Windows 10: "You can't install Windows 10 to a USB drive using setup" cure?

Discus and support "You can't install Windows 10 to a USB drive using setup" cure? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My internet searches on that message have yielded two ways of "fixing" that message when trying to install Windows 10 updates using a downloaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dahermit, Mar 23, 2018.

1. dahermit Win User

"You can't install Windows 10 to a USB drive using setup" cure?

My internet searches on that message have yielded two ways of "fixing" that message when trying to install Windows 10 updates using a downloaded Windows.ISO file. The fixes are here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id...ash-drive.html

My question is: Why are those "fixes" necessary on some computers and not on others? My wife's computer is a twin of mine, and in her registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control. "PortableOperatingSystem", is set to "1" and it has downloaded and installed the latest Windows 10 upgrade without having to be set to "0" (presumably telling the update to install on the hard drive rather than a USB drive).

:)

dahermit, Mar 23, 2018

2. windows 10 upgrade to version 1511,10586

Does anyone else have the same problem with this upgrade not installing? I keep getting the warning that it can't install and the " fix issues" doesn't do anything but loop. I get the message that " you can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using
    Setup." This is ongoing since November.

davidlouishernandez, Mar 23, 2018
  3. Windows 10 insists I am trying to install to a USB drive.

I have stripped out all USB devices and hubs and the second hard drive and refreshed the device manager. I am using the keyboard and mouse from an identical machine that upgraded with no problem from Windows 7. This machine is running Windows 8 and when
    I hit the "Get Windows 10" app on the toolbar it gets to checking requirements then stops and says "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using setup". I'm not so what do I do?

JulianEley, Mar 23, 2018
  4. dahermit Win User

Just to be sure that readers know what the problem is, my Windows 10 Pro will not install the 1709 update to my computer.
    From another computer site, I received a way of resetting my computer's update control file. I ran it, but it generated errors.
    Here is a screenshot of those errors. I hope someone can provide a way of fixing them.

"You can't install Windows 10 to a USB drive using setup" cure? [​IMG]

dahermit, Mar 29, 2018
  5. Berton Win User
    What I see could be an issue is incorrect commands in the last 2, shouldn't be as many spaces after the > before ren and needs a backslash \ after SoftwareDistribution instead of a space and a backslash \ after catroot2 instead of the space. Such mistypes will always return an error message.

Berton, Mar 30, 2018
  6. dahermit Win User
    It was an, already written, batch file which I ran, so I don't know.
    But the "c:\windows\system32> net stop cryptSvc" seemed to work though.
    Nevertheless, I cannot find the source of that Regedit batch file now...I have done so many searches on the problem.
    In any event, here is a screenshot of the whole batch file as run:

dahermit, Mar 30, 2018
  7. simrick Win User

Could be that you already have a SoftwareDistribution.old and a catroot2.old, so, try renaming them to *.old1 or *.old2.

simrick, Mar 30, 2018
  8. dahermit Win User

I am not sure how one would actually do that. I would need a step-by-step before I would even attempt it. Also, note that there were more errors than just two misnamed files.

Here is the link to the downloadable batch file I was talking about (which I ran):
    Reset Windows Update in Windows 10

dahermit, Mar 30, 2018
  9. simrick Win User
    So your system currently has 1703 on it?
    Can you run winver and post a screenshot?
    Have you tried downloading the latest ISO and mounting it, and running setup.exe from within your current W10 OS?

simrick, Mar 30, 2018
  10. simrick Win User
    Have you run the Windows Update Troubleshooter?

The batch file you ran is simply a bunch of commands that you could put into an admin command prompt manually. Brink made the batch file, to make it easier to do. But if you're renaming files to filenames that already exist, you'll get an error (like the last 2 errors you got).

If you want to do it manually, the steps are here:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/manual...ate-components

But I would try the Windows Update Troubleshooter first.

simrick, Mar 30, 2018
  11. dahermit Win User
    1703 on my comptuer
    version 1703(os build 15063.966).

Been there...done that (downloading the latest ISO and mounting it, and running setup.exe from within your current W10 OS?). It did not work.

dahermit, Mar 30, 2018
  12. dahermit Win User
    Troubleshooter did not fix the problem.

dahermit, Mar 30, 2018
  13. dahermit Win User

I think that I could figure out how to do the renaming as you suggest, but I have two other errors that I have no idea how to deal with:

dahermit, Mar 30, 2018
  14. simrick Win User
    Your BITS and Installer services are not running.

