Windows 10: 100% disk utilisation with Windows 10 -

Discus and support 100% disk utilisation with Windows 10 - in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have been through some of the earlier threads here and I have come to a conclusion that this is not something easy to fix. However, I want to have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Deep B, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Deep B Win User

100% disk utilisation with Windows 10 -

I have been through some of the earlier threads here and I have come to a conclusion that this is not something easy to fix. However, I want to have a feedback from any experts here about how I can deal with this. I don't want to lose any data, obvisouly.

Some background: This is an old laptop bought in 2013. System configuration is in the screenshot below. I have Comodo Antivirus always ON, Windows Defender always ON as well as MalwareBytes not always in tray, have to invoke. The drivers are all ok last I checked, Windows updates are automatically downloaded and I always install them when available. Everything works fine, generally speaking. Have had BSD errors but very infrequently since last ~4 years and none of those caused serious visible problems. Today it just happened out of the blue that it was constantly utilising 100% disk and I could practically do nothing else, no other applications could be started, it was too slow, especially when dealing with explorer. I restarted from the start menu as well as hard restart but this did not stop. However when I did hard restart, it apparently started to update windows as seen from the messages on the screen. However, post that, I can now atleast access the computer although on a basic level still disk usage is continuously 100%. It takes huge time for any application to load. What could be a solution?

Following a few threads I've attached some screenshots if that helps identify the problem.

System Info"

100% disk utilisation with Windows 10 - 475b5dec-93fc-4810-b0d2-bc465ff68f98?upload=true.png

CrystalDiskInfo
    :

100% disk utilisation with Windows 10 - 20ab967a-0a59-4bf0-85ea-7e03c6984b46?upload=true.png

Task Manager Performance Tab:

The read/write speeds vary but usually small values like these.

100% disk utilisation with Windows 10 - e160f38a-5af4-4902-9e6a-5e31582fac70?upload=true.png

Event Viewer shows "1 Critical Error" in last 24 hours. I do not know how to make sense of the information but if you need to see the log, I can post a OneDrive link.

Can someone please help?

:)

Deep B, Jan 13, 2021

2. 100% disk usage on boot up for at least 5 to 10 minutes

Hi there, I did a clean boot as you suggested and the boot up time became considerably longer and although disk usage was 100%, this was only for a minute or so. The program at the top of the disk utilisation list this time though was service host:superfetch.

However I then didn't disable anything in the services tab but disabled all the programs in the startup tab and restarted. This resulted in a very speedy boot up AND there was no 100% disk utilisation. I've done this several times enabling a couple of programs
    on startup and the disk utilisation is no longer 100%.

It appears therefore as though it was some kind of conflict in the startup programs that was causing the 100% disk utilisation.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Colin Smith 18, Jan 13, 2021
  3. Windows 10 100% disk

You forgot the word "utilisation". Respondents probably thought that your disk was 100% full.

Anyway, the problem will resolve itself after you've left the machine running for a few hours so that Windows can complete the background activity of rebuilding its indeces.

Frederik Long, Jan 13, 2021
  4. 100% disk utilisation with Windows 10 -

100% disk utilisation - windows 10

My laptop is always with 100% disk utilization. In idle condition it comes to 0% however once you click one key or start any program, it shoots up to 100% and then you cannot work on the same.

I have tried almost all solution suggested in community like as listed below

1. Disabling service Background intelligent, superfetch and windows search

2. unchecking box in windows defender under task scheduler

3. editing data under memory management in regedit

See image. Please advise some solution.

Regards

100% disk utilisation with Windows 10 - fdf3bcd9-97dc-4986-a80e-e99e8bc43861.jpg

Kapil Godhani, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

100% disk utilisation with Windows 10 -

1. 100% disk utilisation with Windows 10 - - Similar Threads - 100% disk utilisation

2. 100% disk utilisation slowing laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk utilisation slowing laptop: 2021 HP with i7 processors and Windows 10Have carried out HDD checks and all state its fine.Need help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-disk-utilisation-slowing-laptop/c5cbafc6-17fe-41ed-8f47-4989ec37cc83
  3. 100% disk utilisation slowing laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk utilisation slowing laptop: 2021 HP with i7 processors and Windows 10Have carried out HDD checks and all state its fine.Need help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-disk-utilisation-slowing-laptop/c5cbafc6-17fe-41ed-8f47-4989ec37cc83
  4. 100% disk utilisation slowing laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Is Incredibly Sluggish, Task Manager Shows SSD System Disk Is 100% Utilised

Windows 10 Is Incredibly Sluggish, Task Manager Shows SSD System Disk Is 100% Utilised: I'm currently running Windows 10 21HA1 OS build 19043.1237 and it is incredibly sluggish.Boot to login screen takes over a minute and login to desktop is nearly as long, despite running the system volume on an SSD. Checking the performance tab on Task Manager shows that my...
  6. 100% disk utilisation with Windows 10 - what is going on? Does anyone know?

100% disk utilisation with Windows 10 - what is going on? Does anyone know?: Background: Lenovo laptop relatively new, 8M RAM, 1Ty of space in HDD, Norton running disabled Microsoft, Index Search disabled, full scan run, no HDD issues, no heavy software run only Word, recent Windows update v2004. As nothing has helped I have disabled Chrome and the...
  7. Hard drive constantly at 100% utilisation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard drive constantly at 100% utilisation: My hard drive is always on 100% utilisation as soon as I start up my PC. I have turned off all start up apps, and I my PC is idling and yet it's at 100% utilisation. It's frustrating! I would appreciate it if someone knows what is going on. Thanks! submitted by...
  8. 100% CPU Utilisation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    100% CPU Utilisation: Please help, task manager is showing 100% utilisation which is incorrect according to my AMD system monitor. How can I fix this, it happened after the recent updates I made through windows. Has anyone else had this error and if so is there a fix so that task manager reads...
  9. Windows will not load or utilise disk for internet browsers

Windows will not load or utilise disk for internet browsers: As of 2 days ago, Windows 10 has stopped loading Edge, Firefox and Google Chrome on my Lenovo Ideapad S145. The browser itself loads, but if any websites or search pages are entered such as Google or Bing, the software will do nothing and display a loading image indefinitely...
  10. Windows 10 Pro 100% utilisation of hard drive

Windows 10 Pro 100% utilisation of hard drive: Hi, This is an old one that is asked many times. I have researched answers for several months and still cannot find a solution so any ideas would be welcome. I have a nine month old Windows 10 Pro box. 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD boot drive and 2TB conventional data drive....