Windows 10: 100% CPU usage... except in Safe Mode without Networking

Discus and support 100% CPU usage... except in Safe Mode without Networking in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My CPU is maxing out CPU usage frequently it has lulls and spikes, without explanation. Idling, it can settle to around 5% and spike randomly to 60%... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JRob_VI, Apr 3, 2020.

1. JRob_VI Win User

100% CPU usage... except in Safe Mode without Networking

My CPU is maxing out CPU usage frequently it has lulls and spikes, without explanation. Idling, it can settle to around 5% and spike randomly to 60% or more. When I do something as simple as open a window, it spikes between 40% and 100% non-stop.

This problem seems non-existent in Safe Mode without networking. I tried numerous different suggestions I've found online, and in the end, I decided to wipe my drives and restart my Windows 10 install.

This did not fix the issue.

Does anyone have suggestions or support that could help me figure this out?

System Specs:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Build 18363

System Type x64

CPU: AMD FX-4130 quad-core

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

RAM: 8 GB DRD3

:)

JRob_VI, Apr 3, 2020

2. 100% CPU Usage after Windows 10 upgrade

Hello Aaron,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Most of the time, computers only use a small fraction of their CPU power. In fact, many computers use less than 5% of their CPU most of the time. When you open an application, play a video game, or encode media file, the CPU usage will rise or spike temporarily.
    Once the CPU intensive process completes, the CPU usage should once again drop down to lower level. Most applications will not use up more than 50% of your CPU for an extended period of time. However, some programs and system processes can use up a large amount
    of CPU without you even knowing it. This may happen if a program gets stuck in an infinite loop or encounters an unexpected error.

I suggest you to perform Safe mode and Clean boot procedures on the PC by following the steps below.

Step 1: I suggest you to boot your PC in Safe mode by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The words
    Safe Mode appear at the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using.

Expand the options to boot into Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Reboot the PC to exit from Safe mode.

To know more about Safe mode, following is an article on
    Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)
    (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Step 2: If the issue persists, perform Clean boot on your PC by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

I suggest you to perform clean boot by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

You can open the system configuration window in Windows 10:

a. Using run command.

• Press Windows Key + R keys on the Keyboard.
      • Type msconfig.msc and press Enter.

b. Using Cortana.

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type msconfig.
      • Select the top most search result.
    Follow the steps from 3 under How to perform a clean boot
    for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 from the link below (The steps for clean boot suggested in the link below for
    Windows 8/8.1 is applicable for Windows 10 as well):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Start the computer in normal mode refer the section,
    How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    from the link above.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Apr 3, 2020
  3. Atlancer Win User
    Windows 10 running at 100% CPU usage even in safe mode

I have been trying to solve the issue with 100% CPU usage on Windows 10. I tried the following:

1. Updated GPU and Intel drivers.
    2. Scanned the system for viruses with Malwarebytes, ESET Smart Security and AVG.
    3. Disabled tips about Windows in notifications.

Here are some screenshots:

100% CPU usage... except in Safe Mode without Networking ZMSGg.png

100% CPU usage... except in Safe Mode without Networking C3HOe.png

Observations:

1. The most interesting thing is that this issue persists even in Safe Mode!
    2. Also, it seems that problem appeared after BSOD with the "CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION" error. WhoCrashed reports the following:

3. Process Hacker shows CPU at 1-3%, even though task manager shows it as 100%.

Any ideas? I will be really grateful for any help!

P.S. My specs:
    i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz;
    6.00GB RAM;
    NVidia Geforce GTX 660M

Atlancer, Apr 3, 2020
  4. 100% CPU usage... except in Safe Mode without Networking

100% cpu usage all the time (from task manager at least...)

alright so I did the safe mode thing and that resolved the issue and brought the CPU down to like 1%. How can we keep this CPU usage in non safe mode because once I got out of safe mode my CPU went back up to 100% as expected. Also I noticed when not in
    safe mode my disk usage was also at 100% (goes down a lot in safe mode). I'll try the clean boot thing tomorrow when I have time.

Thanks for your help!

FantasticalBaby, Apr 3, 2020
Thema:

100% CPU usage... except in Safe Mode without Networking

1. 100% CPU usage... except in Safe Mode without Networking - Similar Threads - 100% CPU usage

2. 100% cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% cpu usage: My pc has been throwing a code randomly when I update/restart my pc something for a fan which one of mine needs to be replaced but now I restarted and got the code I usually just restart it again and it’ll work this time my pc booted up and nothing would open or it was...
  3. 100% cpu usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% cpu usage: My pc has been throwing a code randomly when I update/restart my pc something for a fan which one of mine needs to be replaced but now I restarted and got the code I usually just restart it again and it’ll work this time my pc booted up and nothing would open or it was...
  4. CPU usage at 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU usage at 100%: Hi!My name is Luca and from like 2 weeks ago my laptop started lagging.At first i didnt know what it was,but when i watched some videos online i looked at my task manager and the CPU was at 100%.I watched so many videos online but it didn't work.My laptop i an ASUS AMD Ryzen...
  5. 100% cpu usage

100% cpu usage: I have begun to notice when I have my charger plugged into my laptop, it causes my CPU usage to shoot up to 100%. However, when I unplug my charger it drops down to around 20%-30%. Does this mean my laptop charger is playing up? Or is there something running on my pc that Is...
  6. 100% CPU Usage

100% CPU Usage: PC fine until update to version 20H2 installed, now intermittent 100% CPU usage once or twice an hour for one to two minutes at a time. How do I correct the problem on this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-cpu-usage/7fed075a-2d99-44cc-bec1-93f40c948c6e
  7. 100% disk usage on HD except on safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% disk usage on HD except on safe mode: so i recently got a new pc and ive been having a 100% disk usage bug whenever i boot it up or just out of nowhere. I've already tried everything, like disabling superfetch, windows search, antimalware, doing a clean boot but nothing seems to work, except booting up into safe...
  8. 100% cpu usage

100% cpu usage: Once i booted today, i realised after a few minutes that my pc was acting extremely slow and jittery. I had open task manager and noticed my CPU was at extreme loads of 80-100%. The top 2 processes were "appmodel" "Serivce host: Remote procedure". It seems that the least...
  9. CPU 100% usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU 100% usage: I have two issues with windows 10, first issue is that, the taskbar in windows 10 showing me that the CPU is being used 100%. In Ubuntu it's running smoothly. I didn't have the issue windows until this morning. So after trying multiple solution from online the CPU still shows...
  10. 100% CPU usage.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    100% CPU usage.: Hi all. I sometimes use Xilisoft audio convertor and it puts CPU usage through the roof, sits on 100%. I do not use other progs to compare this to. Consequently PC slows down sometimes freezes, web slow to load etc. Is this normal. New install of win 10, 2 months ago. 8 gig...