_temporary_files_for_all_users.reg

Download

3. To Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_Storage_Sense_to_delete_temporary_files_for_all_users.reg

Download

4. Default Storage Sense for User Choice to Delete Temporary Files
    *note This will allow users to be able to turn on or off Storage Sense Delete Temporary Files for their accounts.

Default_user_choice_Storage_Sense_to_delete_temporary_files.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

TylerV76, Jul 24, 2015

2. What did Windows Storage Sense delete?

Hi, Garth

You can not find what was deleted. The only precautious way is having this disabled.

Windows 10 should have Storage sense disabled by default, but you can check and turn off the feature as necessary using these steps:

1.Open Settings.

2.Click on System.

3.Click on Storage.

4.Turn off the Storage sense toggle switch.

Once you've completed the steps, the feature will stop running automatically on your device.

In the event that your device starts running out of space to perform an upgrade or store files, you can re-enable the feature and use these tips to free up space.

Good luck !

HiltonOishi, Oct 27, 2019
  3. garym123 Win User
    not deleted temporary files

When you go to storage sense, temporary files and select delete, it says it will delete
    'temporary files that are not in use'.

It does not say it will delete all temporary files.

garym123, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Storage Sense Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10

Can't delete temporary files in Windows 10

Windows 10 says my temporary files have 5.16 GB of temporary files. Using this recommended method

Step 1

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type temp and click OK
    • Press Ctrl + A and click Delete
    Step 2

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type %temp% and click OK
    Step 3

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type prefetch and click OK
    the files don't get deleted and looking at the size of the files I find that I have less than 30 Mbytes of temporary files

My computer (a tablet with keyboard) has only 32 GB of storage

What do I need to do to solve this problem?

Ken and MagsMay, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Temporary file

Hello Grishma,

To further assist you, please provide us the information below:

• Are you receiving any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting step have you tried so far?

Regarding on how to delete temporary files, go to Settings > System > Storage > This Device > Temporary Files > Delete temporary files (Windows phone 8: In
    Storage Sense
    Enable or Disable Storage Sense Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10 12507_en-us_1.png
    , go to
    Temporary files, and then tap Delete). Then, perform a soft reset to refresh your device. Press and hold
    Volume Down + Power button until phone vibrates and restarts.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Timoteo IV Ofr, Oct 27, 2019
  6. How To Delete Temporary Internet Files And Temporary Files In Windows 10

Hi,

As you are saying that you are not able to delete the temporary internet files and temporary Files in Windows 10.

Provide us with the below details for better clarity on the issue.

1.Have you installed any third party applications to clean up temporary Files?

2.In the Disk Cleanup had you checked the Temporary Internet files and Temporary files before doing disk cleanup?

I suggest you to follow the below steps and try deleting the temporary internet files.

• Open Internet Explorer by typing Internet Explorer in Search Bar. Click the
      Tools
      button, and then click Internet Options.
    • Click the General tab, and then, under Browsing history, click
      Delete.
    • In the Delete Browsing History dialog box, select the check boxes for the information you want to delete, click
      Delete, and then click OK.
    I also suggest you refer the Microsoft article on View and delete browser history in Microsoft Edge
    and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/view-delete-browsing-history-microsoft-edge

Let us know if the issue with the deletion of temporary files is resolved we will be glad to assist you further.

Anup Karkal, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Storage Sense Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Storage Sense Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Storage

2. Does Storage Sense delete temporary files across all profiles?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Storage Sense delete temporary files across all profiles?: Greetings, community -We have multiple logins on some of our work machines, and it appears that users' OneDrive accounts are starting to fill the drives. I see that Storage Sense can be set up to control this through dehydration, but I was wanting to know if Storage Sense...
  3. Does Storage Sense delete temporary files across all profiles?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Storage Sense delete temporary files across all profiles?: Greetings, community -We have multiple logins on some of our work machines, and it appears that users' OneDrive accounts are starting to fill the drives. I see that Storage Sense can be set up to control this through dehydration, but I was wanting to know if Storage Sense...
  4. Does Storage Sense delete temporary files across all profiles?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. "STORAGE SENSE" OPTION DELETING FILES

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "STORAGE SENSE" OPTION DELETING FILES: Windows deleted the entire contents of two different folders within the past month and those are only the ones of which I am aware! I just discovered that Windows 10 has a "Storage Sense" option where it will automatically delete files it thinks you do not need if the system...
  6. Storage sense deleting files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Storage sense deleting files: I know I'm asking this question again but it is because I want more clarity. So, the problem is my c drive was almost full like 114.5/118 GB occupied and my recycle bin was empty. I deleted a zip file that I downloaded from google drive from downloads folder, it was of size...
  7. Storage sense deleting files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Storage sense deleting files: My c drive was almost full like only 4.5 GB was free and my recycle bin was empty then I deleted a downloaded zip file from downloads folder and later after some time saw that my recycle bin was empty. My storage sense was on would run when on low disk space and set to delete...
  8. Storage Sense configuration for deleting temporary files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Storage Sense configuration for deleting temporary files: Storage Sense is doing its work silently and has an option to "Delete temporary files that my apps aren't using". What does that mean in more detail? Can it silently remove files from "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp"? If so, based on what conditions? Not opened for x...
  9. Enable Storage Sense

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Enable Storage Sense: Hello, How do I enable Storage Sense in Windows 10 and what kind of files does it remove? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-storage-sense/7fd6c6f7-5e6d-469c-848e-418f831f51f3"
  10. Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10 Starting with Storage Sense option in Storage Settings to automatically get rid of the files you dont need to save you an extra step...