Windows 10: 100% Disk usage, slowing down the laptop to snail speed

Discus and support 100% Disk usage, slowing down the laptop to snail speed in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have Dell Inspiron 15" model from 2018 with 1TB of HDD, 8GB of RAM, Intel UHD graphics card.For quite some time it has been pretty slow, and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by KasparsRumba, Sep 16, 2021.

1. 100% Disk usage, slowing down the laptop to snail speed

I have Dell Inspiron 15" model from 2018 with 1TB of HDD, 8GB of RAM, Intel UHD graphics card.For quite some time it has been pretty slow, and the problem usually seems to be disk usage, which gets 100% like on the image.Right now it is so slow, that I can't even take a print screen using Lightshot.Updates usually take a long time too, sometimes I have had updates that take up to 8 hours, and if I don't update, it gets very, very slow. It's not just 0-100% that takes long time, it's usually quite fast, what takes time is at the "Restarting" and "Preparing the device for updates" stages, it c

:)

KasparsRumba, Sep 16, 2021

2. 100 % disk usage in windows 8.1

i have windows 8.1 and i am having the issue that whenever i turn on my laptop (Wndows 8.1 HP Pavillion core i7 8 GB RAM) and see the disk usage from task manager it slowly creeps in steps to 100% disk usage. The laptop gets slow, the fans starts at a
    high speed and the laptop heats up. furthermore it also gets slow. what is an authentic and permanent fix for the problem.

OssamahAzhar, Sep 16, 2021
  3. TidySean Win User
    Unexplained hard disk activity slowing PC to snail's pace

Hey, maybe sysmain has activated again? Have a look in Task Manager and see if you can see the process that's using the disk.

I found this site where there is quite a large list of things to try. The first I would try is dissabling search.
    12 Tips for 100% Disk Usage on Windows 10 Task Manager (2021)

One more thing, it seems you have a HDD in your machine. Upgrade it to a SSD. I find that Win10 works better on SSD.

TidySean, Sep 16, 2021
  4. 100% Disk usage, slowing down the laptop to snail speed

100% disk usage.

Summer has ended and my girlfriend booted her school laptop for the first time in months, only for it to be so unbearably slow that it took several minutes to log in. She handed it to me and said "fix it"... that was 3 days ago and now I am here to humbly
    ask the community what is going on with this GD laptop.

It boots and task manager reports 100%CPU usage, it then lags for several seconds and displays 100%disk usage with CPU usage bouncing between 30-60%.

If you leave it alone with task manager running it will eventually quiet down to a reasonable 0-5% disk usage, but doing ANYTHING causes it to bounce right back to 100%.

I have tried EVERYTHING.

• disable superfetch.
    • disable microsoft search.
    • disable updates and suggestive tips.
    • updated to the most current version of microsoft. (it hadn't been updated since 2018 when she bought it.)
    • reconfigured AHCI PCIE.
    • changed energy options.
    • disabled indexing.
    • reset the virtual memory.
    • ran disk defragment and disabled all scheduling.
    • updated all drivers.
    • deleted google chrome.
    • Disabled all services that weren't microsoft services and disabled all startup programs (clean boot).
    Still no change in the disk usage.

Its an HP Laptop model 15-bw0xx with Windows 10 home edition version 10.0.18362

after messing with it this long im considering replacing the HDD with an SSD but I fear that it wont fix the issue.

LucasParsons, Sep 16, 2021
Thema:

100% Disk usage, slowing down the laptop to snail speed

1. 100% Disk usage, slowing down the laptop to snail speed - Similar Threads - 100% Disk usage

2. 100 % Disk usage making a overall slowness to laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100 % Disk usage making a overall slowness to laptop: Hi,I have been facing issue of 100 % disk usage in task manager , and never go down below , i have tried below methods>Tried formatting laptop >no app running in background>Tried checking over internet for this issue and nowhere proper steps to fix itwould be highly obliged...
  3. 100 % Disk usage making a overall slowness to laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100 % Disk usage making a overall slowness to laptop: Hi,I have been facing issue of 100 % disk usage in task manager , and never go down below , i have tried below methods>Tried formatting laptop >no app running in background>Tried checking over internet for this issue and nowhere proper steps to fix itwould be highly obliged...
  4. 100 % Disk usage making a overall slowness to laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laptop at 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop at 100% disk usage: I have a dell laptop that is about 5 years old that I have been using off and on for gaming on the go. Recently however the laptop will become slow as a slug and I am seeing 100% disk usage even when the computer sits idol and nothing is running. I am running windows version...
  6. 100% Disk Slowing Down Laptop After Dropping It?

100% Disk Slowing Down Laptop After Dropping It?: I refently drppped my laptop on my carpet floor while it was running, and it seemed fine at first, but then it gave me a memory error and gave me all sorts of issues which I sorted out using chkdsk and allowing the laptop to basically fix itself, but now it is reporting 100%...
  7. 100% disk usage and slow boot

100% disk usage and slow boot: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron laptop for about three and a half years and in recent months its boot is slow and in the first minutes, it uses 100% of the disk. It has some heavy programs like Visual Studio, Android Studio and more on it, but it's not always been like that. I...
  8. 100% Disk Usages, Very Slow Boot & Shut Down

100% Disk Usages, Very Slow Boot & Shut Down: After new update 1809 in Windows 10, it's take almost more than 10 min to boot the system properly. And than Disk usages goes to 100% and system become very slow to do any work, even cannot see any photo album properly. My Laptop usages is very less. But in case of emergency,...
  9. 100% Disk Usage, Slowing Down PC. Anything?

100% Disk Usage, Slowing Down PC. Anything?: Often times I get 100% disk usage on my PC. I searched on the internet previously about why I was getting this. I originally thought this was a normal problem. Anytime I get 100% disk usage, my PC starts slowing down and things start running slower. This for some reason...
  10. 100% Disk Usage Slow Computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    100% Disk Usage Slow Computer: System Spec Computer type:Laptop System Manufacturer/Model Number:HP Envy Touchsmart 15 OS:Windows 10 CPU:Intel Core i7 4700mq Memory:16 GB Graphics Card(s):Nvidia Hey all, My computer has been running slow and this is the last try before I assume that the...