Windows 10: 10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10: IT’S FAMILIAR

Discus and support 10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10: IT’S FAMILIAR in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Well since you asked ... Let's talk about Edge, since eventually I think they will remove IE all together I don't like that Edge imports... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 18, 2015.

1. iain Win User

10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10: IT’S FAMILIAR

IE and DirectX have been deprecated for Windows 10 in favour of Edge, which is completely HTML5 compliant.

2. So, is there any patch or option to increase the font size or the width of the scroll bar in the RTM 10240 version right now or, still when you use Shawn's Classic Personalization to change font sizes the start menu font is still that 9pt size or 8pt, not even sure anymore .... ?

heyyahblah, Jul 20, 2015
  3. Cr00zng Win User
    No, Edge isn't "completely" HTML5 compliant, not even close:

10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10: IT’S FAMILIAR [​IMG]

Source

Well, at least better than Safari...*Wink

Cr00zng, Jul 20, 2015
  4. strollin Win User

I've yet to experience the shock of adapting to Win 8. It was (and still is) just as familiar as Win 10. I'd say Win 10 is LESS familiar with things such as Cortana, the move to the Notification Area from the Control Panel, Edge browser, etc... The Start menu in Win 10 is almost NOTHING like the Start menu in Win 7 so I don't consider it "familiar" either.

There's nothing wrong with Win 10, it's a decent OS but not anything to be in a hurry to upgrade to.

I'd like to get some copies of it for free but don't wish to upgrade any of my machines. I could use some non-upgrade copies to clean install on new machines.

strollin, Jul 20, 2015
  5. Tony K Win User
    Couldn't have said it better myself, strollin. I feel just the same at this point. There are some good features of 10 like the newer RT apps, but overall navigation with 8.1 is better IMO. Lack of combo keys in 10 especially. Kind of warming up to it in Tablet Mode, but not quite the same.

The new Start menu is really nothing but a mini version of Start screen and All apps screen combination. Resembles the 7 Start menu somewhat, but simply not the same.

Tony K, Jul 20, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Ok.. I just stated what I thought and I didn't state them as facts.

BunnyJ, Jul 21, 2015
  7. Windows 10 is the best OS in the world now. Don't hang on the 7 peeps. It was a great OS and still is, but times have moved on. 8 was a disaster but 8.1 was okay, easier to put up with. With 10, i got nothing but praise for it. Works great on my laptop. No bugs, glitches or lags. No slowdowns, faster boot & shutdown speeds.
    The whole look of it is more modern, settings are more thought out and in order. Not like settings in 8, which was all over the place. Slowly, if they can get rid of the control panel we all know and are used to, i wont mind. More streamlined without jumping from desktop panel to modern settings.

LightspeeD, Aug 14, 2015
  8. groze Win User

@Trust_No1

I agree with you for the most part. Here is some info.

Once you upgraded to 10 at least once and activated on that machine, you don't have to pay to upgrade again or do a clean install even after the free offer expires. Microsoft does have laws to follow in each country I am sure their legal department checked them out thoroughly.

As for the dvd player. This article explain better than I can

If VLC can ship a free DVD player, why can't Microsoft? | ZDNet

Vlc does play dvds on windows 10 provided you have a dvd player. If you have a blue-ray player, vlc should be able to play that as well.

groze, Aug 14, 2015
  9. gator2013 Win User
    My experience with the conversion to W-10 since 7/29 has been mostly the opposite, bugs, lags, slowdowns and slower boots and shutdowns and this has been on a 6 mo HP Notebook. Better than average i3, 6 GB RAM, mostly used as a back-up for my primary desktop system but no complex programs added. Ran 8.1 flawlessly before the conversion with all current updates, clean SFC. I do admit that I have not experienced any total lock-ups or BSOD's but event viewer shows 40-60 errors of all kinds especially after restart. I have Macrium images before and after the conversion so I am comfortable with being able to manage whatever situation that might arise.

