Windows 10: 100% Disk for minutes after Startup

Discus and support 100% Disk for minutes after Startup in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My laptop, when it boots up, is very slow. Looking at Task Manager, DISK is at 100% for a very long time. Is this normal? No single process is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by newmarket2, Jun 7, 2019.

1. 100% Disk for minutes after Startup

My laptop, when it boots up, is very slow.
    Looking at Task Manager, DISK is at 100% for a very long time.

Is this normal?

No single process is dominating usage and the top task changes over time.
    If it will help, I'll record the task using the most the next time I start up.

Almost all apps are disabled in startup...just hardware and security apps are enabled

I have a tower too and this isn't a problem....I'm able to start working within 15 seconds of booting up.

Ideads?

:)

newmarket2, Jun 7, 2019

2. 100% disk usage on boot up for at least 5 to 10 minutes

Hi there, I did a clean boot as you suggested and the boot up time became considerably longer and although disk usage was 100%, this was only for a minute or so. The program at the top of the disk utilisation list this time though was service host:superfetch.

However I then didn't disable anything in the services tab but disabled all the programs in the startup tab and restarted. This resulted in a very speedy boot up AND there was no 100% disk utilisation. I've done this several times enabling a couple of programs
    on startup and the disk utilisation is no longer 100%.

It appears therefore as though it was some kind of conflict in the startup programs that was causing the 100% disk utilisation.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Colin Smith 18, Jun 7, 2019
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Disk is always at 100%

Hi Richard,

Some bugs or disk drive errors may cause high disk utilization. If your task manager shows 100% disk utilization, you may need to optimize Windows by following these troubleshooting methods:

Disable Windows Search

Some bug in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 causes some "search loop" that causes maximum utilization of your disk. To disable
    Windows Search, kindly follow these steps:

• Press Windows + R to open Run.
    • Type services.msc and press Enter.
    • Scroll down to find Windows Search, right-click it, and select
      Properties.
    • Change the Startup type to Disabled and save the changes.

Disable Superfetch Service

Superfetch service has been identified as a possible cause of 100% disk utilization on Windows 10. To disable Superfetch service, kindly follow these steps:

• Press Windows + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type net.exe stop superfetch and press Enter.
    • Wait for a minute for the changes to apply and close the Command Prompt.

Let us know how things goes.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Jun 7, 2019
  4. Riel Alc Win User

100% Disk for minutes after Startup

100 Disk Usage after Startup

Hi,

To resolve your 100% disk usage issue, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key+i to open Settings, then select Privacy.
    • Under Privacy, select Feedback & diagnostics.
    • Under Diagnostic and usage data, change Send your device data to Microsoft to
      Enhanced or Basic.
    • Close the Settings.

Let us know how it goes.

Riel Alc, Jun 7, 2019
Thema:

100% Disk for minutes after Startup

1. 100% Disk for minutes after Startup - Similar Threads - 100% Disk minutes

2. 100 disk usage on startup HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100 disk usage on startup HDD: Hello!I'm getting 100% disk usage every time on startup. It usually went down after a couple of minutes. Services like sys main take up to 99% or 100%. It kinda slows down my laptop. I'm on HDD and is there a way to solve this without upgrading to SSD? I already turned off...
  3. 100 disk usage on startup HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100 disk usage on startup HDD: Hello!I'm getting 100% disk usage every time on startup. It usually went down after a couple of minutes. Services like sys main take up to 99% or 100%. It kinda slows down my laptop. I'm on HDD and is there a way to solve this without upgrading to SSD? I already turned off...
  4. 100 disk usage on startup HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. 100% disk usage at startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk usage at startup: Hi, My problem is that Windows takes a long time to start despite being on an SSD, and on further investigation this is because the system disk is at 100% disk usage, slowing down the entire computer, and after using Windows Performance Analyzer, I saw that the "System"...
  6. 100% disk usage at startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% disk usage at startup: Hi, My problem is that Windows takes a long time to start despite being on an SSD, and on further investigation this is because the system disk is at 100% disk usage, slowing down the entire computer, and after using Windows Performance Analyzer, I saw that the "System"...
  7. 100% disk usage at startup

8. Disk usage at 100% on startup

Disk usage at 100% on startup: Hi, I have Windows 10 and when I boot up my computer my disk usage is at 100% and it doesn't go down. Task manager is showing no one app using a lot of the disk, and I've disabled apps on startup etc, reset my computer, removed unused apps, used CCleaner and checked disk. I...
  9. 100% Disk Usage on Startup

100% Disk Usage on Startup: Hello, My problem is that Windows takes a very long time to startup despite it being on an SSD Rotating circles for a minute or so, and on further investigation it's because of the system disk having 100% disk usage which slows the entire computer down, and after using...
  10. Windows Defender using 100% Disk after startup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender using 100% Disk after startup: windows defender using 100% disk. and this cause system to slow down and i am unable to play game without disabling real-time protection. System config. HDD :1 TB RAM: 8 GB CPU: Intel i5 5th gen...