Windows 10: XPS 8700,"We couldn't install Windows 10. We've set your PC back to th

Discus and support XPS 8700,"We couldn't install Windows 10. We've set your PC back to th in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Full message on screen, " "We couldn't install Windows 10. We've set your PC back to the way it was just before you started installing Windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IrvS, Jul 29, 2015.

1. IrvS Win User

XPS 8700,"We couldn't install Windows 10. We've set your PC back to th

Full message on screen, "
    "We couldn't install Windows 10. We've set your PC back to the way it was just before you started installing Windows 10. 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

I have tried all the remedies suggested from the initial problem that was Code 80240020, delete files, try again... never worked.

Thought the problem might have been my original set-up. An SSD as DISK1 that contains W8.1, and DISK0 had other drives including the original Dell W8.1 on it (hidden when the OS was running):

XPS 8700,"We couldn't install Windows 10. We've set your PC back to th [​IMG]

So I detached the other 2 drives:

DID NOT help?

Windows Update shows a variety of error for the failure as well.

I even tried the UPDATE tool...

No matter what I try I always fail and return to the W8.1 desktop?

Anyone have a FIX for this?

:)

2. eMpTy57 Win User

Upgrade windows 7 Pro 32 bit to Windows 10 with no network acess

No. as per my post the upgrade fails with this message:

We couldn't install Windows 10

We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10.0

xC1900101 - 0x30018 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation

eMpTy57, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Jo2240 Win User
    Windows 10 update

Did not resolve the problem.

We couldn't install Windows 10

We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10.

Ox1900101 - Ox20004

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_RECOVERY_ENVIRONMENT operation

SO DISCOURAGING!!!

Jo2240, Jul 29, 2015
  4. XPS 8700,"We couldn't install Windows 10. We've set your PC back to th

Windows Sniper, Jul 29, 2015
  5. IrvS Win User
    Well I read the link and although it is for a slightly different error (40017, not 20017) I did Method 2, the clean boot.

Failed as well...

I'm going to try the UPLOAD tool, but I don't expect any change... sigh...

6. Ztruker Win User
    Hi Irv, don't know why I didn't see this thread when you first posted it. Lots of people seem to be having this problem and most are using a SSD to boot from. Several were able to do a clean install but that meant they couldn't activate.

Your note said you cloned a HDD to the SSD which I believe many of the others having this problem also did.

If you have a good image backup of the SSD you could try clean installing Windows 8.1 then upgrade to 10 and that will probably work. Several people have done that successfully. Clean Install - Windows 8

It will be interesting to see what MS has to say if they ever get back to you.

Ztruker, Aug 2, 2015
  7. IrvS Win User
    I guess you missed it 'Z'...

Yes, I've got back-ups of both C:'s. Using Symantec System Restore 2013 (I hope this works on W10, it is expensive to get new versions for 3 systems). Others in the Dell forum with the problem have been able to Update the original C: but not the new one on the SSD, so it probably isn't h/w or s/w per se but how W10 sees the SSD I'd think.

I have NO desire to start over. That does work to the Original drive only.

I was thinking about doing a restore to the old C: with Symantec of the SSD C:, and give it a try. Even if it did work though, I'd then have to clone that over to the SSD, but I'd probably have problems with future updates then?

I do hope MS calls and can fix this so I'm hanging in there and waiting.

Other PC (L's) is also a Dell, but an XPS 8500, 2 years old. Dell does NOT say it was tested. It's failing under Windows Update as well, and it has a similar SSD setup. So I'm sure it is HOW the SSD was cloned over and made bootable. Only difference is L's PC I did it manually and had to do some under the cover type of disk editing as the clone (using Norton Ghost at the time) produced 2 identical disk ID's. Had to change one and then it booted fine. On my PC I used Paragon's Migrate SSD 4.0 and it worked like a charm.

If you search the web for my error some had it with the Preview as well, so I can't believe MS hasn't seen this before, even happened during the W8 to W8.1 updates. I was running the Preview, but in a VM and had no problems, but that does visualize the h/w so that is why it might have worked?

IrvS, Aug 2, 2015
  8. IrvS Win User

I suspect "Sorry, not our problem"!

In the Dell forum it turns out a few have the identical problem, all on SSD's as the boot drive.

L's XPS 8500 as it turned out DID install W10 to the SSD without a problem! Different Security Suite (Norton vs. McAfee on mine), Pro with Media Center and I have Home, different video cards, ATI vs. Nvidia, but basically the same systems. Hers installed without a hitch.

Fast forward to the Dell forum... and those of us with the problem all have it on SSD's. One tried installing W10 to the original hard drive and it worked. We all thought maybe the way was to cutomize W10 to what we want and then clone it over the SSD. Makes sense but that is a heck of a lot of work and lost things as well. As it turns out one person decided a better way. First installed W10 to the hard drive over W8.1 to see if it worked. Then cloned the SSD to the hard drive. Guess what, same fails. Even the W8.1 install disks fail like W10. Reported back in the forum and that is when we ALL discovered we used Paragon's Migrate OS to SSD 4.0 to clone the SSD. It did work well and it was easy, BUT something is did/changed has stopped Windows install in its tracks!!! I have no clue what that could be?

Posted to Paragon's forum and also to their support message area. Like I said, I can see MS telling me it is their problem.

So right now I'm in limbo. Hard drive is way out of date. Last used in April 2014. Many programs on it need to be updated and I'm not sure I want to do that now. Just MAYBE someone can fix this mess.

IrvS, Aug 3, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    2 suggestions:

1. Disable your AV, uninstall Classic Shell, Start8, any Stardock software.
    2. Redo the clone to the SSD using Macrium Reflect Free. Might even create a backup image then restore it to the SSD instead of clone.

