Windows 10: XP and Windows 10 on separate drives

Discus and support XP and Windows 10 on separate drives in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As a precaution, to make sure Windows 10 was fully compatible with my desktop PC and to have easy access to all my files, I added a clean SSD and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TopGeek, Jan 4, 2016.

1. TopGeek Win User

XP and Windows 10 on separate drives

As a precaution, to make sure Windows 10 was fully compatible with my desktop PC and to have easy access to all my files, I added a clean SSD and installed Win 10 on that. Somewhere during installation, I was probably asked if I wanted to install a dual-boot system (I don't remember) but that is what I ended up with.
    So, when I start up, I get a screen asking if I want Windows 10 or 'An earlier version of Windows'. If I ignore the question, Win 10 starts in 30 seconds.
    Explore shows both drives and all files.
    The XP system is installed on a standard HDD and, as I have all my files on an externall HDD (but not a system image), I am now considering complete removal of the XP system, leaving the Windows 10 system on the SSD. However, I am not sure how to do it. I presume that simply unplugging the old HDD will cause problems but I'm not sure. I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to proceed?

:)

TopGeek, Jan 4, 2016

2. Performing Dual boot on the computer (Windows 10 and windows xp).

Original title: Installing two OS (Windows 10 and windows xp)

I had one my HP All in one machine. And got license copy windows 8.1(Now upgraded to windows 10). I want to have windows XP also..and want to install the Windows XP on separate drive. So can I install it. I want to get confirm that weather there will be
    no issues with windows 10 ..when I install windows XP too(In separate drive) ???

vaibhavpandit, Jan 4, 2016
  3. Win 10 Clean Install

How to I do a clean Win 10 install from a USB thumb drive on a separate computer running Win XP?

PhilipBartleson, Jan 4, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

First send us a screenshot of the disk management screen that shows what all the partitions are on your SSD and HDD. It may just be a matter of installing and running EASYBCD in Windows 10 and moving boot files to the correct partition on the SSD and setting the SSD as the primary boot device in bios.

Changing the Boot Partition

NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2016
  5. TopGeek Win User
    XP and Windows 10 on separate drives [​IMG]

TopGeek, Jan 5, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep. Install EasyBCD in your Windows 10 and use the BCD/Backup Repair button then Change Boot Drive, Perform Action, and pick your C: drive to move the boot files to.

EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

Scroll half way down, click the register button for the free version. You don't have to actually register on the screen after that, just click download.

You can also use the Edit Boot menu button to remove the entry for Windows XP from the boot menu. Oh and then change the primary boot device in bios to the drive containing Windows 10.

You were very wise to think about the boot files - most people don't.

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2016
  7. TopGeek Win User
    I don't know why but the first image did not show the D: drive (where the XP system is installed). It probably doesn't make any difference but here is the rerun:

TopGeek, Jan 5, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Still good, but since the new boot drive is Disk 1 rather than Disk 0 it is even more critical to set it as the priority boot device in bios.

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2016
  9. TopGeek Win User
    OK. Many thanks for your advice. I have already downloaded EasyBCD but meanwhile had some problems requiring a System Restore and that somehow managed to delete all my bookmarks and passwords. The Firefox library is empty so I have a lot of work to do first.

TopGeek, Jan 5, 2016
  10. TopGeek Win User
    Well, I'm still a bit confused. This is what I get:

Do I need to make any changes?

TopGeek, Jan 7, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    It looks like you still need to move the boot files to the Windows 10 drive:
    use the BCD/Backup Repair button then Change Boot Drive, Perform Action, and pick your C: drive to move the boot files to.

NavyLCDR, Jan 7, 2016
  12. TopGeek Win User
    This is the result:

The boot routine remains as before. Does this mean I can now disconnect drive D:/ without risk?

TopGeek, Jan 7, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes, boot device changed to C: and Windows 10 is C: so that is good to go now and you can disconnect/remove D: drive. You can click the edit boot menu button and highlight the last entry for Earlier Version of Windows and delete it as well.

NavyLCDR, Jan 7, 2016
  14. TopGeek Win User
    OK. That's great. So simple!

TopGeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. XP and Windows 10 on separate drives - Similar Threads - separate drives

2. How to separate "Desktop" and other folders if I use One Drive on 2 different laptops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to separate "Desktop" and other folders if I use One Drive on 2 different laptops: I have two different Windows laptops that are used for different purposes, so there are mostly different files and shortcuts on each. I had been using One Drive on one of them for quite a while and decided to turn it on for the second laptop. This was apparently a big mistake...
  3. How to separate "Desktop" and other folders if I use One Drive on 2 different laptops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to separate "Desktop" and other folders if I use One Drive on 2 different laptops: I have two different Windows laptops that are used for different purposes, so there are mostly different files and shortcuts on each. I had been using One Drive on one of them for quite a while and decided to turn it on for the second laptop. This was apparently a big mistake...
  4. i would like to have a separate drive on my surface laptop 5 to store all my photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i would like to have a separate drive on my surface laptop 5 to store all my photos: i would like to have a separate drive on my surface 5 laptop to store my photos https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-have-a-separate-drive-on-my/74e5a697-16eb-4ce9-88be-580ce62b310a
  5. i would like to have a separate drive on my surface laptop 5 to store all my photos

i would like to have a separate drive on my surface laptop 5 to store all my photos: i would like to have a separate drive on my surface 5 laptop to store my photos https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-have-a-separate-drive-on-my/74e5a697-16eb-4ce9-88be-580ce62b310a
  6. 2 separate hard drives, one full while other has room. I moved all I could and still...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 separate hard drives, one full while other has room. I moved all I could and still...: I have a PC with 2 HD. C drive is 250gb and is near full. D drive is 1000gb and only 1/3 full. I have moved all non programing data manually from c to d but I still need more space. again, all documents, music, data, etc. has been moved already. I am afraid to move any...
  7. 2 separate hard drives, one full while other has room. I moved all I could and still...

2 separate hard drives, one full while other has room. I moved all I could and still...: I have a PC with 2 HD. C drive is 250gb and is near full. D drive is 1000gb and only 1/3 full. I have moved all non programing data manually from c to d but I still need more space. again, all documents, music, data, etc. has been moved already. I am afraid to move any...
  8. 2 separate hard drives, one full while other has room. I moved all I could and still...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. How can I restore the bootability of a drive, using the windows install of a separate drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I restore the bootability of a drive, using the windows install of a separate drive?: in short: How can I restore the bootability of a drive, using the windows install of a separate drive?In more detail:I have an m.2 drive dedicated for Windows, browser and various installed programs. This drive one day stopped booting.I spent considerable amount of time...
  10. How can I restore the bootability of a drive, using the windows install of a separate drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I restore the bootability of a drive, using the windows install of a separate drive?: in short: How can I restore the bootability of a drive, using the windows install of a separate drive?In more detail:I have an m.2 drive dedicated for Windows, browser and various installed programs. This drive one day stopped booting.I spent considerable amount of time...