Windows 10: 100 disk usage spikes

Discus and support 100 disk usage spikes in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I've these problems with disk usage rising to 100% for 5-20 seconds every few minutes or so. Mind you this hard drive has run Windows 10 since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Teppo_Duunari, Apr 26, 2020.

1. 100 disk usage spikes

So I've these problems with disk usage rising to 100% for 5-20 seconds every few minutes or so. Mind you this hard drive has run Windows 10 since February 2018 and I started having this problem in July 2019, so for almost two years Windows 10 has been smooth as butter. I can pinpoint exactly when the problem started. It started precisely after I insalled Red Dead Redemption 2. It's frankly the biggest thing I have ever installed on the hard drive, but some other games have come very close to it before.

About the spikes. Like I said, Task Manager displays the disk at being 100%, whils there is no specific program running at more than 0.1mbps. The spikes last for 5-20 seconds, and then it returns back down to normal levels. These spikes happen at maybe every 3-5 minutes, rough estimate.

Here is some additional information about the drive itself. It's a 1TB HDD from my 2014 pre-built PC, and I transferred it to my self-built PC in 2018 and updated from Windows 8.1 to 10 at the same time. Like I said I have had no problems with the disk untill presicely when I installed RDR2.

The following things I have tried before, and they've not helped:
    - Disabled Superfetch/Service host
    - Disabled Windows Search
    - Disabled Windows Defender
    - Disabled F-Secure
    - Run disc check
    - Booted with all additional programs off
    - Deleted some Acer bloatware
    - Deleted Red Dead Redemption 2

These might not have been all the things I've tried, since this has been going on for 5 months now. If you sugest something I have already tried I'll let you know.

submitted by /u/Teppo_Duunari
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Teppo_Duunari, Apr 26, 2020
  2. 1Dez Win User

100% Disk usage spike on Windows 10

Recently I have experienced that when running most applications (especially gaming) my Laptop would have a disk usage spike to 99% or 100%. when I check the task manager there is no specific program using the disk, its just at 100% usually forcing me to
    do a hard restart. baring in mind that when I run the programs the usually run smoothly and very randomly the disk usage spikes. this has only been happening since downloading windows 10. I have read many threads and applied many fixes such as disabling SuperFetch,
    BIT service and windows update. I have also disable cloud based protection which seemed to work for some people but not for me, any other suggestions?

3. twilkin17 Win User
    Disk usage spikes to 100 % when using browser.

I work as an IT service tech and I have ran into this problem as well. I have a HP Pro Book 440 G3. The laptop has a core i5 processor and 8 GB of RAM. I did all the suggested fixes from various forums such as these:

Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager [SOLVED] - Driver Easy

Disk usage at 100% windows 10 version 1709

I did not have any luck fixing the problem. Just opening Edge or Google Chrome makes the disk usage spike up to 100% and it will stay there for a period of time. The 100% usage happens all the time after I login and then will die down for a while until I
    launch an application. There are sometimes when opening an application will make the disk usage spike above 75% which seems odd because its only one application running. No rhyme or reason as to why this happens. Task manager or Resource Monitor does not show
    any solid information as to why this keeps happening. Looking at other laptops with the same configuration the disk usage should not spike above or near 50%.

I also got a new hard drive and only did a fresh install of Windows 10 with all the latest updates. Still got the same behavior. This is certainly a Windows 10 issue as it has been documented though many forums using different manufactures of laptops (Dell,
    HP, Asus, etc..)

Its a shame I have a relatively new laptop that I cannot deploy to users since I am cautious about the performance and having to troubleshoot this for an end user. I hope there will be more attention to this because it has been happening to people for years
    now.

twilkin17, Apr 26, 2020
  4. ozan0053 Win User

100 disk usage spikes

Windows 10 100% Disk Usage, constant spiking

Hello, thanks for the replies. Laptop model is ASUS X550C.

I already have all programs disabled in the "startup" tab of Task Manager. Apologies for not stating that in my post.

Here are the results:

100 disk usage spikes [​IMG]

ozan0053, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

100 disk usage spikes

1. 100 disk usage spikes - Similar Threads - 100 disk usage

2. Disk usage spikes to 100 percent then crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk usage spikes to 100 percent then crashes: The issue started immediately after upgrading to windows 11. Disk usage will spike from <5 percent to 100 and then all applications will freeze. The computer continues to run until something needs data from the disk and then it will crash. After crashing, automatically...
  3. Disk usage spikes to 100 percent then crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk usage spikes to 100 percent then crashes: The issue started immediately after upgrading to windows 11. Disk usage will spike from <5 percent to 100 and then all applications will freeze. The computer continues to run until something needs data from the disk and then it will crash. After crashing, automatically...
  4. 100 Percent disk usage spikes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100 Percent disk usage spikes: Hello. My computer is slow and sluggish and the disk usage keeps spiking to 100 percent when I do anything. I have researched a lot and none of the solutions work for me I have had this problem in windows 10 too and thought the update to 11 would fix it but it did not. It...
  5. 100 Percent disk usage spikes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100 Percent disk usage spikes: Hello. My computer is slow and sluggish and the disk usage keeps spiking to 100 percent when I do anything. I have researched a lot and none of the solutions work for me I have had this problem in windows 10 too and thought the update to 11 would fix it but it did not. It...
  6. Disk usage randomly and periodically spikes to 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk usage randomly and periodically spikes to 100%: Brand new CPU, motherboard and RAM, fresh OS install, complete format I even cleaned my disks with console command during this window when installing Windows where you have to choose drive to install OS on. Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 - not overclocked,...
  7. Disk usage spikes to 100% and then crashes in csgo

Disk usage spikes to 100% and then crashes in csgo: Specs: 8700k delidded but no overclock Stock 1080 ti areo 32gb gskill ddr4 Gigabyte Z370 auros gaming 5 1tb Samsung 860 evo NVME ssd EKWB fluid gaming full custom loop cpu+gpu Windows 10 What's happening: I've been using my pc for a while and it is normally very...
  8. Seemingly random 100% disk usage spikes

Seemingly random 100% disk usage spikes: I've noticed a problem recently with my disk usage ever since I installed Windows 10. At seemingly random intervals, whilst viewing task manager, I'll see my disk usage spike up to 100% without me doing anything, before it goes back down to normal levels. It seems to happen...
  9. Disk Usage Spikes to 100%

Disk Usage Spikes to 100%: Hi, I have an ASUS Laptop here with the following specs: Intel Optane 1TB HDD Intel Core i5 8300H at 2.7Ghz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 8GB RAM Windows 10 Home running Version 1909 OS Build 18363.592 I have reinstalled windows from a USB after backing up my files off the...
  10. Disk Usage randomly started spiking to 100%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Usage randomly started spiking to 100%: Hi guys! Really searching for a solution as I’ve tried a lot of things. I’ve had my gaming rig for years and never experienced any problems. This week however, the disk issue started. Every time I load up any game, my disk usage goes to 100% for approximately 30-45 seconds...