Windows 10: Yes, Windows 10 runs great on old hardware

Discus and support Yes, Windows 10 runs great on old hardware in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I am dual booting Win10 Insider preview 14257 with Vista in my spare DT, AMD Athlon 3800+(2006), 4GB RAM. Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Feb 7, 2016.

1. brummyfan Win User

Yes, Windows 10 runs great on old hardware

I am dual booting Win10 Insider preview 14257 with Vista in my spare DT, AMD Athlon 3800+(2006), 4GB RAM.

brummyfan, Feb 8, 2016

2. The last couple of versions of Windows have come a long way in that regard, IMHO. I happily went from XP to 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 on my old beater desktop PC with no noticeable decline in performance. It was the same deal with my main desktop PC that has some better hardware in it. My only hurdles have been waiting for drivers to catch up so all the hardware works like its supposed to work. With all its features fully functional.

alphanumeric, Feb 8, 2016
  3. orlbuckeye, Feb 8, 2016
  4. Scramjet Win User

Windows 10 runs great on my P5E3 Deluxe x38 DualCore2 x64 8Gb RAM. Since I added a new 250 SSD drive, its faster again. I haven't had any more hiccups then others who have new systems...maybe less *Smile So I am happen as long as this system stays running. I find this system is very solid from Win7 up to Win10 *Smile

cheers

Scramjet, Feb 8, 2016
  5. dgordon42 Win User
    My system originally ran Vista Ultimate 64 bit, and I have been upgrading to like versions ever since.

2GB does (just) meet the min spec here

Task manager normally shows memory usage around 70 - 80%

I guess I will have to fit another 2GB at some stage.

Dave.

dgordon42, Feb 8, 2016
  6. Trust_No1 Win User
    I wasn't as fortunate as some here, I installed it on an old Acer Revo, and it slowed to a crawl with Windows 10, though the switch back process worked without a hitch. I have several people I help maintain their machines, and several are complaining of slowing issues after upgrading to Windows 10. I have decided not to even bother with helping them, and suggest they revert back to their previous OS.

As many know I am not a fan of Windows 10, 7 & 8 offer far more for me. Windows 10 is more a pain in the a$$ than it is worth, with all the forced updates and nagging to convert. IMHO. If it isn't broke why try to fix it.

I still think MS must be spending a few bucks at ZDNet, they seem to be only magazine that hails Windows 10.

Trust_No1, Feb 8, 2016
  7. slyphnier Win User
    not sure if 2008 hi-end spec called old by now... cpu not improving much nowdays anyway
    they should put more old system to test... like from Pentium4 or so

the main problem is that unsupported device on windows10, its still okay if its not core device (device that needed for system to run properly)... like wifi, various external device. etc
    but such as legacy GPU from old notebook/PC is out of answer beside staying on old OS, except u can somewhat mod+force new driver to be installed on the system

slyphnier, Feb 8, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

I have to agree with you there. Might be a bit complicated for him though.

You should read what he thinks(?) about systemd. Someone told him in the pub him it was rubbish.

He isn't terribly bright, bless him.

9. Leopard Win User
    The Znet article - that is a premium system they used. If W10 did not run well on it, I would have been surprised and disappointed. I expect W10 to run exceptionally well on a maxed out system - even if it is older technology. I read about a 12 year old system - maxed out - and it too ran W10 exceptionally well. However, OEM drivers, rather than generics were used. Old could be considered anything prior to Skylake. OK, you have a minimum requirement PC that W10 can run on today. W10 is not at its full potential right now, so will it run as well in 2-3 years from now? Messing with old stuff is fun. Pushing the limits is fun. I would not take my only production (primary) PC and do the same.

Leopard, Feb 8, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    Is your primary PC skylake? Mine certainly isn't (I wish it was but I'm still waiting for something new and unfortunately I don't have the spare notes atm).

The guy is an arse. I could find some more of his blogs to prove it but I can't (as they say) be arsed. Here is one though (it is called "I don't understand systemd at all")

11. Leopard Win User
    Skylake is big bucks where I live. I hope to buy a new PC late 2017. I'll look at all the new stuff not just Skylake. By then the new technology will have been tested hardware wise. By then W10 will be several builds on and working in concert with the hardware. Mr Bott may have taken his seat on the Mars mission by then. I've been informed it is a one way ticket.

Leopard, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Yes, Windows 10 runs great on old hardware - Similar Threads - Yes runs great

2. Windows 10 running old softwares

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 running old softwares: Since I changed my hard drive, my computer started to run old softwares such as windows 7's calculator and microsoft store never loads. Do i have to mannually install all windows 10's softwares?...
  3. Windows 10 running old softwares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 running old softwares: Since I changed my hard drive, my computer started to run old softwares such as windows 7's calculator and microsoft store never loads. Do i have to mannually install all windows 10's softwares?...
  4. Windows 10 running old softwares

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?: So, I have a VERY old legacy program that was written during the late 90's (not by me) and runs just fine on an old Pentium machine I have (running Win98). This program basically plays wav files while it commands an external board via an RS232 port. On a lark, I wondered if...
  6. Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?: So, I have a VERY old legacy program that was written during the late 90's (not by me) and runs just fine on an old Pentium machine I have (running Win98). This program basically plays wav files while it commands an external board via an RS232 port. On a lark, I wondered if...
  7. old hardware licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    old hardware licence: Ok so a bit of background before my question... I had purchased a laptop for my daughter a few years back with windows 7 on it, when the offer to upgrade to 10 for free came up I did so. Jump ahead to this past August I bought her a new laptop with windows 10 preinstalled. My...
  8. Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware: So from my last thread it seems that there isn't a main thread for this so here's one. If you've got some old hardware that will run Win10 and the will to do it, post about it here. Post screenshots to proove you've got it working. And no, Core 2 CPUs don't count as old,...
  9. Win 10 Workable on old hardware?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 Workable on old hardware?: I own a Toshiba NB100-10Y (netbook ) with following hardware: CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270@1.60GHz RAM: 798MHz 2GB RAM Is this: 1. enough to clean install Window 10 Home Edition 32-bit and 2. will it be workable? thanks for any anser, gabriël 43393
  10. Let's run Windows 10 Final under old hardware Pentium 4 Socket 478

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Let's run Windows 10 Final under old hardware Pentium 4 Socket 478: hello there everyone !!! This subject is opened only becouse of couriosity. There have been simillar one thread under other section: Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware - Page 6 - Windows 10 Forums But it looks dead for now. Moreover it was connected to Insider...