Windows 10: "Your Windows license will expire soon"

Discus and support "Your Windows license will expire soon" in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi I have been using my custom pc for about 6 months but after making the windows update "2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by philx, Oct 3, 2017.

1. philx Win User

"Your Windows license will expire soon"

Hi I have been using my custom pc for about 6 months but after making the windows update "2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038788)" I now receive the "Your Windows license will expire soon, you need to activate windows in settings" message.

I have tried a few fixes so far to no avail *cry

My PC is custom built and the supplier tells me that the windows 10 Pro is genuine, however he is unable to supply me with the product key and says the windows came with the pc itself *Confused?

I have shared a screen shot of my update & security page.

TIA,

:)

philx, Oct 3, 2017
  2. JustAStrangeGeek, Oct 3, 2017
  3. Sebastian-Micheal, Oct 3, 2017
  4. "Your Windows license will expire soon"

Hi and welcome to Ten Forums! *Smile

Calling @Superfly to join the thread. I think he would be the best person to help you with this issue.

Meanwhile go to Activation Troubleshooting and follow the instructions to the letter and finally post the troubleshooting report here or in that other thread so we can take a closer look.

Also go to ShowKeyPlus and use the instructions to check your product key validity/type.

"Your Windows license will expire soon" [​IMG]
    Warning
    Before you post any diagnostics data here, MAKE SURE you DO NOT post the full product key. Mask the key, we don't want anyone to get access to your key, including ourselves.

slicendice, Oct 3, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Whoever supplied the pc has installed a dodgy volume licence key for sure which is not permitted by MS. This is basically a scam.

If you actually paid to have Windows installed, or pc was advertised as having it preinstalled, then complain to whoever sold you the pc.

I reckon the supplier is bullshitting you.

It does not matter if seller bought pc from somebody else - it is still legally his problem.

cereberus, Oct 3, 2017
  6. Let us not be too hasty...First we must diagnose the problem, then we can draw conclusions. We don't know the legal aspect of this yet.

slicendice, Oct 3, 2017
  7. philx Win User
    It seems like its genuine *Huh...wonder whats causing this then still.

philx, Oct 3, 2017
  8. "Your Windows license will expire soon"

Looks to me that Windows has trouble contacting the activation server. Let's wait for Superfly to verify my diagnose and for further assistance..

slicendice, Oct 3, 2017
  9. "Windows is activated using your organizations activation server" << Means it is activated via a Volume Licence key. That's not legal for resale. Any other install, including a MAK key gets a Digital Licence. If those installs can't connect to the activation server it shows different on the activation screen. It will say activated with a digital licence, then have an error message below that, usually in red text with an error message. In this instance, the Volume Licence (fake) activation has timed out. And now it can't reactivate. Volume Licence installs have to reactivate every so many days, 120 I think? IMHO This is not a legal Windows 10 install.

alphanumeric, Oct 3, 2017
  10. Could you please provide us with information for what different methods you have tried to re-activate your Windows?

It seems you are currently using the GVLK (Generic Volume License Key)...have you tried to put this key in yourself, or was this key put there by the person who sold you your computer?

slicendice, Oct 3, 2017
  11. hawkman Win User
    Hi Philx,

The key in use is a KMS Client Setup Key
    XXXXX-XXXXX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX

It has to validate against a server, in this case the error code 0xC004F074 means its unavailable,
    ie not set-up/blocked/cannot connect.
    error code 0x8007139F, usually means its not connected to a certified domain.

These type of keys are bulk issued to business's and educational establisments, and as you said it was "sold" with your computer then i have to say youve been done.
    Go back to the shop demand a genuine RETAIL key,
    Reporting him to MS >might< get you a key.

Roy

There was no need for the Admin/mods to remove the first 2 sets of the key
    its widely available all over the net, and on MS technet windows server artical re KM setup

hawkman, Oct 3, 2017
  12. "Setup" keys, as far as I know, will never activate. You get those if you do a stock install and haven't setup your KMS and or entered your actual legal KMS key. Some of the "fixes" he tried may have reset it back to the setup key.

Illegal KMS servers get taken down quit regularly. Once that happens, all the illegally activated PC's using it, will time out and give the message the OP is getting.
    If you run showkey it will almost certainly show BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB for the key in use. That's what I see for my Education and Enterprise installs done with my MSDN MAK keys.
    If this was an OEM PC, HP, Dell, etc, there would be a key embedded in the BIOS. Being custom built, likely not. Showkey will show it if its there. If it is, that key can be used to activate Windows 10. You would have to be running the matching Edition though, Home, Pro etc.

