Windows 10: 10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10: IT’S FAMILIAR

Discus and support 10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10: IT’S FAMILIAR in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; You said that you could find 20 reasons not to use Win10 but you now say you'll use it. Ok... up to you. And how do you view this as "complying"..... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 18, 2015.

1. nt62 Win User

10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10: IT’S FAMILIAR

I did give 23 reasons and a few others. Complying is what I call the sheeple factor. Everyone is in lockstep.
    Microsoft does have a monopoly here. Linux and Apple are a different species.
    Perhaps the features they are producing are unwelcome.

still getting a kick out of the WIndows thingy ha ha

2. nt62 Win User

Everyone MUST like 10? Everyone MUST rave about how wonderful it is with dancing elephants?
    Why am I a member of this forum? Good Question.
    I have asked myself this question many times.

It would seem that being a forum member can be an addiction,
    especially for those that have time to post.

I have many times tried to quit, ha, ha,
    but keep getting pulled back everytime I awaken my pc from sleep.

3. BunnyJ New Member
    Back on topic:
    I find that WIn10 is easy to adapt to if you're familiar with both WIn7 and WIn8/Win8.1. The new start menu is nice like WIn7 and the app integration from Win8/Win8.1 is a good feature for some users like myself.

Overall users of Win7 should have an easier time adjusting to Win10 than say the shock they might have faced with adaption to Win8. Now that was not fun at all.

BunnyJ, Jul 19, 2015
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

Jimbo your correct. . .good thing he doesn't live in NZ. . .

5. LEE
    Lee Win User
    *Ditto*Ditto*Ditto*Ditto*Ditto*Ditto*Ditto*Ditto

6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    . . .now your just being silly. . .if your not going to use it as your main OS that is your right, albeit if your not going to use it whatsoever then why come one here and tell folks. . .do you really think they care whether you use it or not. . .*Smile

7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi Lee (and others)

Don't waste time or energy with obvious "Grade A's" -- there are plenty of REASONABLE people on these forums -- just forget about the obvious ignorable candidates.

Of course an OS has points that some don't like -- but on the whole I think most of us find that W10 is evolving an a good direction - and for features we really don't like there are always people here who can help in finding alternative solutions for the bits that don't work properly or how to use another alternative app.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 20, 2015
  8. mart44 Win User

I think most people will be members of this particular forum because they are interested in reading about or discussing the new OS regarding usage, features and development. Maybe not the best place to express a dislike of the entire concept.

Forums can be addictive and there will likely be no shortage of others where people will want to express positive or negative opinions about Windows 10. Perhaps best to go to one of these. Your views should produce enough discussion to fulfill anyone's addiction to forums. *Smile

I may not post frequently but read this forum a lot. Thanks for all the information and discussions. I have been keeping up with development and installing the Insider Previews on a spare computer. I reckon Windows 10 is looking good and will be upgrading my main computer (currently running Windows 8.1) on or shortly after the release date.

mart44, Jul 20, 2015
  9. IAN
    Ian Win User
    Windows 10 is going to be great, I hope. Can't wait to leave 8.1 behind and get the Start menu back. Start8 is nice, but sometimes there's weirdness. Nature of third-party apps messing with system features, I guess.

10. Cr00zng Win User
    Windows 10 is probably the best OS from MS, as far as performance is concerned. Its interface is a OK, depending on one's preference.

There are couple of reasons why I won't upgrade my systems to Windows 10. One is its deep integration with MS cloud services. While this feature certainly has benefits, I just don't trust the cloud with my personal information and data. And yes, I am aware that staying away from the cloud is becoming increasingly harder and harder. Having W10 and the upcoming Office 2016 connected to the cloud may make it impossible not using the cloud.

The other is security. It remains to be seen how well it'll stand up against malware. While past performance is not a guarantee for future performance, I am skeptical. I'll Keep my W7 and 8.1 until more known about the new OS.

I don't hate Windows 10, just have concerns about some of the "features"...

PS: Yes, I am still testing W10, despite I won't upgrade to it. Some of my clients are actually looking forward to the new OS and as such, I have no choice.

Cr00zng, Jul 20, 2015
  11. iain Win User
    One major reason not to upgrade straight away, is lack of Aero Glass.

