Windows 10: Your Comments/Suggestions on my New Anti-malware Setup

Discus and support Your Comments/Suggestions on my New Anti-malware Setup in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; With my Norton subscription about to expire, I thought I'd try something different. I removed the Norton program (which I was generally pleased with)... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mr Ed, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Mr Ed Win User

Your Comments/Suggestions on my New Anti-malware Setup

With my Norton subscription about to expire, I thought I'd try something different. I removed the Norton program (which I was generally pleased with) and installed Super Anti-Spyware Pro to run alongside Windows Defender. Super Anti-Spyware doesn't shut down Defender like other AV programs might, but runs right along with it. It's too early for me to tell if it's been a good choice, but I'm willing to give it a shot. BTW, I got the Super Anti-Spyware Pro on sale online for $9.00, about $20 off the regular price. So, comments or suggestions from any of you pros?

Toshiba Satellite L55-A5226, Windows 10-64, Anniv.

:)

Mr Ed, Feb 9, 2017

2. Windows Defender

You're welcome.

WRT Malwarebytes I think it might be worth reading the following articles:

and also this recent post:
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/216005-which-av-to-use-with-malwarebytes-3/?do=findComment&comment=1188233

which I have copied/pasted below:

Whatever AV you use be sure to add these exclusions just in case.

Add these files to your Anti-Virus exclusions list as mentioned in this
    FAQ HERE
    (my list below includes the exe files as well)

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\malwarebytes_assistant.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
    • C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
    Also please exclude the following folders too: (The complete folder)

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware
    • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService
    UNQUOTE

Cheers,

Julia

Jsssssssss, Feb 9, 2017
  3. Windows defender won't share

Just meant as an additional information...

WRT Malwarebytes I think it might be worth reading the following articles:

and also this recent post:
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/216005-which-av-to-use-with-malwarebytes-3/?do=findComment&comment=1188233

which I have copied/pasted below:

Whatever AV you use be sure to add these exclusions just in case.

Add these files to your Anti-Virus exclusions list as mentioned in this
    FAQ HERE
    (my list below includes the exe files as well)

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\malwarebytes_assistant.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
    • C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
    Also please exclude the following folders too: (The complete folder)

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware
    • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService
    UNQUOTE

Cheers,

Julia

Jsssssssss, Feb 9, 2017
  4. Mr Ed Win User

UPDATE: After reading some negative reviews on Superantispyware, I uninstalled it and going to try AVG Free instead.

Mr Ed, Feb 10, 2017
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I strongly advise to use Windows Defender as main AV program alongside more protection layers (MBAE, some antiransomware, etc).

In my opinion, installing any other AV than WD into w10 is looking for trouble. I also think AVG spies and sells some private collected data to third-parties. And it also installs some adware (a toolbar if I am not mistaken).

eLPuSHeR, Feb 10, 2017
  6. I was in the same position as you with my Norton AV running out.
    A few weeks ago I switched to Bitdefender free AV with the Windows Defender firewall. It's working well so far.
    I do run a anti malware program as well.

Cornishman, Feb 10, 2017
  7. AndreTen Win User
    WD is not that bad, but stating that with any other you're looking for trouble is really strong position (don't know how to put it in polite way...) and should be backed up with same data..

My setup ATM too. BD free is working nicely with Windows 10.

If you are looking replacement for Norton, check most constant AV solution over last few years (Symantec, Kaspersky and Bitdefender, Avira perhaps...) back them up with some antimalware etc.

AndreTen, Feb 10, 2017
  8. Mr Ed Win User

I've decided to try aKapersky suite. I have a 30 day free trial to test it out, It's petty highly rated, from what I've researched.

Mr Ed, Feb 11, 2017
  9. munk1955 Win User
    Here is what I have been doing since I moved up to Win 10 and have not gotten anything on my PC's(2 identical HP's) that have not been caught by one of the below......

Antivirus..........WD
    Firewall...........Comodo(Free firewall only)
    Microsoft safety scanner........I download and use this free once a month

And concerning the Comodo firewall which I consider one of the best firewalls bare none is I also use the browser sand boxing capability that comes with the Comodo firewall.