Type services in the search bar, open services and look for those two services.
    BITS should be set to Automatic (Delayed Start) and Windows Installer should be set to Manual.

Sometimes Windows Update will be disabled by an infection - are you sure the system is clean?
    You can try running ADWCleaner to see if anything is lurking:
    Downloads - AdwCleaner - ToolsLib
    SCAN, then CLEAN (reboot)
    Post the logs here if anything is found.

Have you run sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt to check the integrity of the Windows Filesystem?

What software is different between yours and your wife's computers?

Does your wife also have a cloned drive in hers?

simrick, Mar 30, 2018
  15. dahermit Win User
    I set BITS to Automatic...I do not know what is meant by "Delayed Start". Windows Installer was already set to Manual.
    Ran ADWCleaner a couple of times, nothing was left lurking. Rebooted.
    "...did not find any integrity violations."
    She has Windows 10 Pro also, but her's upgraded automatically to 1709 without incident. She has greeting card software, picture/photo handling software, some games. We both have Glary Registry Repair, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Windows Defender running, I have Grammarly, AOMEI hard disk Partitioning and MiniTool partition, CCleaner, Marium Reflect, LibreOffice, CDBurner, etc. Too many to list.

I ran Windows 10 Update Assistant after the above changes and it crashed as usual.

dahermit, Mar 30, 2018
Thema:

1. "You can't install Windows 10 to a USB drive using setup" cure? - Similar Threads - can't install USB

2. Windows Setup fails with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Setup fails with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".: ProblemWindows Setup failed with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".See Screenshot 2, below.For Solution, see the next message in this thread... - Of 13th Jan 2022, by Sumit Dhiman-Windows Insider MVP 2018-2020 and Independent Advisor. - Many thanks...
  3. Window setup USB drive

Window setup USB drive: Trying fix boot up error using USB drive setup repair and stuff but got this pop upIf click yes dose it removed all personal file or give me an option keep personal file, If click no send back the advanced option...
  4. Installing Windows 10 Using a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows 10 Using a USB Flash Drive: Upon booting the computer from my usb flash drive which has the windows 10 20H2 ISO using Rufus, I am met with a screen which has a white line on the top left corner of my screen. After blinking for a few seconds, the Windows Logo shows for a split second and then the system...
  5. "This PC can't run Windows 10, You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup"

"This PC can't run Windows 10, You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup": Hi, I've been trying to get the Windows 10 May 2020 Update on my laptop specifications below, but I seem to get this error no matter what I try. The update doesn't show up in the "Check for updates" utility on the UWP control panel, and so I've tried using the upgrade tool...
  6. Can't use Windows 10 recovery USB drive

Can't use Windows 10 recovery USB drive: My HP laptop with Windows 10 Home wouldn't boot into windows or repair itself or do a system restore. The only thing it would do is let me create a recovery USB to restore my files, settings, etc. So, I chose that option from the boot menu and it supposedly successfully...
  7. cannot do Windows 10 update due to "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup"

cannot do Windows 10 update due to "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup": I have been doing nearly all the Microsoft updates on my Windows 10 PC until recently when they failed to work (see 2nd image below), due to the pop up window stating "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup" (see image below). I am not trying to install...
  8. Can't install up Windows on USB flash drive during setup

Can't install up Windows on USB flash drive during setup: I have Windows 1803 and it keeps urging me to upgrade. I installed the windows upgrade assistant. It downloads 1903, but then tells me it can't be installed on a USB flash drive. Thing is, I don't have a USB flash drive on the system. I have a SSD, but Windows can be...
  9. "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up."

"You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up.": So, I'm trying to upgrade my windows 10 to the newest version but when I try I get the "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up." error. The only external device I have plugged in is a hard drive with 84.3 GB of space available. My C: drive has 18 GB...
  10. Error You can't install Windows on USB drive

Error You can't install Windows on USB drive: I want to upgrade my Windows 10 1607 to 1809. When i finish download everything and start preparing it's stop and say You can't install Windows on USB drive. I want to upgrade/update it not install Windows 10 on USB drive. I already try using MediaCreationTool1809 and...