Windows 10: 0X8004230F -Windows 10 Creating a Backup Image Failing on Volume Shadow Copy Error

Discus and support 0X8004230F -Windows 10 Creating a Backup Image Failing on Volume Shadow Copy Error in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am trying to backup my Win 10 machine after having it crash 3 days ago. I want a clean install image backup so in future I will not have to reinstall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Raymond Clements, Dec 20, 2020.

1. 0X8004230F -Windows 10 Creating a Backup Image Failing on Volume Shadow Copy Error

I am trying to backup my Win 10 machine after having it crash 3 days ago. I want a clean install image backup so in future I will not have to reinstall and everything all the time.

So I am using the Windows & Backup tool and I am getting the Volume Shadow Copy Error that has happened in the past based on my research.

I am using the latest Windows 10 install 20H2

I have a 64 bit architecture and 16GB RAM system. A Samsung EVO 500GB SSD as my primary disk.

I am backing up to an external SSD drive connected via USB which is 1TB in size and has lots of space.

The backup image was estimated at about 58GB. It does crash near the end.

I have made sure that the 2 Volume copy services are running as per an article.

Microsoft Shadow Copy Provider and

Volume Shadow Copy services are started. However after the backup has failed I see they are both not running.

What can anyone suggest? I have tried 3 times without success.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name DESKTOP-POI1ECM

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model To be filled by O.E.M.

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.

Processor AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeontm HD Graphics, 3900 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F1, 24/03/2014

SMBIOS Version 2.7

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

BaseBoard Product F2A58M-HD2

BaseBoard Version 3.1

Platform Role Desktop

Secure Boot State Off

PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.488"

Username DESKTOP-POI1ECM\mount

Time Zone GMT Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory RAM 16.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 12.2 GB

Total Virtual Memory 18.8 GB

Available Virtual Memory 12.7 GB

Page File Space 2.88 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Kernel DMA Protection Off

Virtualisation-based security Not enabled

Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/devices detected, TPM is not usable

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Kind Regards

Raymond Clements

:)

Raymond Clements, Dec 20, 2020
  2. ameneses Win User

Imaging Error "Shadow copy"

I'm using Macrium Reflect and when I try to create an image I get the following error:

Backup aborted! - Failed To Create Volume Snapshot Failed - 0x8004230f

After extensively researching I see that he error refers to Microsoft Shadow copy, and as such Macrium told me to ask for your help. I've gone online hours trying to apply multiple approaches but nothing helps.

Please advise urgently.

Here is the whole error:

-boi 111 ly in myc jglui uaj . r-^ji 11 i i. lu IJ.Vi .*#

Initializing

Write Method: Using RIe System Cache

Destination Drive: BACKUP IMAGES (F:| - Free Space 486.26 GB

Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 5.00 GB

Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait

Failed: Failed - 0x8004230f - Retrying without VSS Writers

ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->AddToSnapshotSet((LPWSTR)volume.c_strO. GUID.NULL. SSnapshotlD)" failed

- Returned HRESULT = 0x8004230f

- Errortext: VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR

ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->BackupComplete(&pAsync)" failed.

- Returned HRESULT = 0x80042301

- Errortext: VSS_E_BAD_STATE

ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->AddToSnapshotSet((LPWSTR)volume.c_strO. GUID.NULL. SSnapshotlD)" failed

- Returned HRESULT = 0x8004230f

- Errortext: VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR

Gathering Windows Events - Please Wait

Backup aborted! - Failed To Create Volume Snapshot Failed - 0x8004230*

ameneses, Dec 20, 2020
  3. System image backup failed

System image backup failed

FIRST ATTEMPT

The backup failed

The operation timed-out before the shadow copy was created on the storage location (0x80780036)

Additional Information:

The shadow copy provider timed out \while flushing data to the volume being shadow copied. This

is probably due to excessive activity on the volume. Try again later when the volume is not being used so heavily.
    (0x80042313)

SECOND ATTEMPT

The backup failed.

Windows backup failed to create the shared protection point on the source volumes. (0x8078006B)

Additional information:

The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation.

