Windows 10: Zip files in Win 10

Discus and support Zip files in Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Does win 10 have it's own zip file extractor programme. For some reason I seem to have aquired 7-zip which i do not remember downloading (and which my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pjollop, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Pjollop Win User

Zip files in Win 10

Does win 10 have it's own zip file extractor programme.
    For some reason I seem to have aquired 7-zip which i do not remember downloading (and which my Kaspersky internet security 2018 doesn't like due to security problems)

So, am I safe to uninstall 7-zip knowing that there is an unzipper contained within Win 10 (latest version)
    Thanks

:)

Pjollop, Oct 31, 2017
  2. CESantos Win User

Windows Security Warning while trying to access an archived file

I was trying to expand a zip file that contained an .exe within Win 10. It wouldn't let me. Win 10 should give me the option.

I downloaded 7-Zip and expanded the zip file with it and ran the .exe with no problem. Problem solved with no thanks to Win 10!

- Charlie

CESantos, Oct 31, 2017
  3. Zipping files in Win 10.

Hello!

I am not able to zip files in Win 10. The instructions I have found seem easy, but it does not work when the option is not there.

What I do is highlight the folder I need to condense, send to, and then the only option that comes up is "Bluetooth". In all of the things I have read, there should be more options there.

Am I missing something in how my Win 10 is configured?

Thank you for your help.

KristinCrabtree, Oct 31, 2017
  4. robgr Win User

Zip files in Win 10

Win 10 does support zip files natively I believe
    However, 7-zip is a legitimate util and is often used in lieu of Winzip as it's free
    I use 7-zip and KTS without any issues
    What is KIS saying about 7-zip?

robgr, Oct 31, 2017
  5. Pjollop Win User
    This is flagged as "Critical"

A heap-based-overflow was found in 7-Zip before 16.00. By exploiting this vulnerability malicious users can execute arbitrary code. This vulnerability can be exploited remotely via a specially designed HFS+ image.
    Technical details
    Vulnerability occurs in method NArchive::NHfs::CHandler::ExtractZlibFile.

I'm running 16.04 so am up to date.

Pjollop, Oct 31, 2017
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Update your 7-zip to version 16.04. This was in version 16. Uninstall it, download new version (if needed) and install that

AndreTen, Oct 31, 2017
  7. Pjollop Win User
    Am currently running 16.04
    Kid 2018 vulnerability scan flagged this up

Pjollop, Oct 31, 2017
  8. AndreTen Win User

Zip files in Win 10

Could be some left overs of the older version. Uninstall it completely, I would suggest CCleaner or Revo - both free versions to clean all of it. Or check in Kaspersky, where and what version are problematic files.

AndreTen, Oct 31, 2017
  9. A lot of software contains its own 7-zip to unpack files, lookup the location of the outdated 7-zip.

By the way, the latest version is 17.01, do not mind the beta tag, it does not mean anything.

TairikuOkami, Oct 31, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    To answer @Pjollop's question...
    Yes - you don't need 7-Zip, Explorer can open or create .zip files itself.

In File Explorer, a .zip file is shown with a 'folder' icon with a zip added. You can click on it to open and explore it as if it was an ordinary folder. Files can be copied and pasted to another (normal) folder to extract them, or use the 'Extract all' button.

*Arrow Unzip Files from Zipped Folder in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

To make a .zip, select the file(s) and/or folder(s) you want to add, right-click on them and select 'Send to... > Compressed (zipped) folder'.

7-Zip can do so much more (such as password protection and many other compression formats) but for the basic Zip functions Windows has them built in.

11. Pjollop Win User
    Thank you. None of the cleaners would properly uninstall 7-zip and the files that KIS 2018 was complaining about. In the end had to uninstall then grub about in the c:\Programme files(x86) folder to find and delete all 7-zip folders and files. There is still an InstallSheild information file coming up in the vulnerability scan which I can't find anywhere (even after a c disk file search) but I'm guessing that on it's own it won't represent a risk. I will only be unzipping downloaded programme folders so don't see the need for greater functions and in this hazardous climate of computer misuse feel that if a programme can't behave I'm better off without it !
    Thank you for all your help. (will mark this solved in a day or so.)

Pjollop, Nov 1, 2017
  12. Gordon7 Win User
    "end had to uninstall then grub about in the c:\Programme files(x86) folder to find and delete all 7-zip folders and files."

You may now have some programs that will not work as they used to!

7-Zip is used by a lot of programs to compress and decompress files. This can't be done by Windows zip program!

If you have problems with the function of some of these programs, you may have to reinstall those.

Gordon7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Zip files in Win 10

1. Zip files in Win 10 - Similar Threads - Zip files

2. disinstallare un file Zip, e risulta Errore 0x800700E1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disinstallare un file Zip, e risulta Errore 0x800700E1: Cerco di disinstallare un file WinRAR ma non si disinstalla e risulta Errore 0x800700E1Cosa devo fare per rimuoverlo? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disinstallare-un-file-zip-e-risulta-errore/5c176e86-3ae3-491c-8fab-212f35b9beb1
  3. disinstallare un file Zip, e risulta Errore 0x800700E1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disinstallare un file Zip, e risulta Errore 0x800700E1: Cerco di disinstallare un file WinRAR ma non si disinstalla e risulta Errore 0x800700E1Cosa devo fare per rimuoverlo? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disinstallare-un-file-zip-e-risulta-errore/5c176e86-3ae3-491c-8fab-212f35b9beb1
  4. disinstallare un file Zip, e risulta Errore 0x800700E1

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can't open Zip files

Can't open Zip files: All of the sudden, I am not able to download and open a zip file. I had to install 7-Zip to get folders open. The zip file is coming from a secure server and never had any issues before. The zip file is part of a software program that shares projects that are built withing...
  6. Can't open Zip files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open Zip files: All of the sudden, I am not able to download and open a zip file. I had to install 7-Zip to get folders open. The zip file is coming from a secure server and never had any issues before. The zip file is part of a software program that shares projects that are built withing...
  7. Can't open Zip files

8. Can't Extract Zip Files

Can't Extract Zip Files: Hi, My .zip files can't be extracted. It seems like I can open the zip files and see what is in the folder but for some reason I can't open the documents or files.I've tried restarting the computer and it didn't help....
  9. How do i stop windows 11 from changing a zip file to a text file when downloading the zip

How do i stop windows 11 from changing a zip file to a text file when downloading the zip: When downloading zip files, Windows 11 is not saving them as a "compressed zipped folder" but instead saving them as a txt file. How do I resolve this?...
  10. How do i stop windows 11 from changing a zip file to a text file when downloading the zip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i stop windows 11 from changing a zip file to a text file when downloading the zip: When downloading zip files, Windows 11 is not saving them as a "compressed zipped folder" but instead saving them as a txt file. How do I resolve this?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nhfs-win32.zip and extract. in the folder find nhfs.exe.