Windows 10: You've been signed in with temporary profile error

Discus and support You've been signed in with temporary profile error in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I upgraded to windows 10 about a month ago, from windows 7 home edition (64 bit). I didn't have problems for a few weeks, everything worked... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by HairBrain, Aug 19, 2015.

1. HairBrain Win User

You've been signed in with temporary profile error

I upgraded to windows 10 about a month ago, from windows 7 home edition (64 bit).

I didn't have problems for a few weeks, everything worked correctly. I connected my user with my MS account and that worked as well.
    The problem started, when about 4 days ago i turned on my computer, but after I signed in I got this message: You've been signed in with a temporary profile. beside the message my background image was set to the stock one, and the half of my icons disappeard.

I looked up the internet, this forum as well, but i only found fixes for windows 7 and those didn't work. ( I tried to fix it through the registry, by checking the path of my user, and setting numbers back to 0, but these didn't help)

After some useless trying, i set my user back to offline/local, and after that copied all my folders and files from C:/Users/MyOldAccount to C:/Users/MyNewAccount. I rebooted, and many of my problems were fixed, like programs had my old saves, my background came back etc.
    But at the same time all my apps disappeard, and by apps I mean the Store, Mail, Calendar, Xbox, Gom Player... so every app. I couldn't find them since, and my start menu's place for these is empty.

Now when I go to user's settings, I can't login again with my microsoft account, because when i click it, nothing happens. I can't make a new user as well, beacuse that doesnt do anything.

If anyone has any thoughts about my problem and fixing it, please let me now. I would be really happy to find a solution other than reinstalling/resetting windows, because i would loose abot 70 programs. (I know it, because i started it, but when i saw the list that scared me back)

You've been signed in with temporary profile error [​IMG]
    Information UPDATE
    See here for fix - You've been signed in with a temporary profile - Fix - Windows 10 Forums

:)

HairBrain, Aug 19, 2015
  2. Geethu B Win User

You've been signed in with a temporary profile

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you are getting error "You've been signed in with a temporary profile".
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Conflict between third party applications.

2. Corrupt System Files.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode with Networking and check if the issue occurs. If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode with Networking, I suggest you to set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to refer the article and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Step 2:

If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, perform a clean boot and check. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Warning: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the
    provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to
    perform SFC (System File Checker) Scan and check if it helps. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and replace them.

a. Click on Start button and type
    cmd in the search box.

b. Right-click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d. Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
    Enter.

Note: Do not close the Command Prompt Window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Aug 19, 2015
  3. Evi1Len Win User
    You've been signed in with a temporary profile.

Thank you for your reply.

The answers to you questions are:

1. Since when are you facing this issue?

In the "Event Viewer" I can see the error started on the 20th of Jan 2016, so about 5 days ago. That sounds about write!

2. Did you create any new user account recently?

No just the same single account I have always had (for this computer).

3. You may try to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue.

OK! I have managed to create a new account and that seems to work fine and it seems to be a fully working account. I have since tried to login to the original account and that still has problems.

questions:

1. Is it possible to get the old original account to work? I can just imagine in a few weeks or months thinking oh there is something in that account I want to get so it would be great to get it working.

I think for now I can get it all sorted out as I am a computer programmer and I have used windows for many years so I should be able to copy any data I want from the old account and move it to the new account.

2. If I can't fix the old account what would you recommend I should? It would be good to have 2 working accounts on the computer. Could I delete the bad old account and then recreate it. I have already backed up my users folder
    so I should have everything I need.

Thanks again for your help. I think I am over the main hurdle and I am sure he can sort something out, but any more tips and advice will be great.

Regards

Neville

Evi1Len, Aug 19, 2015
  4. AgentD Win User

I have a very similar problem - upgrade install Win 10 from Win 8.1 - all went very smoothly and no errors or anything, but whenever I try and log in with my Windows account, it ends up logging me in as a temporary user. I can see all my old files, saves and programs, but none of them are showing up in menus. Plus, as it's a temp account, it won't save any changes or configs.

Any help greatly appreciated!

AgentD, Aug 22, 2015
  5. Harpert Win User
  6. AgentD Win User
    That's great, thank you!

Weirdly, just after writing this, I've found a fix!! Running windows update seemed to 'reset' the process and I got the proper account migration window up after a reboot. Literally the sixth reboot in a row but it triggered something.

I really appreciate your quick reply regardless, thank you *Smile

AgentD, Aug 22, 2015
  7. hutchy Win User
    I had this same problem today after upgrading from 8.1 to Windows 10. Manually triggering a windows update check and then a reboot fixed it and made the account migration run correctly.

hutchy, Nov 13, 2015
  8. BruceBon Win User

I am setting up a new HP Windows 10 system, copying files from my old system, and this problem has happened to me twice. First time I followed instructions for editting registry, making a new profile, copying files back into it, etc, but that was a real pain, so the second time it happened, I looked for a better solution and found it, in the free application ReProfile, downloadable from Source Forge. See IWR Computer Consultancy - Technical Support and advice on IT issues for Small Businesses. : Reprofiler and ReProfiler download | SourceForge.net. There are various warnings, so use at your own risk.