I am really glad the conversion to W-10 has been mostly problem free for many but looking at the various threads on this forum that has not been the case for a whole lot of users and it seems as though some of the issues are very problematic if not impossible to resolve. Yes, a clean install may be the best answer but I don't think that is realistic for the average PC user.

I am going to keep W-10 on my Notebook for the time being to see how all this progresses but it will likely be a long time before I try out W-10 on my primary system.

At this point in time I would not recommend users convert to W-10 until many of the issues are resolved unless they have a secondary PC that can be used as a test machine or they have a good backup scheme.

I am NOT anti-W-10 because I like many of the features but I do believe that with a couple more months of refinement any conversion will be more seamless.

gator2013, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10: IT’S FAMILIAR - Similar Threads - Reasons Upgrade IT’S

2. Anyone familiar with Windows 10 22H2 and system model compatibility?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anyone familiar with Windows 10 22H2 and system model compatibility?: I would like to know if anyone knows if there are HP drivers and BIOS and firmware updates outside of Microsoft for a HP 17 inch laptop.. Windows wants to install the update to windows 10 64 bit 22H2, and i am hesitant.i want to see if installing it may resolve any conflicts,...
  3. Anyone familiar with Windows 10 22H2 and system model compatibility?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anyone familiar with Windows 10 22H2 and system model compatibility?: I would like to know if anyone knows if there are HP drivers and BIOS and firmware updates outside of Microsoft for a HP 17 inch laptop.. Windows wants to install the update to windows 10 64 bit 22H2, and i am hesitant.i want to see if installing it may resolve any conflicts,...
  4. Anyone familiar with Windows 10 22H2 and system model compatibility?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Is anyone familiar with this issue

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Is anyone familiar with this issue: One of the customers I work with submitted a ticket, and to be honest I was not familiar with this issue at all. Basically, while the customer was logged in, a pop-up came on the screen and it was a pop-up of the log-in screen that you see when you initially log in to Windows...
  6. The Reason Why The Windows 10 Installation Media Windows 10 Upgrade Will Blue Screen / Not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The Reason Why The Windows 10 Installation Media Windows 10 Upgrade Will Blue Screen / Not...: This incident Happened in 2020 when our PC is Windows 7 and want to upgrade it to Windows 10 when each update of windows became slower even though it still has more space, and when the 20H2 Update has been installed, It becomes slower and blue screened and it eventually can't...
  7. Getting familiar with the Win 10 GUI before upgrading from 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting familiar with the Win 10 GUI before upgrading from 7: Hello all. I'm preparing for the upgrade, and would like to get familiar with the Win 10 GUI before upgrading. Can anyone recommend a place to learn the basics? Thanks. 147448
  8. Windows 10 Professional upgraded itself (for no reason) to Enterprise and now it's...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Professional upgraded itself (for no reason) to Enterprise and now it's...: Hello, I recently upgrade a fresh Windows 10 Home installation to a Windows 10 Professional through the Microsoft store digital upgrade. Everything went fine, paid the $99 and was able to use my computer as expected. However earlier today I booted my computer and the...
  9. List Compelling Reasons to upgrade to Upgrade to Windows 10 for Novice

in Windows 10 Support
    List Compelling Reasons to upgrade to Upgrade to Windows 10 for Novice: I feel that we as experts on this forum should try and persuade any novices who are not sure about upgrading to Windows 10 should help explain why its good for them to upgrade from earlier versions. So I'll start off: • Latest security • Support for latest technology...
  10. Three Reasons Microsoft Stopped Free Windows 10 Upgrades

in Windows 10 News
    Three Reasons Microsoft Stopped Free Windows 10 Upgrades: Three Reasons Microsoft Stopped Free Windows 10 Upgrades Microsoft MSFT -0.82% has stood by its promise. Last week the company confirmed it will soon start charging for Windows 10 bringing its free upgrade offer to a close and it won’t be cheap. For those baffled by...