Windows 10: 10 Bit colour depth

Discus and support 10 Bit colour depth in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When i connect my 4K monitor with Displayport cable in Windows 10 it says it is 10 bit, but when i try with a HDMI cable it says 8 bit. So is 10 bit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dsykes34, Jul 3, 2019.

1. dsykes34 Win User

10 Bit colour depth

When i connect my 4K monitor with Displayport cable in Windows 10 it says it is 10 bit, but when i try with a HDMI cable it says 8 bit.

So is 10 bit 4K not supported by HDMI?

:)

dsykes34, Jul 3, 2019

2. Color bit depth is at 6-bit on Display properties of Windows 10 pro

Try the below suggested steps and check if the suggested options are available to change the Color bit Depth value

1. Right click on the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
    2. Expand the Display, and then highlight the Change resolution.
    3. On the right side, check if there is 8 bpc listed under
      Output color depth.
    4. You may select 8 bpc and restart the device to witness the changes.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Jul 3, 2019
  3. Ben Bass Win User
    Windows 10 64 bit - Stuck in 16 bit colour depth

Recently I tried to install a game on my PC which is not compatible with Windows 10. Upon running the game my monitor started to flash ridiculously fast and left a burn on the screen for a while.

After closing the game down I noticed that my screen had changed to have 16 bit colour depth however when I check my graphics card settings I am running in 32 bit colour depth.

I have already reinstalled Windows and reinstalled my graphics card drivers. Could this be a problem with the monitor?

Ben Bass, Jul 3, 2019
  4. neilpzz Win User

10 Bit colour depth

Windows 10 defaults to 8-bit color depth automatically.

Looking at the image from Windows 10 it looks like a typical Windows 10 display.

What does a photo look like when displayed by Windows 10, do you see colour detail you would expect. Mine show a colour depth of 24 bit (even though windows Display shows 8 bit) and the details of the image look fine.

Searching the Internet for "windows 10 display 8 bit" shows many questions and some explanations.

neilpzz, Jul 3, 2019
Thema:

10 Bit colour depth

1. 10 Bit colour depth - Similar Threads - Bit colour depth

2. How to change the colour depth to 8bit on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the colour depth to 8bit on Windows 11?: I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 520, Installed Windows 11 last week. I did not noticed before but now while verifying if everything installed after the upgrade I noticed the display colour depth is set to 6-bit in the Advanced Display Setting Window. Under the List All Modes it shows...
  3. Windows auto reduces the bit depth to 8 bit for my 32 bit depth monitor.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows auto reduces the bit depth to 8 bit for my 32 bit depth monitor.: As you can see from the above screenshots, Windows 10 reduces the color depth to 8 bits for my 32-bit depth monitor. I don't think or know if its going to make a difference at all but if it is there and it can work then why not use it?...
  4. Windows auto reduces the bit depth to 8 bit for my 32 bit depth monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows auto reduces the bit depth to 8 bit for my 32 bit depth monitor.: As you can see from the above screenshots, Windows 10 reduces the color depth to 8 bits for my 32-bit depth monitor. I don't think or know if its going to make a difference at all but if it is there and it can work then why not use it?...
  5. Windows auto reduces the bit depth to 8 bit for my 32 bit depth monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Advanced display settings shows 6 bit colour depth with AMD vega-8 graphics

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Advanced display settings shows 6 bit colour depth with AMD vega-8 graphics: I have a Honor MagicBook laptop. Advanced display settings shows the colour depth as 6 bit when all the display drivers amd are installed. The colour looks washed out for some reason. If I remove the driver and go back to Microsoft Basic driver, it shows 8 bit and the colour...
  7. Sample Rate and Bit Depth Issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sample Rate and Bit Depth Issues: First of all, I want to say what this discussion is about. ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING that has a problem with sample rate and bit depth for Windows 10. My intent with this discussion is to create a place for people to resolve most of the common issues with this setting. What...
  8. screen color bit depth

screen color bit depth: my screen resolution on my Toshiba laptop looks like old time 8bit color with lots of distortion how do I get a better color depth display adpter is an intel 4600 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-color-bit-depth/a40f3cdb-cf31-4459-92f0-92d644026d7a
  9. Sample rate and bit depth unchangeable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sample rate and bit depth unchangeable: I ran into a problem whilst trying to fix the same problem as this post but I couldn't get the sample rate and bit depth to change and it seems locked for some reason. Photo of it being locked: [ATTACH]...
  10. Bit Depth (Color Depth) of my display is too low

Bit Depth (Color Depth) of my display is too low: Hey, When I install Intel UHD Graphics Driver, Windows 10 reports the bit depth to be 6 bits only..Please refer to the below screenshot When I uninstall Intel UHD Graphics Driver, bit depth increases to 8 bits... Why is this so? And even 8 bits is too low......

Users found this page by searching for:

1. default color depth of Windows