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  10. IrvS Win User
    A/V was active on the hard disk when I installed there, so it isn't a problem. No Stardock s/w.

I need the state the SSD is in. Could care less about the hard drive C:. All I did was populate it with things like Firefox, Thunderbird, Quicken 2014, and a few other things I'd want on the C: drive. Got the data for them off the old computer and then cloned it to SSD. I left the hard drive C: in case Dell wanted me to restore to the shipped state if I had a h/w problem. They usually ask for that at first.

What I need is the SSD brought up to W10. What ever happened migrating to the SSD will still be there possibly. I could have the problem in the future as well. The fix I need is to be able to INSTALL to the SSD...

The hard disk W10 is a pain right now. A lot of things need to be updated and background tasks seem to be running doing the same, updating almost everything that calls home to see if there is a newer version.

I'll at least wait for MS or Paragon to give me an answer and go from there. I might be forced to update the hard drive to where I want it to be and then clone it over to the SSD. It will not be a fast or fun job....

11. Ztruker Win User
    Did you mean inactive? If not disable and try again.

So you can't re-do the clone from the HDD to the SSD?

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  12. IrvS Win User
    No, Active. W10 installed fine on the hard disk's C: partition with McAfee in full operation.

Problem is getting the present SSD C: on the hard disks C: partition and THEN upgrading to W10. One person tried and W10 couldn't be installed and failed. It is possible I can use the Image vs. cloning, but right now I'll see if Paragon or MS has an answer.

13. Ztruker Win User

Quite a few reports here of problems installing with AV software running. Why not disable it to see if it makes a difference?

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  14. IrvS Win User
    Rich, a few reasons not to... McAfee at least can only be disabled but comes back on during the next boot. If you want to stop it totally during the install and re-boot you must UNINSTALL it. L's PC and my hard drive install worked fine and we have different A/V suites and left them on and running.

I did get an answer from Paragon:

==================
    04/08/2015 14:41 (Maksimchuk Roman) Clarify Request Dear Irv,

Thank you for your feedback!

We were already reported about this issue and now try to find what causes the problem. This is Windows 10 compatibility issue which most likely can’t be worked around. We’ll inform you as soon as we get any updated info.

==============

Also when I posted in the Paragon forum another person responded that he had the same problem as I did and his PC is NOT a Dell.

I'll wait for Paragon and/or MS to figure this out.

15. kipper Win User
    On my Dell 8700 latest version of the system; I did a clean install of Win 7 Pro on a new SSD last month.........kept the system pretty clean with only the programs I use daily and kept the OS updated.....

Downloaded Win 10 Pro and did the upgrade and it went perfectly......Loaded up Stardock's Start 10 for my start menu and then off to Dell Support site to upgrade drivers to Dell's new drivers for Win 10.......

This was the easiest upgrade I have experienced and so far I am pleased with this new OS......

Those who are having problems on their 8700 systems might be due to the way Dell formats their Hard Drives with 6 partitions......I have found that this can cause several problems using cloning software to migrate to an SSD.........

You can do a clean install of the OS that came on the 8700 and then try the upgrade to Win 10 and most likely that will solve the problems

kipper, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

1. XPS 8700,"We couldn't install Windows 10. We've set your PC back to th - Similar Threads - XPS 8700 couldn't

2. We couldn't install windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    We couldn't install windows 10: Windows 10 install problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/we-couldnt-install-windows-10/97b3b6f9-52ac-4fd4-b638-4907b0be7ef0
  3. We couldn't install windows 10

We couldn't install windows 10: I have faced this error while i am upgrading my pc from windows 7 to windows 10 We couldn't install windows 10we've set your pc back to the way it was right before you started installing windows 10.0xC1900101 - 0x20017the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error...
  4. XPS 8700 Windows 10 restarting without asking

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    XPS 8700 Windows 10 restarting without asking: Hi! I got this XPS 8700 7 years ago with windows 10 installed and recently it’s been acting horribily. Now out of no where, my computer will shut down and sometimes turn on by itself. I’m looking online and there’s two possible solutions, check and update the drivers, or...
  5. We couldn't install Windows 10

We couldn't install Windows 10: I ran the setup.exe and it went through the process normally and in the end i got this message with error code: 0x80070002 - 0x3000D The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation[ATTACH]...
  6. We couldn't install Windows 10

We couldn't install Windows 10: I tried repair upgrade of Windows 10, installation ended with this error code: 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 I had previously problem with efi partition, i had to remake it. Also installation said: "we can't tell if your pc is ready to continue installing windows 10. try restarting...
  7. Dell XPS 8700 upgrades

Dell XPS 8700 upgrades: I'm looking to upgrade my wife's older Dell desktop. She is running windows 7, I would like to give it new life. It takes minutes to completely start up. I purchased a 1TB hard drive and a 250gb ssd. Can I install an OEM version of windows 10 home? or should I get a retail...
  8. We couldn't install Windows 10

We couldn't install Windows 10: Hello, The month of October and November, Windows has been trying to do an update but continues to error out and says update failed, reinstalling previous version. Finally, it got stuck and I had to reinstall my Windows 8. I am still trying to install the Windows 10 using...
  9. Can the Dell XPS 8700 be upgraded to Windows 10?

Can the Dell XPS 8700 be upgraded to Windows 10?: A friend with a Dell XPS 8700 i5 that was running Windows 7 had the OS crash. Recovery media is no longer available and a Microsoft Windows 7 disk isn't a solution because it requires inputting a license key; apparently Dell PCs have the license key embedded in the bios. The...
  10. XPS 8700 Boot Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    XPS 8700 Boot Issues: About a month ago I decided to upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10 on my 2 year old XPS 8700. The update went smoothly and worked fine. When I would shutdown my computer or restart it would attempt to update but fail and revert changes every time. I found this weird but it...