And I have actually been doing this since 8/8.1 also with no problems.

munk1955, Feb 11, 2017
  10. Mr Ed Win User
    UPDATE; I'm using Bitdefender Free AV now. Recently installed, it's already corralled two malicious programs or websites. So far, looks like a keeper for me.

Mr Ed, Feb 11, 2017
  11. munk1955 Win User
    Mr Ed you sure don't let any grass grow under your feet do you...lol

Yesterday you were on AVG,16 hours ago you were on Kapersky and 3 minutes ago you are now on Bitdefender.

Sir I think you are in Trump mode......Hope you finally find something that you can stick with!

munk1955, Feb 11, 2017
  12. JohnBurns Win User
    *Roflmao2

JohnBurns, Feb 11, 2017
  13. Your Comments/Suggestions on my New Anti-malware Setup

In my opinion you have made a good choice.

Cornishman, Feb 11, 2017
  14. AndreTen Win User
    I'm satisfied with it too. Now add Bitdefender TrafficLight to your browser. It works well with free AV. Not sure about privacy, thou

Your Comments/Suggestions on my New Anti-malware Setup [​IMG]

AndreTen, Feb 11, 2017
  15. Mr Ed Win User
    Yep, when I get focused on project, I just keep going. I've been obsessed with AV programs lately. and have been trying one after another. I'm pretty certain I'm done now, at least for a while. *chuckle

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, when I get focused on project, I just keep going. I've been obsessed with AV programs lately. and have been trying one after another. I'm pretty certain I'm done now, at least for a whi

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, when I get focused on project, I just keep going. I've been obsessed with AV programs lately. and have been trying one after another. I'm pretty certain I'm done now, at least for a while.

Mr Ed, Feb 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Your Comments/Suggestions on my New Anti-malware Setup - Similar Threads - Comments Suggestions Anti

2. Anti malware service

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Anti malware service: Anti malware services run every time I connect internet to my pc and consume all the available cpu. Should I keep them running? Or how to close them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/anti-malware-service/21c4996e-14fa-4db7-a476-aeee99527de9
  3. Anti Virus suggestions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anti Virus suggestions: View Poll submitted by /u/findong [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j5w5io/anti_virus_suggestions/
  4. Anti malware

Anti malware: I have Windows 10. I think my computer is infected with malware. I ran malwarebytes and it did not show anything. When i scanned using windows defender, it showed potentially unwanted app PUA...piriform bundler. I have no idea what it is. I tried "Actions" to remove, but...
  5. Anti malware confusion

Anti malware confusion: I have a Hewlett Packard notebook running Windows 8.1 from 2015 and don't have any of the installation media. I want to keep using this for the time being. Upgrading to Windows 10 is proving sufficiently complex considerations for bootable system restore device, update...
  6. anti virus malware

anti virus malware: what is the best anti virus malware product to use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-virus-malware/071e19f9-9d23-4806-8462-06b6fc936657"
  7. Anti-malware

Anti-malware: My computer has been acting real buggy. Lagging a lot. Windows Defender doesn't find anything. Is there a better anti-malware I can use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-malware/76a2edee-f716-424e-ad5f-9873a1c0ffa8"
  8. Anti-malware question

Anti-malware question: Does anybody know if there is a better anti-malware than Windows Defender ? 30450
  9. Anti-virus and Anti-malware??

Anti-virus and Anti-malware??: 1. Do I need a particular anti-malware software , in addition to Anti-virus? 2. Is the paid version of Avast good and sufficient enough to reduce risks? 3. Is "malware" a collective term that includes ransomware, adware, spyware ...... or are they all different things...
  10. anti malware scanner

anti malware scanner: Hi I have tried Trend Micro, Emisoft and a couple of other stand alone scanners to check my a/v program - Defender. Each has been detrimental. One left "bin" a folder that only Unlocker could remove. Another I had to use Revo to uninstall. Is there a reliable one that...