(0x8004230F)

THIRD ATTEMPT 24/AUG/2019

The backup failed.

Windows backup failed to create the shared protection point on the source volumes. (0x8078006B)

Additional information:

The shadow copy provider had error. Check the System and Application event log for more information.

(0x80042306)

FIX

Turn off Ransomware protection. Windows Security/Virus & threat protection/Ransomware protection

LouisLaPorta, Dec 20, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

0X8004230F -Windows 10 Creating a Backup Image Failing on Volume Shadow Copy Error

Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error

Hi, you might try this:
    Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Troubleshooting - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Troubleshooting

or the free cautious repair tool
    Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro
    - observing the steps and using only the relevant repairs

More:
    How to Fix VSS Errors Step-by-Step

Otherwise I suggest- assuming your disk and file system are sound-
    an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all progs, data and most settings

You need an iso of the same base language and build- freely downloadable.

dalchina, Dec 20, 2020
Thema:

0X8004230F -Windows 10 Creating a Backup Image Failing on Volume Shadow Copy Error

1. 0X8004230F -Windows 10 Creating a Backup Image Failing on Volume Shadow Copy Error - Similar Threads - 0X8004230F Creating Backup

2. Volume shadow copy error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume shadow copy error: Event viewer error.Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSidS-1-5-21-442981339-3756801702-44240739-1001.bak hr=0x80070359.The security structure is invalid.Any clues, please?...
  3. Error 0x80780113, Not enough space to create the volume shadow copy, The backup failed

in Windows 10 News
    Error 0x80780113, Not enough space to create the volume shadow copy, The backup failed: [ATTACH]Here is a full guide on how you can fix the error 0x80780113 when the backup has failed on Windows 11/10. Windows offers a built-in Backup and Restore tool which is primarily used for creating a full system image backup so that you can restore the system to its...
  4. Can't Image my C: Drive. "Backup aborted failed to create volume snapshot failed 0x8004230f"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Image my C: Drive. "Backup aborted failed to create volume snapshot failed 0x8004230f": I already did all the support stuff from this thread https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/VSS+Error+0x8000ffff+Backup+aborted%21+-+Failed+To+Create+Volume+Snapshot yet it still doesn't work. Anyone had this issue before in Macrium Reflect (Free) and know how to fix...
  5. 0x80780034 and 0X8004230F -Windows 10 Creating a Backup Image Failing on Volume Shadow Copy...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    0x80780034 and 0X8004230F -Windows 10 Creating a Backup Image Failing on Volume Shadow Copy...: I am trying to backup my Win 10 machine after having it crash 3 days ago. I want a clean install image backup so in future I will not have to reinstall and everything all the time. So I am using the Windows & Backup tool and I am getting the Volume Shadow Copy Error that...
  6. windows 10 pro backup fail: Not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on the...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 pro backup fail: Not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on the...: HI, Wow there are a lot of troubleshooting steps for this issue and I believe I have tried them all. I really need help with this. Below is the error message and a snapshot of my disk manager. I am trying to back up and create an image to an external hard drive. Please...
  7. Windows Backup – shadow copy fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup – shadow copy fails: Shadow copy fails with no useful info. [ATTACH] <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" Guid="{1db28f2e-8f80-4027-8c5a-a11f7f10f62d}" /> <EventID>517</EventID>...
  8. Windows security for volume shadow copy (backups?)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows security for volume shadow copy (backups?): Microsoft: Can you fix Windows Security to stop re-detecting the same apps over and over again that I've already allowed/approved? Example: file: \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy7\Utilities\ncat\ncat.exe They seem to be triggered from the built-in backups app that I have...
  9. The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error (0x8004230F)

in Windows 10 News
    The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error (0x8004230F): [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Before making any changes to our PC, many of us first create a system restore point. This practice ensures that the system files and settings return to an earlier point in time without affecting personal files, should something go wrong. [...] This post The...
  10. Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error: Hi, So I upgraded my SSD from 250GB to 1TB, I used Clonezilla to clone my disk and I deleted all the extra partitions it had copied over. I assume this is where the restore or backup files were. Windows booted fine and I tried to do a backup with Paragon which failed. I...