13. "Your Windows license will expire soon"

Go back to the shop demand a genuine RETAIL key,
    Reporting him to MS >might< get you a key.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

14. Reselling a PC that is Volume Licensed is illegal, period, no ifs ands or buts. He may have gotten it with Windows Preinstalled, but that still doesn't make it legal to resell it with that particular version. Legally activated Home or Pro yes, Volume License no. The Volume License is owned by the company and stays with that company, it's not transferable. It could be that he got the PC second hand. I've seen it before, the IT guy gets lazy and doesn't wipe the company install from the PC like they are supposed to. Or the company just went belly up and the assets are sold as is. Then we end up where we are now. Activation times out when that PC can no longer connect to the company KMS server. That's quit often only possible if you have access to that companies internal network.

The other scenario is the guy in the PC shop just blatantly pirated Windows by setting up or connecting to a fake KMS server. That happens to, all to frequently IMHO.

Either way, this PC will fail to activate and you need to get a valid Product code/Licensee to keep using it.

15. philx Win User
    Thanks for the replies. What is my proof that it is not genuine exactly if I am to bring it back and demand a genuine key?

I have added my show key report now.

The steps I did previously were something I found to do in this situation on google, outlined below, but didn't rectify the problem.

"If the issue persists,Please perform the steps mentioned below and see if it helps.
    a: Press Windows key + X.
    b: Then click Command Prompt(admin)
    c: Now type the following command and then hit enter
    slmgr -rearm
    d: Now restart the computer."

philx, Oct 3, 2017
Thema:

"Your Windows license will expire soon"

1. "Your Windows license will expire soon" - Similar Threads - license expire soon

2. Your windows license will expire soon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Your windows license will expire soon: I have been using my Windows 10Pro since September 2019, and all was fine until "Your Windows License Will Expire Soon" started to appear yesterday.The company I bought the laptop from are no longer trading.Through checking settings, and under Activation it states: Windows is...
  3. Your windows license will expire soon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Your windows license will expire soon: I have been using my Windows 10Pro since September 2019, and all was fine until "Your Windows License Will Expire Soon" started to appear yesterday.The company I bought the laptop from are no longer trading.Through checking settings, and under Activation it states: Windows is...
  4. Your Windows License will expire soon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Your Windows License will expire soon: Hi, I got my laptop 4 years ago and sent it to a shop for a factory reset earlier this year I wasn't able to run admin since the first user forgot their password. Now this prompt is appearing and I fear I'll lose access to my laptop, Its the only one I have for school works....
  5. "Your Windows license will expire soon"

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    "Your Windows license will expire soon": I activated Windows over 1 year ago and is still activated as of now. However for some reason popups start appearing everywhere telling me this message: "Your Windows license will expire soon You need to activate Windows in Settings" I click Go to Settings, it says...
  6. “YOUR WINDOWS LICENSE WILL EXPIRE SOON”

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    “YOUR WINDOWS LICENSE WILL EXPIRE SOON”: This is the prompt I’m getting every time I boot up. It’s a second hand PC so I don’t have the original key. Any help would be appreciated on how 1) is this malware 2) if not, easiest way to resolve issue. submitted by /u/-SickDuck [link] [comments]...
  7. your windows license will expire soon

your windows license will expire soon: your windows license will expire soon i traid everything how can I meak this go away https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/your-windows-license-will-expire-soon/1e77be33-1590-441f-8758-718d6a97a314"
  8. ‘Your windows license will expire soon

‘Your windows license will expire soon: They said that I need to activate my windows in settings, while my windows are permanent. What I meant by permanent is that it is fully updated, not a trial....
  9. Your windows license will expire soon...

Your windows license will expire soon...: As stated in the title, it looks like my activated windows license will expire. After the last update I keep getting the error I tried the same old stuff with slgmr -rearm , the services.msc thing everything ....
  10. your windows license will expire soon

your windows license will expire soon: i need help with this problem, how do i actually make my license activate through the organization's activation service [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/your-windows-license-will-expire-soon/7b1dcde5-e744-4470-ab2f-11cc1fed0b81"