Windows 10: 100% CPU - Brand New Machine

Discus and support 100% CPU - Brand New Machine in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I am trying to upgrade a number of machines to Windows 10 Pro. Latest one is a new laptop - fresh install and after it has been running a while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by markiejd, Feb 25, 2016.

1. markiejd Win User

100% CPU - Brand New Machine

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade a number of machines to Windows 10 Pro. Latest one is a new laptop - fresh install and after it has been running a while it comes up at 100 CPU and it is something to do with Service host local system. This is not the only machine to be affected by this and what I have done to fix this is disable the windows update service.....any other ideas as this is driving me nuts......

Thanks,

:)

markiejd, Feb 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 brand new high CPU

Hi

I bought my new machine yesterday with Win10. The CPU is almost Always at 100%. Is it because Windows is updating etc? When will it sink to the normal 4%?

barkatthemoonpodcast, Feb 25, 2016
  3. 10 pro upgrade

I am doing an upgrade from 10 home to 10 pro on a brand new machine and its been at 100% complete for about 2 hours bought upgrade from online store.

KevinPerron771, Feb 25, 2016
  4. pete1208 Win User

Use resource monitor to find the program that's the trouble. Give the system some time after an upgrade, it has to run alot of optimizations (.NET, disk, etc...) in the background. Once your set, don't forget to run disk cleanup, do admin option, and remove the old copy of windows to free a ton of disk space.

If the c:\windows.old remains afterwards, you have an old driver, app that needs to be uninstalled / reinstalled. Log me in hamachi has this problem.

pete1208, Feb 25, 2016
  5. markiejd Win User
    it was a fresh install...but I am trying to sort via resource manager looks like svchost.exe (netsvcs) is the one pushing 74% followed by system at 12

markiejd, Feb 25, 2016
  6. markiejd Win User
    I am sure this is windows update related. had this on another machine and stopped the service and the user has been happy since.

markiejd, Feb 25, 2016
  7. pete1208 Win User
    MS has a tendency to re-set the network stack after windows update. Sounds like you have a network / internet accessing app (that self updates) that needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled. NVidia has this problem.

Have you installed any apps?

pete1208, Feb 25, 2016
  8. markiejd Win User

The machine is a elite book 840 (HP) and we have others that are fine.

It only has Office and ESET and Malwarebytes on it

markiejd, Feb 25, 2016
  9. b1rd Win User
    Hi markiejd,

Wondering about Office. Is it the same Bit (32 / 64) as your operating system?

10. markiejd Win User
    no all run on 32 bit office but most of the machine's are 64 bit.....don't think it is this

just seams some machines on windows 10 are ok but some just play up.

markiejd, Feb 25, 2016
  11. b1rd Win User
    It was a shot in the dark. There was another recent post that seem to identify the wrong version an Office suite as the reason.

12. markiejd Win User
    no appreciate the comments you never know. in this case all of the office are 32 bit on 64 bit OS

markiejd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 100% CPU - Brand New Machine - Similar Threads - 100% CPU Brand

2. brand new pc with 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    brand new pc with 100% disk usage: hey i got this new brand new laptop "i5 10th gen 8gb 1tb hdd " but it has 100% disk usage i thought it was because of the windows update thing but the problem is still there even though i have no app opened and no update running in the backgroundand one thing that i think it...
  3. brand new pc with 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    brand new pc with 100% disk usage: hey i got this new brand new laptop "i5 10th gen 8gb 1tb hdd " but it has 100% disk usage i thought it was because of the windows update thing but the problem is still there even though i have no app opened and no update running in the backgroundand one thing that i think it...
  4. brand new pc with 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    brand new pc with 100% disk usage: hey i got this new brand new laptop "i5 10th gen 8gb 1tb hdd " but it has 100% disk usage i thought it was because of the windows update thing but the problem is still there even though i have no app opened and one thing that i think it was the thing that caused it i bought...
  5. Brand new windows 11 PC running at 100% maximum frequency but 3% CPU.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Brand new windows 11 PC running at 100% maximum frequency but 3% CPU.: I have a Lenovo 5i Creator Edition desktop that I have only had for about 5 weeks. The first 4 were amazing, but the past two days have been an absolute nightmare. I believe windows updated a few days ago. When I updated to WIN11 after buying my pc, I could run two Adobe apps...
  6. Brand new windows 11 PC running at 100% maximum frequency but 3% CPU.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Brand new windows 11 PC running at 100% maximum frequency but 3% CPU.: I have a Lenovo 5i Creator Edition desktop that I have only had for about 5 weeks. The first 4 were amazing, but the past two days have been an absolute nightmare. I believe windows updated a few days ago. When I updated to WIN11 after buying my pc, I could run two Adobe apps...
  7. BSOD with this error almost brand new machine

BSOD with this error almost brand new machine: ******************************************************************************** ** Bugcheck Analysis **...
  8. I'm struggling - 100% CPU and non-responsive brand new Dell XPS 9300

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I'm struggling - 100% CPU and non-responsive brand new Dell XPS 9300: Greetings Folks! I got the new Dell XPS 9300 with Ubuntu and immediately I started to face problems. To avoid any doubt, I must clarify that I have MSDN enterprise subscription and we always buy Dell systems with Ubuntu to avoid unnecessary windows license cost. Things I...
  9. 100% CPU Usage constantly on brand new i7 9700K

100% CPU Usage constantly on brand new i7 9700K: Hi there. In the past week my PC has developed the problem of 100% CPU usage constantly. Multiple applications and processes are trying to use the most CPU power, it's not just one. I have reinstalled windows and uninstalled display drivers to reinstall again in the hope of...
  10. Kernel security check error on brand new machine

Kernel security check error on brand new machine: Greetings and Merry Christmas. I have a 3 day out of the box, Asus Zenbook pro that is giving me fits. I am getting the BSOD fairly regularly. I have scoured the internet trying to find a solution. From the suggestions I have found so far, I have updated both display...