Windows 10: Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Sumit Dhiman, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10

Windows 10 comes with the Maps app preinstalled. Maps is your guide to everywhere. Find your way with voice navigation and turn-by-turn driving, transit, and walking directions. Search for places to get directions, business info, and reviews. Download maps to use when youre offline. Tour the world virtually with aerial imagery and 360 degree street-level views. Plus, you get the same experience across all your Windows 10 PCs and phones.

If you would like to search for places and get directions in the Maps app even when you are not connected to the Internet, you should download maps for offline use.

Users can metered connection by default.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the automatic download and update of map data for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the automatic download and update of map data.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Automatic Updates for Offline Maps enabled and disabled

Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Local Group Policy Editor
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the location below in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Maps

3. In the right pane of Maps in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Turn off Automatic Download and Update of Map Data policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable), step 6 (disable), step 7 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable (always on) Automatic Updates for Offline Maps
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable (always off) Automatic Updates for Offline Maps
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Default Automatic Updates for Offline Maps
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. Close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Maps

AutoDownloadAndUpdateMapData DWORD

(delete) = Default
    0 = Disable (always off)
    1 = Enable (always on)

1. Do step 2 (enable), step 3 (disable), step 4 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable (always on) Automatic Updates for Offline Maps
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Always_enable_automatic_download_and_update_of_map_data.reg

Download

3. To Disable (always off) Automatic Updates for Offline Maps
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Always_disable_automatic_download_and_update_of_map_data.reg

Download

4. Default Automatic Updates for Offline Maps

Default_automatic_download_and_update_of_map_data.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Sumit Dhiman, Mar 31, 2016
  2. Brink Win User

Disable Offline Maps in Windows 10

I've only found a GPO to disable automatic map updates.

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. CPinnegar Win User
    Disable Offline Map downloads and updates

Yeah, that disables the auto download and update....which is good. I'm trying to take it a step further by greying out the options for offline maps altogether.

With that GPO set users can still manually download...

CPinnegar, Oct 27, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10

Microsoft enables offline play for Windows 10 games

Most Windows 10 games will support offline play, but you'll have to work at it.

Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 NK5onxJwAvtQTxbkwSUoG8-650-80.png

"Larry Hryb, the man known to the world as Major Nelson, announced on Twittertoday that Microsoft has "made some backend updates to improve your experience playing @Windows 10 games offline." Basically, if you're going to be somewhere that lacks online coverage—on a submarine, for instance—it will still be possible to play your games. But there are some restrictions.

"Most games available in the Store on your Windows 10 device support offline play, but check the details of the game to make sure yours is supported by searching for your game at http://www.xbox.com," the Xbox support site says. "Most games with a campaign mode will be playable offline, but games with network co-op or multiplayer features will not work while you’re offline. While playing offline, some features, such as the ability to purchase additional items from the Windows Store, will not be available. Additionally, any leaderboards will be unavailable while you're offline."

Obviously, online features like buying stuff from in-game stores won't be available when you're offline, but the bit about "games with network co-op or multplayer features" not working while offline really isn't clear. We tested with Gears of War 4 and confirmed that the offline features like campaign and LAN multiplayer worked just fine when disconnected.

There are more caveats, though. You're limited to just one "designated offline device" at a time, and you can only change your designated offline device three times per year. Switching into offline mode isn't all that easy, either. First, you'll need to set your designated offline device:

• Make sure that you’re online.
    • Check that your device has the latest Windows updates: Go to Start,Settings, Update and security, and then Windows Update and see if any relevant updates are available.
    • Open the Store. You’ll be prompted to sign in if you haven’t already.
    • Select the Me icon (this is your profile picture).
    • Select Settings, and then under Offline Permissions, make sure that the toggle is set to On.
    After that, you'll have to "prepare" your games by launching each one that you want to play offline while you're still online, and logging into your Xbox Live account. This is a bit like launching Steam into Offline mode while you still have an internet connection... but you'll have to prepare each individual Xbox game this way before going offline.

Once you've logged into the game while you're online, you can exit at any time and you'll be set. Of course, if you change your mind and want to play something you haven't properly prepared, you're out of luck.

The upside is that this only affects Windows 10 games, but it still seems wildly complicated and restrictive to me. Worse, while improved functionality is always welcome, I can't see how this does anything but beg for unflattering comparisons with Steam: When I want to play my Steam games offline, I set Steam offline, restart it, and I'm on my way—and I can do it as often as I want. Microsoft's implementation of offline play is an improvement, but only because it wasn't available at all previously. As a step toward becoming more competitive with Steam, though, it falls woefully short.
    "

Microsoft enables offline play for Windows 10 games | PC Gamer

P4-630, Oct 27, 2019
  5. CPinnegar Win User

Hello,

If you browse to Settings>System>Offline Maps, you'll see the +Download Maps option, and further down, the "automatically update maps" toggle.

How would one disable both of these from the registry?

I'm starting the search in HKLM\System\Maps - but nothing that I've tried has worked.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

CPinnegar, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Techy Win User

Were you able to find the solution to this issue ?

Techy, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Automatic

2. offline maps in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    offline maps in windows 10: what is the reason that Pakistan map isn't listed in the offline maps of windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/offline-maps-in-windows-10/98c2fac6-99c8-4693-aeb1-d49aa460ce6d
  3. How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Windows Update in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Windows Update in Windows 10: Windows 10 will automatically check for new Windows Updates at the time you have set in automatic maintenance. Windows 10 will automatically download and install important and critical updates by default Some updates are not installed automatically. This includes optional...
  4. Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows How to Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows Offline Files is a feature of Sync Center that makes network files available to a user, even if the network connection to the server is unavailable. Users can use...
  5. Offline Maps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Offline Maps: Where can I find downloaded offline maps, so that I can copy them over to my new laptop for traveling instead of having to download all over again ? Would simple copying works? Thanks for any advice. 49342
  6. Disable Offline Maps in Windows 10

Disable Offline Maps in Windows 10: is there a GPO or a registry key that can be changed to disable Offline Maps option in System Settings on a Windows 10 machine ? 54123
  7. Disable Offline Map downloads and updates

Disable Offline Map downloads and updates: Hello, If you browse to Settings>System>Offline Maps, you'll see the +Download Maps option, and further down, the "automatically update maps" toggle. How would one disable both of these from the registry? I'm starting the search in HKLM\System\Maps - but nothing that...
  8. Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows 10 will automatically check for new Windows Updates at the time you have set in automatic maintenance. Windows...
  9. Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with the Maps app preinstalled. Maps is your guide to everywhere. Find your way with voice navigation and...
  10. Check for Updates of Offline Maps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Check for Updates of Offline Maps in Windows 10: How to: Check for Updates of Offline Maps in Windows 10 How to Check for Map Updates of Offline Maps in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with the Maps app preinstalled. Maps is your guide to everywhere. Find your way with voice navigation and turn-by-turn driving, transit,...