Windows 10: ZIP files started opening excruciatingly slow from USB stick on Win10

Discus and support ZIP files started opening excruciatingly slow from USB stick on Win10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I got this Windows 10 laptop it was running like a breeze. Now all of a sudden about a month ago when I plug in my USB stick to transfer folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ahmd, Mar 23, 2018.

1. ahmd Win User

ZIP files started opening excruciatingly slow from USB stick on Win10

When I got this Windows 10 laptop it was running like a breeze. Now all of a sudden about a month ago when I plug in my USB stick to transfer folder contents in a ZIP archive, the whole thing grids to a halt. I take those files from a Windows 8.1 desktop and the thing flies there like a charm. No problems at all.

Again, this started happening just recently. Also note that other folders seem to work fast. It only happens when I transfer files in a ZIP archive to this Windows 10 machine on a USB stick.

So I'm wondering, how do I get the speed of my USB folder back?

PS. And while I'm at it, how do you disable updates? I know that people talk about viruses. I ain't got none for a long time. The only crap that gets me are updates.

:)

2. Windows 10 apps failing to open

Upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10, no problems with the upgrade.

Win10 won't 'see' Office 2007 .exe files (or Office365Pro for that matter), claims it can't find them.

Won't recognise .rar or .zip as archives. 7-zip fails.

.jpg files saved in Win10 won't open in Win7.

Folders with files saved on a memory stick in Win7 is displayed as 'empty' in Win10.

WIn10 removed the mail settings under Win8.1.

Troubleshooter didn't help.

Currently running the sfc/scannow. Verification will probably take longer than the current 175 minutes wait time for chat call ZIP files started opening excruciatingly slow from USB stick on Win10 :)

Is there any way to restore back to Win8.1 (never thought I'd write that ZIP files started opening excruciatingly slow from USB stick on Win10 :)

ErikNygaard, Mar 23, 2018
  3. vodafone uk update

Download this file:

http://download.plop.at/files/bootmngr/plpbt-5.0.10.zip

Extract it, inside you'll find two .iso files..

Try burning plpbt.iso onto a CD-R (or CDRW.. or DVDR, any cd shaped thing'll do!)

Now, restart your computer, plug in the USB stick then make it boot from CD

you'll get a funky boot menu with shooting stars (don't ask!) select USB and it should start booting from your USB stick

cpitchford, Mar 23, 2018
  4. ZIP files started opening excruciatingly slow from USB stick on Win10

IMO, the most effective way is to disable networking on your W10 PC and use another PC for the Internet. *Smile

If you don't like that approach, have a look at this thread:
    Stop Windows 10 Updates Properly and Completely

lehnerus2000, Mar 23, 2018
Thema:

ZIP files started opening excruciatingly slow from USB stick on Win10

1. ZIP files started opening excruciatingly slow from USB stick on Win10 - Similar Threads - ZIP files started

2. Problem deleting files from USB stick

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem deleting files from USB stick: Recently this process has slowed down or become impossible. Windows Explorer spends hours, even whole days, "deleting" files from a USB stick, slowing down other Explorer functions as a consequence...and then I may find that after all that wait, the selected files weren't...
  3. Problem deleting files from USB stick

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem deleting files from USB stick: Recently this process has slowed down or become impossible. Windows Explorer spends hours, even whole days, "deleting" files from a USB stick, slowing down other Explorer functions as a consequence...and then I may find that after all that wait, the selected files weren't...
  4. Problem deleting files from USB stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer started running excruciatingly slow all the sudden.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer started running excruciatingly slow all the sudden.: My computer all the sudden started working really slowly for even the smallest of tasks. literally anything I do now is excruciatingly slow. Opening chrome, opening file explorer, typing, even drawing the selection boxes on the desktop. The mouse moves smooth though still....
  6. Computer started running excruciatingly slow all the sudden.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer started running excruciatingly slow all the sudden.: My computer all the sudden started working really slowly for even the smallest of tasks. literally anything I do now is excruciatingly slow. Opening chrome, opening file explorer, typing, even drawing the selection boxes on the desktop. The mouse moves smooth though still....
  7. opening a zip file

opening a zip file: Hello I am trying to open a zip file; when i extract all and go to the file it says file is empty. so i tried internet explorer because i used that before and it says file has a virus. but i know for a fact the file is safe. how can i get my file to open so i can safe it. it...
  8. Slow Extraction of .zip File

Slow Extraction of .zip File: Why is Windows 10 so slow in extracting a standard .zip file? It takes forever to unpack a simple ,zip file and seems to be much longer than previous versions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-extraction-of-zip-file/eb0d110b-b040-4e14-aa12-ad2d53622174"
  9. Extracting files from zipped folder is very slow

Extracting files from zipped folder is very slow: I have a zipped folder of size 280 MB, this folder contains json files and the total size of the folder is around 500-600 MB. While extracting the files from the zipped folder, the speed is only 5-6 KBps and shows that it'll take more than 8 hours. Please let me know how do I...
  10. Zips files will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    Zips files will not open: I recently upgraded to Windows10 on my desktop Dell. Last week I attempted to unzip some files & open .tif files that had been saved when I was still running Windows 8.1. Previous to the upgraded I never had a issue unzipping these files and they are always from the same...