Windows 10: 0 Byte Files That Look Like .lnk Files But They Actually Open

Discus and support 0 Byte Files That Look Like .lnk Files But They Actually Open in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am cleaning out my files on a 10TB hard drive. I did a Size search for 0 byte jpg files and most are as you would expect, corrupted JPGs. Some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LugerGlockenstein, Oct 30, 2020.

1. 0 Byte Files That Look Like .lnk Files But They Actually Open

I am cleaning out my files on a 10TB hard drive. I did a Size search for 0 byte jpg files and most are as you would expect, corrupted JPGs. Some however are "shortcuts" to actual jpgs. Strangely they have the shortcut arrow but also the file extension of .jpg and if I open them it will open the image file.

Unfortunately, I tested a couple and if I delete the shortcut, the jpg that is linked to it gets deleted as well. Some are family photos.

What is going on here and how can I save the jpgs and get rid of these "shortcut" jpgs that are supposedly 0 bytes? I included some photos. I expect these came about when I used a file recovery tool on a dying hard drive.

I found video files as well with shortcuts acting the same way.

Lesson learned, I am getting everything backed up and I have purchased a backup service as well.

0 Byte Files That Look Like .lnk Files But They Actually Open e51453f8-c5b4-4ae9-803c-3bc27de5fda9?upload=true.png 0 Byte Files That Look Like .lnk Files But They Actually Open 7259cb3d-b273-420d-953f-a476245850db?upload=true.png

:)

LugerGlockenstein, Oct 30, 2020

2. Windows 10 WMDC .lnk files

• Just to confirm, are you having issues copying shortcuts (.lnk files) to any devices?
      Yes
    • Have you made any changes prior to the issue? No, Except what is described in this trade
    • Are you receiving any error messages? It seems like there is some messages there are suppressed, there is appearing some sounds, like error sounds but no message displayed.
    • Is the issue the same when copying a different file? nope, only on the .lnk files
    • What are the steps that you've done so far to troubleshoot the issue?
      What is described in my previous comments

When it was working before the specified Windows 10 updates, it would sometimes prompt if want to do or accept something ... But unfortunately I can't remember what is was, i think it was something about if you want to do is for this files types
      and again if you want to do it for all the following files as well.

j.o.mortensen, Oct 30, 2020
  3. Windows 10 WMDC .lnk files

Hi Jom,

We suggest performing the steps provided above for us to troubleshoot your issue with copying .lnk files to any devices.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Lov Dollente, Oct 30, 2020
  4. Ketxxx Win User

0 Byte Files That Look Like .lnk Files But They Actually Open

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

0 Byte Files That Look Like .lnk Files But They Actually Open

1. 0 Byte Files That Look Like .lnk Files But They Actually Open - Similar Threads - Byte Files lnk

2. Can't delete 0 byte .exe file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete 0 byte .exe file: Hello folk, so last night I was downloading things and downloaded this .exe which was worth 0 bytes, I put it through virus total and nothing came up so I ran it. Nothing happened or so I thought so I tried to delete it, when I tried to delete it I was met with a window...
  3. cannot attach file 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot attach file 0 bytes: i cannot attached files in my easy mail account, they say 0 bytes & cannot download, but when using my gmail it works ok, im using windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-attach-file-0-bytes/2062f401-2774-4fe9-b2d9-c92282d1dd18
  4. cannot attach file 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot attach file 0 bytes: i cannot attached files in my easy mail account, they say 0 bytes & cannot download, but when using my gmail it works ok, im using windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-attach-file-0-bytes/2062f401-2774-4fe9-b2d9-c92282d1dd18
  5. cannot attach file 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Deleting empty directories and 0 byte files

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting empty directories and 0 byte files: Is it save and should I delete empty directories and 0 byte files just to clean things up? If it is a good idea is there a tool to find them? 179888
  7. 0 bytes Files, Drive failure

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    0 bytes Files, Drive failure: Hi, I have recently met a problem with my Data Drive. Alot of my Files have been appearing as 0kb and unusable, many of them video files that I remember watching just fine a few months ago (2-3 months). Some game files have also been turning 0kb, making some of my Steam...
  8. How to Delete 0 Byte Files

How to Delete 0 Byte Files: Hello, Searching this forum for a means to delete 0 byte video files I came across a solution by BD45960 who suggests: Run CMD (aka Command Prompt) Use: del (File Location)\File Name* example: File Name: Ledgers CPB (1) <---note the space at end of file name (*...
  9. .lnk files

.lnk files: The OneDrive Support team have told me to delete the following .lnk files as they are preventing a full sync. But they've also expressed caution:"Some applications may depend on these links to function properly. Remove only the links that you know are safe to modify"....
  10. Strange 0 byte files

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange 0 byte files: I'm curious what these files are that are on some of my internal HD's partitions. The file name is a random (apparently) string of characters, 'type of file: file', 'size: 0 bytes', 'owner: system'. What are these? Do I need them? 52090