Windows 10: 0x80070057 error at the end of system image restore

Discus and support 0x80070057 error at the end of system image restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; A couple of days ago I made a system image backup (there were no error messages that it was unsuccessful), now I need to restore it, I boot Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rutra80, Sep 18, 2015.

1. rutra80 Win User

0x80070057 error at the end of system image restore

A couple of days ago I made a system image backup (there were no error messages that it was unsuccessful), now I need to restore it, I boot Windows 10 DVD, point to a network location and start the restore, but after an hour or so, at the end it errors with "0x80070057: Parameter is incorrect". After that Windows boots to diagnostic mode but fails to repair anything. Diskpart shows that the partition which used to be C is RAW, I also have an impression that the order of partitions is different (C was 3rd, after restore it seems to be 1st).
    I checked and I'm able to mount VHDX with C partition and access all files, chkdsk doesn't find any errors on it.
    It's a UEFI computer with GPT installation.
    Is there some way to restore it with some 3rd party tool, or manually? What can I do?

PS: there's a lot of clues on the internet about fixing similar problem when such error popups at the beginning of restore from a USB thumb drive. The solution is to unplug the thumb before starting so the restore doesn't get confused with the additional drive. It's not the case here, I'm not using USB thumb and I get the error at the end of restore.

Update: I managed to restore an older backup of Windows 8.1 from before upgrade to Windows 10. I used Windows 8.1 DVD for the restore.

The difference between an old image and the new one is that after upgrade to Windows 10 I removed an optical drive and replaced it with a SSD which I was using for page file and ReadyBoost. Also, Windows 8.1 had 3 partitions, while after upgrade to Windows 10 I noticed that there's some additional 4th partition (so there were 2 restore or EFI partitions, not sure which), but the backup image of Windows 10 still consists of 3 VHDX files. The image of Windows 10 isn't an image made from a scratch - when I was setting up the backup I simply pointed to the old 8.1 image and Windows 10 was making its images on top of the old one (I wanted it to backup the differences only, to avoid huge transfer of the whole drive).

Anyway, as I already stated I'm sure that VHDX of Windows 10 isn't corrupted. It's probably some problem with XML metadata so the restore procedure can't recreate proper partition layout corresponding with images, or something. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

rutra80, Sep 18, 2015

2. Failure at the very end of System Image Restore: the parameter is incorrect 0x80070057

Thank you Frederik.

Instead of paid software I used free version of Macrium Backup.

1. Convert vhdx file to Macrium format(map vhdx as virtual disk in Win Disk Manager and just create backup via Macrium)

2. follow this steps How to Restore an MBR System image to UEFI/GPT (Convert, GPT, MBR, Restore)

Now, my old win is up and runnig.

What else to say other than that Windows Recovery sucks and if you need help from MS support they want to charge you for their mistakes!

MilanVajgl, Sep 18, 2015
  3. Failure at the very end of System Image Restore: the parameter is incorrect 0x80070057

I have checked several threads regarding this problem, but none of them helped.
    I had to send may laptop to warranty repair. Prior to that I had done system image backup via Windows Backup and Restore tool.
    After my laptop was repaired(mother board was changed) both disks were wiped out.
    I have one SSD for system and second HDD for data. I am running Windows 10 64bit.
    I copied my system image to HDD.
    I booted from usb and chose system recovery from HDD. Selected format
    SSD.
    All looked good so far, but at the very end I received error message: the
    parameter is incorrect 0x80070057
    I have tried recommended tricks with removing usb before restoring, but it did not worked.
    Any idea?
    Is there any third party tool to convert win10 system image and copy it into
    SSD?
    I would like to mention that I tried to do system image backup/restore of fresh system and it works fine.
    Thank you for any help

MilanVajgl, Sep 18, 2015
  4. 0x80070057 error at the end of system image restore

Hi, I have exactly the same issue....can you tell me how you solved it?

scatterbrain, Dec 21, 2015
  5. rutra80 Win User
Thema:

0x80070057 error at the end of system image restore

1. 0x80070057 error at the end of system image restore - Similar Threads - 0x80070057 error end

2. System Image Restore Error 0x80070057

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image Restore Error 0x80070057: I have run into this error 0x80070057 while trying to recover my hard drive after a different blue screen error. The message is that the "parameter is incorrect" paraphrasing as I don't have it in front of me, but the hex error code above is correct.Is there any way to get...
  3. System Image Restore Error 0x80070057

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Image Restore Error 0x80070057: I have run into this error 0x80070057 while trying to recover my hard drive after a different blue screen error. The message is that the "parameter is incorrect" paraphrasing as I don't have it in front of me, but the hex error code above is correct.Is there any way to get...
  4. System Image Restore Error 0x80070057

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System Image Restore Error

System Image Restore Error: Hello, I have recently purchased a new PC and intended to restore a system image created on my previous PC on the new one. I created recovery media using Windows 10 and ran into an error when restoring from the system image on my external HDD. The error: "system image...
  6. HELP!! Win10 System Disk Image Restoration Fail (0x80070057)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    HELP!! Win10 System Disk Image Restoration Fail (0x80070057): Hi, everyone! It's been forever since I've been here, so please forgive my evidently-first-post call-for-help. I was in the process of migrating my system from a 500GB SSD to a 1TB SSD, and through that simply using the Windows in-built Disk Image Backup utility that was...
  7. System Image Restore Failed 0x80070057

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Restore Failed 0x80070057: Hi guys, I have 2 SSDs in RAID 0 with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installed. I tried to make a system image using the windows backup utility, then disable the RAID array, reformat, and restore to one of the SSDs. At this point I realized I needed to shrink the partition first. I...
  8. Error code: 0x80070057 while doing system image restore

Error code: 0x80070057 while doing system image restore: 1. A system Win10 1809 Pro image restore has been done successfully 10 days ago using the boot CD (all in BIOS Mode). It covers 3 partitions: Recovery C, D. On E (as C..E on one SSD 1 Tera disk) not included are the hot the USER DATA and should be never overwritten!!! The...
  9. System Image Restoration Failure in Windows 10 "parameter is incorrect 0x80070057"

System Image Restoration Failure in Windows 10 "parameter is incorrect 0x80070057": I needed to restore my system from the system image I have taken a couple of days ago. The image creation was successful but when I tried to restore from the System Image the process go through and right at the very end I get the following error message "the parameter is...
  10. System Restore Point errors: 0x8007045b and 0x80070057

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Restore Point errors: 0x8007045b and 0x80070057: Hi, I am very tired, afraid and angry. Today I was surfing with Edge and I encouter a web page with a loopy popup that want to make me win an Apple iPhone. Trying to closing that pop-op it will reopen again and my Edge starts with the opened tab so that pop-up will...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0x80070057 error image restore windows 10

2. 0x80070057 windows image restore

3. create a system image error 0x80070057

4. 0x80070057 error on image restor,
  5. 0x80070057 error at the end of system image restore