That said, I usually wait for at least 6-12 months after a major release before upgrading. That's to allow for stabilisation of release, as I'm not an early adopter.

12. When you give a list of reasons to convince folks to do something, you generally leave the most compelling to the last -- because that's what folks tend to remember the best. In this case, the video leaves the fact that the upgrade is FREE to the end.

Let's say we removed the last of the 10 reasons and MS then decided to charge everyone $100+ to upgrade. I doubt the remaining Nine reasons would be sufficient to have folks queuing up to upgrade to Win10.

As for me, I actually LIKE Win8.1, especially after I added a Start Menu using Stardock's Start8 -- and given that Stardock has already releases betas of Start10, and there are host of other start menu alternatives as well, their first reason means nothing to me.

As to questioning why folks are here, I joined for the same reason I joined the Window 8 forum (and the Windows 7 forum before that) -- to shared in the community experience of testing it, learn how to make improvements to it, and share solutions with others to problems that I have found. Nowhere in this is the requirement to be an Advocate of the new OS. SO, just as we should be free to praise Win10 without fear of being verbally assaulted, we should also be free to criticize -- without the same fear.

As to upgrading, I plan to upgrade some really old Win7 systems simply because the upgrade is free. But my main system runs Win8.1 and I don't know that I'm willing to spend $200 (approximate) to dual-boot it with Win10 when I only paid $40 to dual-boot Win8 with Win7.

Mark Phelps, Jul 20, 2015
  13. dencal Win User

I have installed a Vantec NexStar SE dual hard drive rack from NEWEGG in order to hot swop, am running W8.1 and W10 on the same computer, but obviously not together.
    Price on above unit Approx $19 but reduced by 15%.

dencal, Jul 20, 2015
  14. Gene Win User
    I don't understand the $200 expense. Would not the free upgrade apply to your main system as well?

As for me, I am an inveterate early adopter as each build as been released I like Windows 10 better and better. So far I have found no bugs in the 10240 build. With some important tweaks (Stardock 8) I have learned to tolerate 8.1

IMO if your are running Windows 7 happily there is no persuasive reason to upgrade but no reason not to either - personal decision. As Edge and Cortana mature there will be more reason to go to Win 10.

If you are running 8 or 8.1 the upgrade becomes more of a good idea.

Bottom line for all of us is to do what is confortable for you.
    Cheers

15. Trust_No1 Win User
    Well since you asked
    I don't like that they have removed most of the Theme functions;
    • you can't even create a background color
    • you can't edit colors
    • you can't choose how long to make icon spacing without regedit
    • you can't customize taskbar colors (they only have set choices)
    Windows 7 was best, 8 removed some, but left enough to be tolerable
    I don't like that you can no longer selectively choose which updates you want
    • what if in the future they remove a feature I like or use, I won't have any control
    • what if their updates screws up my system, it's happened in all other versions
    • why not allow updates to be disabled? <---- this really, really bothers me

I don't like that they removed Media Center, (yes I know) blah, blahRegardless, of pro and con of Media Center, many legacy softwares used the default drivers provided
    by Media Center, now they don't function, they could have at least left (or allowed one to install drivers)
    you are not even able to play a dvd, without installing 3rd party software (they abandon everything)
    Let's talk about Edge, since eventually I think they will remove IE all together

• I don't like that Edge imports bookmarks in reverse order
    • I don't like that you can't easily edit bookmarks, it only allows you to delete one-by-one
    • I don't like that you can't reset Edge to defaults
    • they said it would have extensions, I haven't heard or seen anything about this

Let's talk about tablet mode
    • I am unable to snap to either left, or right screens any more
    • I much preferred the Metro interface of Windows 8 (but that is a personal issue)
    • I also miss being able to go to the left upper corner and displaying my different app
    • For me this tablet mode is just stupid and totally useless

DirectX doesn't seem to be functional (I am sure they will correct this at some point and time)but again, not even 11, 10 or 9c seem to function, I had to search for an old stand alone install for it
    this is really not essential unless you are a gamer, so no biggie
    I really don't like the tiled menu, and I still don't like that you can't pin items to a menu (again personal issue)

I won't go into the whole vague issue of the free thing, verses licenses (makes my head spin).

