Windows 10: 1 Y.O. Laptop - suspected hard drive failure - help needed

Discus and support 1 Y.O. Laptop - suspected hard drive failure - help needed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi folks, Hope someone can help with this. My wife's 1 year-old Lenovo Legion Y530 laptop wouldn't boot today but came up with the error message:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ArthurDent, Feb 7, 2020.

1. 1 Y.O. Laptop - suspected hard drive failure - help needed

Hi folks,

Hope someone can help with this.

My wife's 1 year-old Lenovo Legion Y530 laptop wouldn't boot today but came up with the error message: "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failure. Insert Recovery Media and hit any key. Then select 'Boot Manager' and choose a new boot device or to boot recovery media"

So, I'm guessing that the hard drive (a Seagate Barracuda Pro ST1000M049) has failed.

Are there any tools that I can load onto a bootable USB stick, pop this in the laptop and boot from in order to check that it is, in fact, the hard disk that has failed?

If it is simply a software issue (like Win 7's NTLDR missing) and is easy to fix, I'd appreciate full (i.e. assume basic knowledge) instructions on how to fix it.

BTW, the laptop doesn't have an optical drive bay, so a bootable CD/DVD isn't an option.

I just want to see if we can get any documents, etc off the hard drive before it goes in for repair (thank goodness for JL's 2-year guarantee).

My wife regularly backs up photos to an external drive but I'm thinking that there may be some banking/financial stuff on there.

Cheers,

Art

Sorry - can't give you any Win 10 version info as it isn't/wasn't my machine.

:)

ArthurDent, Feb 7, 2020
  2. Porthos Win User

1 Y.O. Laptop - suspected hard drive failure - help needed

1 Y.O. Laptop - suspected hard drive failure - help needed [​IMG]

Porthos, Feb 26, 2020
  3. thomaseg1 Win User
    thomaseg1, Feb 26, 2020
  4. 1 Y.O. Laptop - suspected hard drive failure - help needed

Hi folks,

Hope someone can help with this.

My wife's 1 year-old Lenovo Legion Y530 laptop wouldn't boot today but came up with the error message: "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failure. Insert Recovery Media and hit any key. Then select 'Boot Manager' and choose a new boot device or to boot recovery media"

So, I'm guessing that the hard drive (a Seagate Barracuda Pro ST1000M049) has failed.

Are there any tools that I can load onto a bootable USB stick, pop this in the laptop and boot from in order to check that it is, in fact, the hard disk that has failed?

If it is simply a software issue (like Win 7's NTLDR missing) and is easy to fix, I'd appreciate full (i.e. assume basic knowledge) instructions on how to fix it.

BTW, the laptop doesn't have an optical drive bay, so a bootable CD/DVD isn't an option.

I just want to see if we can get any documents, etc off the hard drive before it goes in for repair (thank goodness for JL's 2-year guarantee).

My wife regularly backs up photos to an external drive but I'm thinking that there may be some banking/financial stuff on there.

Cheers,

Art

Sorry - can't give you any Win 10 version info as it isn't/wasn't my machine.

ArthurDent, Feb 26, 2020
Thema:

1. 1 Y.O. Laptop - suspected hard drive failure - help needed - Similar Threads - Laptop suspected hard

2. Help needed with hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help needed with hard drive: Can anyone help me with this issue, basically it started yesterday when my computer decided to update itself and then ended up taking over 4 hours to get to 26% and so I decided to shut my computer down. After I had turned it back on it removed any changes or had done and...
  3. Hard Drive failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive failure: Hello everyone, I have Lenovo L13 Yoga and it's fairly new. I recently had a disk failure error in my device and prompted me to scan the hard drive. The scan runs for quite a few hours but as I had to start my work, I forced restarted the device. The device looks...
  4. Suspected malware. Need help asap!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Suspected malware. Need help asap!: Hi, I'm Aditya Mishra. I've been getting this pop-up lately https://ibb.co/jrK3y5j which has become quite frequent. Though the path it shows doesn't exist, there are times when a blue PowerShell window appears in the left for about 2 seconds. And Yesterday, there were a few...
  5. Suspected malware. Need help asap!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suspected malware. Need help asap!: Hi, I'm Aditya Mishra. I've been getting this pop-up lately https://ibb.co/jrK3y5jwhich has become quite frequent. Though the path it shows doesn't exist, there are times when a blue PowerShell window appears in the left for about 2 seconds. And Yesterday, there were a few...
  6. hard drive failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard drive failure: Windows 10 64 bit posting from second PC HD failure id 9GDUWF-7QFA4R-GXPSMG-6OTO3 Does this mean that I need to replace the HD or is there a fix for it. 157602
  7. Hard drive failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive failure: Support assist revealed a Hard Drive malfunction and manufacturer recommends installing a new drive. They are sending with Windows loaded. This alone makes me nervous. Typically my tech who is off site would re load and eliminate unnecessary stuff. I don't even know what...
  8. Imminent hard drive failure, need help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Imminent hard drive failure, need help: Hi, Today, I got the imminent hard drive S.M.A.R.T. failure warning. My pc is a rebranded HP Touch Smart All-in-one 23" i-7 so no help from HP. I have used Seatools and it failed. All of my data is backed up. Should I try to ID the drive before I attempt to open the pc?...
  9. Hard drive failure

Hard drive failure: hello, I've had this computer for about ten years now. Recently I've had it shutting down on me randomly. I thought it was the power supply so I replaced it. Apparently it wasn't. My only other guess is a hard drive failure. I bought a new pc and a synology nas to move...
  10. Hard drive failure

Hard drive failure: Hi all, Yesterday I came back to my computer and there was a pop up on the screen telling me that there is an update for Itunes available. So I clicked on install, but nothing happened. Then I wanted to close the pop up, but could not. All was frozen. I had to shut down by...