Windows 10: Change Control Panel Icon in File Explorer in Windows

Discus and support Change Control Panel Icon in File Explorer in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Control Panel Icon in File Explorer in Windows How to Change Control Panel Icon in File Explorer in Windows You can use Control... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Rose W, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Rose W Win User

Change Control Panel Icon in File Explorer in Windows

How to: Change Control Panel Icon in File Explorer in Windows

How to Change Control Panel Icon in File Explorer in Windows

You can use Control Panel to change settings for Windows. These settings control nearly everything about how Windows looks and works, and you can use them to set up Windows so that it's just right for you.

This tutorial will show you how to change the default icon for Control Panel in File Explorer to any icon for your account or all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Default Control Panel icon in File Explorer

Change Control Panel Icon in File Explorer in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Control Panel Icon for Current User

*note This option will override Option Two.

*note This option will only be applied to the current user, and no other user account on the PC.
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\DefaultIcon

*note If you do not have a {26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683} key, right click on the CLSID key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type {26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683} for the name, and press Enter.

*note If you do not have a DefaultIcon key, right click on the {26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683} key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type DefaultIcon for the name, and press Enter.

3. In the right pane of the DefaultIcon key, double click/tap on the (Default) string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Type the full path of the .ico file wrapped in quotes you want to use for the icon, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default icon is: %SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-27

5. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

6. If File Explorer (Win+E) is currently open, close and reopen it to apply.

*note If the icon doesn't change, then sign in to apply instead.

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Control Panel Icon for All Users

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If any user uses Option One, it will override this option for their account.
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. If you used Option One, delete the DefaultIcon key located below. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\DefaultIcon

3. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\DefaultIcon

4. Change the owner of the DefaultIcon key to the Administrators group.

5. Change the permissions of the DefaultIcon key to "Allow" Administrators "Full control" of it.

6. In the right pane of the DefaultIcon key, double click/tap on the (Default) string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

7. Type the full path of the .ico file wrapped in quotes you want to use for the icon, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The .ico file will need to be saved at a location (ex: "C:\Windows" or "C:\Users\Public") that all users have access to. If it's not, the icon may show as a default folder for some users instead.

*note The default icon is: %SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-27

8. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

9. If File Explorer (Win+E) is currently open, close and reopen it to apply.

*note If the icon doesn't change, then sign in to apply instead.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Rose W, Jun 16, 2017
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Change Control Panel Icon in File Explorer in Windows

Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Oct 27, 2019
  5. windows 10 control panel

Step 2 does not work at all. Anything from File Explorer and above does not launch at all.

DeviantWolf, Oct 27, 2019
  6. XTL
    xTL Win User
    Change Control Panel Icon

I can confirm that the tutorial you made in sevenforums still works in windows 10 Change Control Panel Icon in File Explorer in Windows :)
    But i had to manually create {26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\DefaultIcon
    in
    \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\

But results are 100% working Change Control Panel Icon in File Explorer in Windows :)
    Thank you for this Blink!

Thema:

Change Control Panel Icon in File Explorer in Windows

1. Change Control Panel Icon in File Explorer in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Control Panel

2. KB5017846 Killed file explorer and control panel.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5017846 Killed file explorer and control panel.: I am running Windows 11 Enterprise 22h2. When KB5017846 installed we lost file explorer and control panel on both our desktop systems. Removing the update restored their operation.Anyone else seen this? I can remember back in the day we used to be able to ban certain updates...
  3. KB5017846 Killed file explorer and control panel.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5017846 Killed file explorer and control panel.: I am running Windows 11 Enterprise 22h2. When KB5017846 installed we lost file explorer and control panel on both our desktop systems. Removing the update restored their operation.Anyone else seen this? I can remember back in the day we used to be able to ban certain updates...
  4. Blanc icon in the control panel

in Windows 10 Support
    Blanc icon in the control panel: I have in my control panel a blanc icon (no name) i don't no what is? can somebody help me i have already make IconCache.db delete and rebuild but no changing. Windows10 20H2 [img] 169935
  5. Control Panel Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Control Panel Icons: Hello, Could someone explain me I obtain these new icons in Control Panel. I've installed the French 2004 version updated June 2020 Build 19041.329 on two different machines. Fresh install after formatting the drive. One have these new icons, the other not. Many thanks for...
  6. Change control panel categories icons

Change control panel categories icons: In this tutorial explains how to change control panel icons, but some of them are missing, (all in categories list) Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10 [img] How to change them? 146282
  7. Change Control Panel Icon

Change Control Panel Icon: Does anyone know how I can change the Control Panel icon? I have the Control Panel as a shortcut on my desktop. Can it be done with a reg key edit? Thanks 43982
  8. Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10 How to Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10 In addition to Control Panel to change settings for Windows 10. These settings control nearly everything about how Windows looks and works, and you can use...
  9. No Nvdia Icon in Control Panel

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    No Nvdia Icon in Control Panel: Hmmn? I noticed Win 10 installed its own digitally signed driver says its the latest 5.362 but date is 22/07/2015 Downloading the latest drivers from Nvidia for my GTX970 shockingly my system reports that I can't install them. I don't know how I'm going to get the...
  10. cant open file explorer, control panel...

in Windows 10 Support
    cant open file explorer, control panel...: Weird issue with Acer CB280HK 4k Monitor So, I was lucky enough to get a new monitor and new pc the other day; a dell xps 8700, and for purposes of this discussion, the video card set up is a intel hd graphics 4600 board, and a Nvidia GTX745, with 4 gigs of ram. The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. adjust control panel in explorer

2. xbox bar popped up on screen