These are just some basic issues I have with it, I could go on, you mentioned some (I like the Charm bar, I thought it was brilliant). But, the above are enough to stop me dead in my tracks for upgrading. It may sound frivolous to some, but for me they are major stopping blocks. Good god it just seems, that it isn't even my machine or Operating system any longer, and after the first year, they want me to pay for this?

I have been a Microsoft person my entire life, I have gone through every version since day one (bad and good), but this one leaves me wanting. I am good with my Windows 7 & 8 for the next 10 years. I have never really thought about a Mac or Linux, but I am willing to make a switch now, where as before I wouldn't even consider it.

On the bright side, Microsoft goes crazy every few years, so who knows, they might abandon this and in 10 years we will have an entirely new toy to play with. *Party

Trust_No1, Jul 20, 2015
Thema:

1. 10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10: IT’S FAMILIAR - Similar Threads - Reasons Upgrade IT’S

2. Anyone familiar with Windows 10 22H2 and system model compatibility?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anyone familiar with Windows 10 22H2 and system model compatibility?: I would like to know if anyone knows if there are HP drivers and BIOS and firmware updates outside of Microsoft for a HP 17 inch laptop.. Windows wants to install the update to windows 10 64 bit 22H2, and i am hesitant.i want to see if installing it may resolve any conflicts,...
  3. Anyone familiar with Windows 10 22H2 and system model compatibility?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anyone familiar with Windows 10 22H2 and system model compatibility?: I would like to know if anyone knows if there are HP drivers and BIOS and firmware updates outside of Microsoft for a HP 17 inch laptop.. Windows wants to install the update to windows 10 64 bit 22H2, and i am hesitant.i want to see if installing it may resolve any conflicts,...
  4. Anyone familiar with Windows 10 22H2 and system model compatibility?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. The Reason Why The Windows 10 Installation Media Windows 10 Upgrade Will Blue Screen / Not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The Reason Why The Windows 10 Installation Media Windows 10 Upgrade Will Blue Screen / Not...: This incident Happened in 2020 when our PC is Windows 7 and want to upgrade it to Windows 10 when each update of windows became slower even though it still has more space, and when the 20H2 Update has been installed, It becomes slower and blue screened and it eventually can't...
  6. Getting familiar with the Win 10 GUI before upgrading from 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting familiar with the Win 10 GUI before upgrading from 7: Hello all. I'm preparing for the upgrade, and would like to get familiar with the Win 10 GUI before upgrading. Can anyone recommend a place to learn the basics? Thanks. 147448
  7. Windows 10 Professional upgraded itself (for no reason) to Enterprise and now it's...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Professional upgraded itself (for no reason) to Enterprise and now it's...: Hello, I recently upgrade a fresh Windows 10 Home installation to a Windows 10 Professional through the Microsoft store digital upgrade. Everything went fine, paid the $99 and was able to use my computer as expected. However earlier today I booted my computer and the...
  8. Windows 10 Deactivated For No Reason

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Deactivated For No Reason: i suddenly got this watermark yesterday saying i need to activate my windows. this is the first time this happened after buying this laptop for almost 2 years now. also the windows activation troubleshooter won't connect to the microsoft server (0xc0020036) this g**d*mn...
  9. List Compelling Reasons to upgrade to Upgrade to Windows 10 for Novice

in Windows 10 Support
    List Compelling Reasons to upgrade to Upgrade to Windows 10 for Novice: I feel that we as experts on this forum should try and persuade any novices who are not sure about upgrading to Windows 10 should help explain why its good for them to upgrade from earlier versions. So I'll start off: • Latest security • Support for latest technology...
  10. Three Reasons Microsoft Stopped Free Windows 10 Upgrades

in Windows 10 News
    Three Reasons Microsoft Stopped Free Windows 10 Upgrades: Three Reasons Microsoft Stopped Free Windows 10 Upgrades Microsoft MSFT -0.82% has stood by its promise. Last week the company confirmed it will soon start charging for Windows 10 bringing its free upgrade offer to a close and it won’t be cheap. For those baffled by...