Windows 10: Zoom settings behave weirdly on Windows 10 default photo viewer.

Discus and support Zoom settings behave weirdly on Windows 10 default photo viewer. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The photo viewing program in Windows 10 automatically slightly resizes the photo it's displaying according to the window size. And by slightly, I mean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by You, Jul 31, 2015.

1. YOU
    You Win User

Zoom settings behave weirdly on Windows 10 default photo viewer.

The photo viewing program in Windows 10 automatically slightly resizes the photo it's displaying according to the window size. And by slightly, I mean slightly. This doesn't matter with things like a photo of r house or family, but it makes a difference with screenshots. What I'm wondering is why it resizes at all. It resizes the photo even if the window is bigger than the photo's actual size. Look @ photo below for reference.

:)

2. Photos app often displays sharp images as somewhat blurry (includes example)

This is pretty clearly an image zoom interpolation issue. Perhaps Microsoft can provide a "nearest neighbor"-like interpolation like they did in Windows Photo Viewer. It is much more prevalent on images with sharp geometry. I work with pixel art and game
    development and this issue was the first thing that I noticed on Windows 10 back in 2015.

The following images are different views of the same screenshot of the pixel art game
    Hyper Light Drifter. Specifically, please look at the character, the icons, and text. The first image is a screencap within the default Photos program and it looks crisp because there is no zoom - it is a 956 x 536 image on a 2560 x 1440 screen. The
    second image is the same screenshot in Photos but zoomed in. The third image is the same screenshot, zoomed in, but in Windows Photo Viewer.

(Not uploaded directly into this post because Microsoft compresses the images.)

http://i.cubeupload.com/4TfUHb.png

Photos, unzoomed, 956 x 536 on a 2560 x 1440 screen

The image is crisp. The pixel art is sharp.

http://i.cubeupload.com/kvGW6G.png

Photos, zoomed all the way

The image is blurry. It is especially evident around the character and the icons and text.

http://i.cubeupload.com/A1SNx4.png

Windows Photo Viewer, zoomed most of the way

The image is crisp.

A few other comparisons:

http://i.cubeupload.com/gijzJg.png (Photos, unzoomed, 512 x 512 on a 2560 x 1440 screen)

http://i.cubeupload.com/zd2vjt.png (Photos, zoomed)

http://i.cubeupload.com/pUZ5lm.png (Photo Viewer, zoomed)

This is a big problem for the Windows platform. The fact that the DEFAULT picture viewer in Windows, Photos, behaves this way means that anytime a user is viewing images on a Windows computer directly from a file, the photo is blurry and otherwise not optimally
    displayed. I was able to bring back the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer via a registry edit, but the vast majority of users will not and will be stuck with this issue. Imagine being a photographer or artist and browsing through images on a Windows computer.
    Microsoft, this is a major issue that is taking way too long to resolve.

AssembledVS, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Picture viewer [Fixed]

I have a problem that whenever I open any still photo, JPG PNG, TIF etc etc with the standard windows 10 picture viewer it just keeps zooming in until it get to its maxed out size. But even then it just keeps trying to magnify the image even further. It
    kind of bounces back & forth.

If I click on edit the zooming stops and the photo reverts back to normal size without it trying to zoom.

But soon as ever I close edit it starts zooming in again & it will continue to go on doing it indefinitely.

Then I tried the old photo viewer (that was the standard viewer in win 7) to open these image files & there is no problems at all. If you look in program defaults the old windows 7 photo viewer is still there thankfully.

The other problem is that while in win 10 picture viewer when I click on slideshow every photo on the PC flashes past at super speed (about 10 images per second) it is almost a blur.

LanceDickchops, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

Zoom settings behave weirdly on Windows 10 default photo viewer.

1. Zoom settings behave weirdly on Windows 10 default photo viewer. - Similar Threads - Zoom settings behave

2. Windows photos app suddenly not zooming to fit by default and no setting to make it default...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows photos app suddenly not zooming to fit by default and no setting to make it default...: I am using windows default photo viewer and for the longest time when I opened a photo it would be zoomed to fit. Now all of a sudden any photo I open is zoomed to fit for a fraction of a second before it jarringly zooms it to "actual size". There is no setting to change this...
  3. Windows photos app suddenly not zooming to fit by default and no setting to make it default...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows photos app suddenly not zooming to fit by default and no setting to make it default...: I am using windows default photo viewer and for the longest time when I opened a photo it would be zoomed to fit. Now all of a sudden any photo I open is zoomed to fit for a fraction of a second before it jarringly zooms it to "actual size". There is no setting to change this...
  4. Can't set Imageglass as default photo viewer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set Imageglass as default photo viewer: I am trying to set Imageglass as my default photo viewer. When I go to the default app section and select photo imageglass doesn't come up as an option. Is there any other way to set a default image viewer?...
  5. Windows is behaving weird

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows is behaving weird: So I have encountered a strange problem in my windows 10 pc. When I turn on my pc, I am unable to type numbers either through the numeric keypad or the numbers at the top. When I press the number keys on topwithout pressing shift key it types symbols and not numbers....
  6. how to set Windows Photo Viewer as my default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to set Windows Photo Viewer as my default: How can I set Windows Photo Viewer as my default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-windows-photo-viewer-as-my-default/4aaf2fed-d399-4a0f-8d22-afb25d15ee5c
  7. Windows 10 Default Image / Photo Viewer.

Windows 10 Default Image / Photo Viewer.: Hello world, I'm having some issues with the default windows 10 photo / image viewer. When I open a image, the application loads said image but adds a certain yellow-ish tint to it aswell as some kind of resolution downgrade. It's weird because the instant I open the image,...
  8. Windows Photo Viewer not able to set as default

Windows Photo Viewer not able to set as default: So I've added the registry key to activate back " Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open]...
  9. Photo Viewer with Pan and Zoom

Photo Viewer with Pan and Zoom: Is anyone familiar with photo viewer software that has pan and zoom feature? The feature was available with Vista photo viewer, gone with 7. I would like to have software with pan and zoom when using 10. 8827
  10. Unable to set Photoscape as Default Photo Viewer

Unable to set Photoscape as Default Photo Viewer: Photoscape is an app that is functioning normally. I want to make it my Default Photo Viewer. When I go to Settings/Default Apps it is not on the list On one attempt to set, it stated that Photoscape was "unavailable" (not sure where that occurred) I have tried a number...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows jpg png pixelated zoom in