Windows 10: 0xc000000e ERROR after upgrading and mirroring hard drive after free upgrade from windows 7...

Discus and support 0xc000000e ERROR after upgrading and mirroring hard drive after free upgrade from windows 7... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Trying to upgrade hard drive on an 8 year old system with no other changes. Bought a Samsung 870EVO SSD that said it was backwards compatible. Ran the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SMortIO, Jun 2, 2021.

1. SMortIO Win User

0xc000000e ERROR after upgrading and mirroring hard drive after free upgrade from windows 7...

Trying to upgrade hard drive on an 8 year old system with no other changes. Bought a Samsung 870EVO SSD that said it was backwards compatible. Ran the Samsung mirroring software on the system, removed and installed the Samsung drive. Won't boot, gives the error message 0xc000000e and says to run repair.

:)

SMortIO, Jun 2, 2021

2. changed hard drive windows 7 oem to 10 upgrade?

Hi,

The hard drive in my desktop recently died. I had to get a new hard drive and can't mirror it. I have a windows 7 oem license that was previously upgraded free to 10.

Can I still use the free upgrade with just a hard drive swap? Nothing else on the system will be changed, just the hard drive.

If it can, do I need to do a windows 7 install and upgrade it from there, or just install windows 10 and use the 7 key?

I have searched and can't find a definitive answer.

Morgan Wireman, Jun 2, 2021
  3. luke t Win User
    Windows 7 upgrade to 10 error 0x8007001F - 0x3000D

Before I give a final update on this case, I want to thank everybody who gave suggestions. It's kind of hard to believe that a forum that gives free, tailored, well-informed advice to strangers exists on the internet. Thank you all very, very much.

Here are the steps that I took on my successful upgrade attempt. I don't know which of these steps is necessary or sufficient to complete the upgrade, but in case they prove useful to anyone else:

1. I edited the registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ProfilesDirectory. It was set to a directory on my E: drive (Windows 7 was installed on my C: drive). I set it to "C:\Users".
    2. I created a new user with administrator permissions. That user's User directory appeared on my C: drive.
    3. I logged out of all accounts other than the new one, and attempted the upgrade. All hard drives, including the E: drive, remained connected.
    4. I unplugged my network cable after the Windows 10 download to skip the 'looking for upgrades' phase.
    5. (I did not delete windows.old or windows~BT before attempting this.)

If it would be useful for anyone to see any files from my successful upgrade, I'll be happy to share them--just let me know.

luke t, Jun 2, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

0xc000000e ERROR after upgrading and mirroring hard drive after free upgrade from windows 7...

Upgrade Windows 7 to 10 Error 0x8007001f

0xc000000e ERROR after upgrading and mirroring hard drive after free upgrade from windows 7... [​IMG]

The partition layout of disk 0 (shown as disk 1 in Partition Manager) is non standard and was customized by the manufacturer. A normal Win 7 installation will have a layout:
    1. 100MB System Reserved, NTFS format and marked as Active
    2. C drive.
    A normal Windows 10 installation will have:
    1. 550MB Reserved partition, NTFS format and marked as Active
    2. C drive.
    Since you know how to use Minitool Partition Manager. Suggest to use it:
    1. Create a bootable installation USB from the Windows ISO using: Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
    2. Delete the 1st 2 partitions (102MB, 15GB) then create a 550MB partition, format as NTFS, label "System Reserved", assign a letter R, mark as Active
    3. Move C drive next to the newly created 550MB. should look like the screen shot below, note H: drive should be C: in your case:

0xc000000e ERROR after upgrading and mirroring hard drive after free upgrade from windows 7... [​IMG]
    4. Boot up the USB created in step 1, on the first screen, press SHIFT+F10 to open the Admin command prompt then type:
      bcdboot C:\Windows /s R: /f BIOS =====> This will create the BCD to boot Windows and store in R: (550MB partition)
    5. Reboot the PC then try to upgrade again
    NOTE: It is advisable to create a backup image of the whole disk 0, just in case anything goes wrong then you can restore back before making any modification.
    To create a backup image Use:
    Macrium Reflect Free Edition x64
    Macrium Reflect Free Edition x86

topgundcp, Jun 2, 2021
Thema:

1. 0xc000000e ERROR after upgrading and mirroring hard drive after free upgrade from windows 7... - Similar Threads - 0xc000000e ERROR upgrading

2. free upgrade from windows 7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    free upgrade from windows 7?: I'm hoping to upgrade my desktop from windows 7 to a more current supported version of windows; hopefully for free. Does anyone have any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-upgrade-from-windows-7/38366330-9fe7-4f3f-ba35-e0ed514290d3
  3. free upgrade from windows 7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    free upgrade from windows 7?: I'm hoping to upgrade my desktop from windows 7 to a more current supported version of windows; hopefully for free. Does anyone have any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-upgrade-from-windows-7/38366330-9fe7-4f3f-ba35-e0ed514290d3
  4. Windows 7 Copy Not Recognized As Valid After Hard Drive Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Copy Not Recognized As Valid After Hard Drive Upgrade: I have an OEM copy of Windows 7. I had installed it on my computer some time ago, but the old hard drive was beginning to fail, so I purchased an SSD and reinstalled it on that. But whenever I try to activate the copy with the automatic phone service it doesn't recognize my...
  5. Windows 7 Copy Not Recognized As Valid After Hard Drive Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 Copy Not Recognized As Valid After Hard Drive Upgrade: I have an OEM copy of Windows 7. I had installed it on my computer some time ago, but the old hard drive was beginning to fail, so I purchased an SSD and reinstalled it on that. But whenever I try to activate the copy with the automatic phone service it doesn't recognize my...
  6. ACTIVATING WINDOWS 10 AFTER FREE UPGRADING FROM WINDOWS 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    ACTIVATING WINDOWS 10 AFTER FREE UPGRADING FROM WINDOWS 7: CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY I CANT USE MY PRODUCT KEY FROM WINDOW 7 ULTIMATE TO ACTIVATE WINDOWS 10 PRO FREE UPGRADE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activating-windows-10-after-free-upgrading-from/282f861b-a36d-44c6-9b73-f0e32f2e5453"
  7. Recovery 0xc000000e error after upgrading to ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery 0xc000000e error after upgrading to ssd: I don’t have much knowledge on computer but I’ve decided upgrade the drive to ssd by myself. So I use a partition wizard to migrate the os from hdd to the ssd with an enclosure. After I’ve replaced the drive, the screen showed up ‘Recovery....’ ‘error code 0xc000000e’....
  8. Error code: 0xc000000e, unable to boot Windows after cloning hard drive

Error code: 0xc000000e, unable to boot Windows after cloning hard drive: I have cloned the 2014 hdd from an ASUS laptop to the ssd using free aomei cloning software. I then installed the ssd into a 2017 Lenovo laptop. Windows will not run and I receive a blue recovery screen with error message "Error code: 0xc000000e". This hard drive is dual...
  9. Boot drive changed after upgrading from windows 7

Boot drive changed after upgrading from windows 7: I updated my daughter's Toshiba Satellite c655-s5125 Windows 7 computer to Windows 10. Now it won't boot. I am able to get to a Command prompt though. [img] [img] From what I've been able to tell it wants to boot to an X drive, but I ran diskpart , here's a pic attached. I...
  10. BSOD PFN_List_Corrupt error shortly after free upgrade from Win 7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD PFN_List_Corrupt error shortly after free upgrade from Win 7: Hi, I have partially solved this issue and I am still working it. I get a BSOD PFN_List_Corrupt error about 3-5 minutes into working. I used MSConfig to go into safe mode and disabled all. No more BSOD. Off safe mode with normal startup and disabled all start up programs. No...