Windows 10: 10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10

Discus and support 10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 8 was filled with bold ideas, designed to move Windows forward in one giant leap. Three years later, as Windows 10 nears its release date, many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10

Read more: The Windows 8 scrap heap: 10 features that didn't make it to Windows 10 | ZDNet

:)

Brink, Feb 18, 2015

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Feb 18, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Feb 18, 2015
  4. 10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10

Two headed Internet explorer lol *Tongue
    Instead they gave it multiple personalities *Biggrin

ThrashZone, Feb 18, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Those are not a big loss - except for the Start screen which I toggle. The Charms and corners I already disabled in 8.1. The other IE I kind of like. It has a few nifty functions. For the rest of the list I can care less.

There are a few other losses - e.g. the 'Check for updates' has disappeared from the Control Panel. The Modern UI does not support High Contrast Themes. That would be a showstopper for me if they don't fix it.

6. Wynona Win User
    I am definitely glad to see the stooped thing gone! I hated the one that showed up on my start screen (hated that too).

Wynona, Feb 18, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    You're suggesting that Modern apps had high contrast in Windows 8 and it's lost in Windows 10?

Mystere, Feb 19, 2015
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

Not modern apps but the modern UI that you enter thru settings. Picture 1 shows how e.g. the update screen looks in W8.1 and Picture 2 shows the same in W10.

10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10 [​IMG]

10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10 [​IMG]

9. BunnyJ New Member
    Well, no way to bring up the start screen. That's .. well a shame but it's not critical for my liking of Win10.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 19, 2015
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    BunnyJ, Feb 19, 2015
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    Rumors are that they will keep the start screen option. But it is only a rumor..

13. Winuser Win User

The way Win 10 is going I'm definitely going to upgrade from Windows 8 to Win 10 when it's released. Even though I don't miss the features from Win 8 that was left out I do hope MS gives us a choice for those who want them back.

Winuser, Feb 19, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    Now that would be good. I could make use of that option.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 19, 2015
  15. Mystere Win User
    Settings is just another Modern app.

Your screenshots are two different things. One is the legacy control panel applets, which are standard Win32 apps, the other is the Settings Modern app.

Modern apps have never had high contrast, so claiming that Windows 10 is removing high contrast from Modern apps is not really true.

Mystere, Feb 19, 2015
Thema:

1. 10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - features didn't

2. Stuck on boot screen after update: "Customizing features for you. You are 98% there."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck on boot screen after update: "Customizing features for you. You are 98% there.": Got a new Computer, set it up with win11, and it autoupdated yesterday. It did not finish and got stuck on the boot screen: "Customizing features for you. You're 98% there. Please keep your computer on."I restarted a couple of times, but it always ends up there. When...
  3. Stuck on boot screen after update: "Customizing features for you. You are 98% there."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck on boot screen after update: "Customizing features for you. You are 98% there.": Got a new Computer, set it up with win11, and it autoupdated yesterday. It did not finish and got stuck on the boot screen: "Customizing features for you. You're 98% there. Please keep your computer on."I restarted a couple of times, but it always ends up there. When...
  4. Laptop glitched and now desktop features are different

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop glitched and now desktop features are different: Hello, I was watching a movie on netflix when my computer crashed and went to a black screen. After a few moments it turned back on but now everything is slightly more zoomed in icons are bigger, cursor too I also have notifications when the Caps are on which I didn't have...
  5. Laptop glitched and now desktop features are different

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop glitched and now desktop features are different: Hello, I was watching a movie on netflix when my computer crashed and went to a black screen. After a few moments it turned back on but now everything is slightly more zoomed in icons are bigger, cursor too I also have notifications when the Caps are on which I didn't have...
  6. Laptop glitched and now desktop features are different

7. HELP! The windows 11 update KB5034765 didn't install and broken many features.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP! The windows 11 update KB5034765 didn't install and broken many features.: This update of Windows 11 KB5034765 didn't install and broken features like Search bar/Menu, the PrtSc button used to Screenshot particular part of screen, clipboard history, fps drops in many games, can't access notification panel and i can't close any window through...
  8. HELP! The windows 11 update KB5034765 didn't install and broken many features.

HELP! The windows 11 update KB5034765 didn't install and broken many features.: This update of Windows 11 KB5034765 didn't install and broken features like Search bar/Menu, the PrtSc button used to Screenshot particular part of screen, clipboard history, fps drops in many games, can't access notification panel and i can't close any window through...
  9. Can't finish the update for sandbox feature and getting: Something didn't go as planned etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't finish the update for sandbox feature and getting: Something didn't go as planned etc.: Hi! I can't finish the update for sandbox on my Windows 11 Pro.Whenever I try to install sandbox from the features list, when I press restart, it restarts and it's the same as it updates, but it goes to 97% and it says: "Something didn't go as planned. Undoing changes." etc....
  10. Can't finish the update for sandbox feature and getting: Something didn't go as planned etc.

Can't finish the update for sandbox feature and getting: Something didn't go as planned etc.: Hi! I can't finish the update for sandbox on my Windows 11 Pro.Whenever I try to install sandbox from the features list, when I press restart, it restarts and it's the same as it updates, but it goes to 97% and it says: "Something didn't go as planned. Undoing changes." etc....