Windows 10: "Your PC encountered a problem and needs to restart." - Round 2.

Discus and support "Your PC encountered a problem and needs to restart." - Round 2. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently had a thought: could my uninterruptable power supply possibly have anything to do with these BSODs? I have my computer plugged into an APC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by hbenthow, Mar 7, 2017.

1. hbenthow Win User

"Your PC encountered a problem and needs to restart." - Round 2.

I recently had a thought: could my uninterruptable power supply possibly have anything to do with these BSODs? I have my computer plugged into an APC uninterruptable power supply, and I have a USB cable running from said UPS to my computer (which allows my computer to monitor it).

I don't know whether it's relevant, but restarting (via a clicking the "restart" option in the Windows start menu) my computer always causes the UPS readings within Windows to be incorrect (more specifically, to wrongly claim that the battery is not charged or charging), which can easily be fixed by unplugging then re-plugging the USB cable. (This is a slight nuisance.) However, turning my computer off and manually starting it again does not cause this problem (unlike a regular restart).

Also, it appears that whenever the electrcicity goes out and my UPS' battery has to supply power to my computer, Catalyst Control Center will not start up the next time that I restart my computer, or indeed ever again until I unplug the computer power cord for 30 seconds and plug it back in.

I've also had a couple of weird incidents where my computer would get permamently stuck at the initial BIOS bootup screen when powering up, although I suspect that that may have been due to a faulty external USB hard drive enclosure that I happened to have hooked up to my computer at that time.

hbenthow, May 9, 2017
  2. axe0 New Member

Could you check the 3.3v, 5v and 12v values in the BIOS and let us know what they are.

3. hbenthow Win User
    Unfortunately, my BIOS can't provide those details. It's extremely basic, with little information and few options.

These photos contain the only power information (and the only power options) available in my BIOS:

Attachment 134383

Attachment 134384

Attachment 134385

hbenthow, May 9, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

Alternatively, do you have equipment to test the PSU?

5. hbenthow Win User
    What sort of equipment? If you mean multimeters or something of that nature, then no.

I also checked Speccy and HWiNFO, and neither seems to have any information about the computer's Power Supply (although HWiNFO does have information aobut the APC uninterruptable power supply that my computer is plugged into).

hbenthow, May 9, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    I meant a multimeter yes.
    Unless you are a bit tech savvy and know your way around the hardware there isn't really a way to test the PSU for failures (outside of the UPS).

7. hbenthow Win User
    I just remembered something that I had forgotten for quite a while. On the first page of this thread, it was revealed by BSODHunter that my RAM sticks have different speeds.

[/quote]
    In your experience, how likely is it for two different speeds of RAM to result in an issue such as mine? Have you ever encountered (or heard of) a case in which someone received 0x00000124 errors such as mine due to having two different speeds of RAM?

hbenthow, May 11, 2017
  8. axe0 New Member

The most odd case I've seen is a ton of 0x124 caused by a cable being a little loose in the PSU.

A RAM set having different speed could cause many issues including this kind.

9. hbenthow Win User
    I just now saw your post. For some reason, I missed it before.

Do you mean that it's likely that no matter how much troubleshooting I do, the problem will still be there?

The computer has a 1-year warranty from the refurbishers, so I can ask them for a replacement. Do you think that it would be better for me to do that than to continue troubleshooting this one? Or do you believe that all HP 6305s have this particular BSOD issue built-in?

Regarding these issues that I just quoted myself mentioning, the reason that I am concerned is that I'm worried that it might be a sign that my computer's hardware isn't properly communicating. After all, the refusal of Catalyst Control Center to start after the computer temporarily being on UPS power might be a sign that my graphics hardware stops responding correctly after slight changes in the electricity that my system receives. And the other issue (lack of correct reading about my UPS after restarting) might mean that my USB ports temporarily stop communicating correctly after a restart. Do I have cause to be worried? Are either of these issues possibly symptoms of hardware issues (such as a failing motherboard). Does anyone know what could be causing such problems?

hbenthow, May 13, 2017
  10. axe0 New Member
    I'd recommend to ask for a replacement, good chance this will save a lot of time *Smile

Thema:

1. "Your PC encountered a problem and needs to restart." - Round 2. - Similar Threads - encountered problem needs

2. Your PC ran into a Problem and needs to restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Your PC ran into a Problem and needs to restart: When I am Opening an app that is related to my work the PC restarts saying "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart". I tried uninstalling and installing the app as well. But the problem exists. How can I fix this without losing my data?...
  3. Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart: We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. First, a venting exercise to no one in particular. Er, is Bill Gates around? =.=.=.=.=.=.=. START OF VENTING =.=.=.=.=.=.= I see hundreds of posts for this issue. Few seem to be marked as answered. I was...
  4. Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.: Hello, I have since 1 month a problem with my Windows 10, sometimes when i am multitasking my computer just freeze and it restart. Specs STRIX Z270H GAMING Intel i7 7700k 16Gb ram Nvidia GTX 1080 Error The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck...
  5. Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart: Hello! Today as I tried to launch my Laptop Acer Predator Helios 300, Windows 10 occurred a problem. Initially it said “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart” and then went through a diagnosing action and froze out at “Preparing Automatic Repair” black screen with...
  6. “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart”

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart”: This message appeared out of nowhere and is supposed to restart but i’m stuck on the screen, i don’t know what to do. submitted by /u/Bryfex [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fckjfn/your_pc_ran_into_a_problem_and_needs_to_restart/
  7. Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart: Why do I keep getting "your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/your-pc-ran-into-a-problem-and-needs-to-restart/0063e9e9-98e4-47af-ade9-d39a01ff1fe7
  8. :( Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart

:( Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart: I have a problem since when I started to use the new graphic gtx 750ti i have a problem i'm showing up Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart stop code: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA while I used the integrated I did not have this problem, and I noticed that we are it...
  9. Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart: My Windows 10 PC just crashed with a blue screen of death saying "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" (with a smiley face). I cringe when I watch some news show on TV, the camera zooms in and they (say the military) are using Windows doing safety critical /...
  10. "Your PC encountered a problem and needs to restart."

"Your PC encountered a problem and needs to restart.": I was using my computer today when suddenly a bluescreen message saying "Your PC encountered a problem and needs to restart" popped up. It had some other information and some sort of countdown. I ran into another room to grab my camera to take a picture of the message, but...