What ReProfiler allows you to do is to re-associate the profile for the account (e.g. C:\Users\JohnDoe) with the account login (JohnDoe). I tried it and it worked, with no problems. In particular, I did:
    • Downloaded and installed ReProfiler in my admin account
    • Restarted Window 10 to make sure that the user account was not logged in or in some wierd state
    • Used the Assign button in ReProfiler to reconnect the user with the profile, and then the Test button to check that it worked.
    After that, I logged into the user account, and everything was back to normal. Way easier than the other method!

BruceBon, Dec 16, 2015
  9. AlamoBill Win User
    I've had the same problem as the rest with being redirected into a temp profile on logon after upgrading from WIN 7 to WIN 10 -- but with a different solution.

I figured the corrupted profile was probably due to something unusual in my Win 7 profile. After giving it some thought, I suspected it was probably due to my having redirected my desktop and document folders to a different location. Based on that hunch, I reverted back to my original WIN 7 OS, changed the location of my desktop and documents folders back to their defaults, then proceeded with the WIN 10 upgrade, and voila! -- problem solved!

AlamoBill, Feb 28, 2016
  10. Squibbler Win User
    Hi - I seem to have created a new thread, but meant to post under here as it is related - can anyone help please?

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help. I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 around 2 months ago and generally it works fine. However, three times in that time when I boot up, it has told me I have been signed in to a temporary profile. When I reboot my machine, all is fine. I tried to follow the instructions in this thread You've been signed in with a temporary profile - Fix - Windows 10 Forums this morning as I wondered if possibly it is slightly corrupted. I only have one user profile which is an administrator one. Whilst deleting that registry item caused win 10 to recreate my user profile as described, none of my files were accessible and neither was the internet or my emails.

After a major panic, I managed to use my ipad to google and find out how to do a system restore on Win 10, and rolling back to Monday returned my registry to its previous state TG and I can access my files again.

What did I do wrong? And any idea how to fix this? Thanks.

Another issue that may be related is the first time win 10 did this, it deleted a lot of shortcut icons on my desktop - the programs are still on my system and I was able to drag them back onto the desktop and recreate them.

PS - I dont have a windows key on my keyboard either as per the instructions and had to find another way to get into regedit.

Squibbler, May 16, 2016
  11. normaj Win User
    For me, this temporary profile error happened after upgrading from windows 8 to windows 10. It was resolved when I went into settings and verified my microsoft account, and restarted.

normaj, May 18, 2016
  12. Squibbler Win User
    Hmm thanks, do you mean use a Microsoft account? I don't use one at the moment. Prefer not to if I can avoid it.

Squibbler, May 18, 2016
  13. Squibbler Win User

As it is intermittent ... 3 times only in 2 months, I have a feeling it must occur when I turn my computer on after or during an update perhaps. Not sure.

Squibbler, May 18, 2016
  14. normaj Win User
    yes i used a microsoft account to login when using windows 8 and it was migrated to windows 10

normaj, May 18, 2016
  15. BobRay Win User
    That worked for me. Thanks!

BobRay, May 31, 2016
Thema:

1. You've been signed in with temporary profile error - Similar Threads - You've been signed

2. Temp profile - files and folders lost 'You've been signed in with a temporary profile'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temp profile - files and folders lost 'You've been signed in with a temporary profile': Most folders and files under c:\users\xxxxx\ is either empty or completely missing. No trace anywhere! This issue is haunting lot of our users. The old fix of restoring through regedit winnt\profilelist doesn't help. I would like to know the root cause of this issue as we...
  3. Temp profile - files and folders lost 'You've been signed in with a temporary profile'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temp profile - files and folders lost 'You've been signed in with a temporary profile': Most folders and files under c:\users\xxxxx\ is either empty or completely missing. No trace anywhere! This issue is haunting lot of our users. The old fix of restoring through regedit winnt\profilelist doesn't help. I would like to know the root cause of this issue as we...
  4. Temp profile - files and folders lost 'You've been signed in with a temporary profile'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. You've been signed in with a temorary profile windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    You've been signed in with a temorary profile windows 10: I went on my computer and this message came up. Now all my stuff is gone. I tried to fix it by deleting the temporary profile and getting rid of the .bak from the real one, but it came back! Then I deleted both of them, yet it still returned. Please help....
  6. You've been signed in with a temporary profile

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You've been signed in with a temporary profile: When ever I sign in with my account I get a weird text saying PREPARING WINDOWS and then when I open it I see that all my data is gone, my folders are empty, my desktop is empty, I tried the registry editor trick, I tried the cmd trick but none of it is working, when I did...
  7. Ive been signed into a temporary profile

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Ive been signed into a temporary profile: After I updated windows last night, I got signed into a temporary profile, and I have no idea how to get back to my original one. I tried signing in and out as it said through the troubleshoot menu in the settings and that did not work....
  8. Windows 10: You've been signed in with a temporary profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10: You've been signed in with a temporary profile: When I reset my computer for my friend to use it everything when to crap. I updated it and it has windows 10 now. But every time I try to restart it, it is unable to sign in and says you are logged onto a temporary account. I can't use any apps and the computer barely...
  9. You've been logged in as a temporary user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    You've been logged in as a temporary user: I have looked for a post on this but can't find one with an answer, so apologies for the multi-post! i've done an upgrade install of win10 from 8.1, and from a hardware PoV all is running smoothly. The only issue is I can't access any of my old user files or settings....
  10. Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10: How to: Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10 How to Fix 'You've been signed in with a temporary profile' Error in Windows 10 A user profile is a collection of settings that make the computer look and work the way you want it to for a user...