Windows 10: 100 GB OneDrive storage FREE for 2 years

Discus and support 100 GB OneDrive storage FREE for 2 years in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Offer expires Feb 28, 2015 Join Bing Rewards and receive a free 2 year subscription for 100 GB of storage on OneDrive. Bing explore rewards:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Slartybart, Feb 16, 2015.

1. 100 GB OneDrive storage FREE for 2 years

Offer expires Feb 28, 2015

Join Bing Rewards and receive a free 2 year subscription for 100 GB of storage on OneDrive.

Bing explore rewards: OneDrive

This is marketing!
    You can subscribe to Bing rewards to get the offer and then unsubscribe from Bing rewards (I think ... this is the way it worked with the Picture Roll offer: Enable Picture Roll, get the storage, disable Picture Roll ).

You'll have to pay for the subscription to continue using the extra storage after the 2 year offer expires. It isn't clear how MS differentiates between storage space on OneDrive. You get, or did get, 15 GB on OneDrive when you sign up, MS offered an additional 15 Gb if you added Picture roll to OneDrive, and now they're offering 100 GB on OneDrive at no charge for 2 years if you sign up for Bing rewards.

Somewhere it states that you the space is separate form other OneDrive storage you might already have. The question is what storage is used and when. Does the original 15-30 GB have to be used first and then the 100 GB storage is used, or is it on a application basis.

I originally saw this offer when I installed OneNote (also free now), so I have to question how OneDrive allocates and uses storage. It only becomes an issue at the end of the offer - how do I protect my data ... do I have to offload it to local storage, then unsubscribe, then load it back up to OneDrive (if there is sufficient space).

The caveat is: if you take advantage of this offer, what do you do when the offer expires in two years?

If you don't use the space, you can simply unsubscribe
    ..... if you use the space you'll have to subscribe or protect your data somehow.

:)

Slartybart, Feb 16, 2015

2. Does Microsoft show a lack of commitment to Lumia owners with OneDrive reduction?

I have been a user of windows phone and windows mobile operating systems for many years now. I have always been a supporter of Microsoft and have loved my Windows phone, convincing my wife to get one as well.

I have to say that my faith in this company is severely shaken with its OneDrive free storage reduction. Loyal supporters of this company are having their free storage allotment radically slashed from 15 GB, + 15 GB for Camera Roll for windows phone users,
    to just 5 GB of free storage.

I even was smart enough to "Opt-in" to keep my 15 GB OneDrive + 15 GB Camera Roll storage by January 31, 2016. However this has not been honored.

When I spoke to Answer Desk, Answer Desk Agent JL R, patronizingly said, "Oh you wanted the free storage forever?"

JL R went on to disclose that anyone who "Opted-In" by January 31, 2016 is actually only getting to keep their storage for 12 more months, which was not revealed at all during the January promotion.

Microsoft's callous disregard and devaluing of loyal customers through this OneDrive move is sickening and perhaps the fatal blow to their mobile devices.

banteringloser, Feb 16, 2015
  3. Lumia 640 and 30GB OneDrive promotion

Just a really speculative wild guess here

On 02/11/2015 Microsoft.com made some far reaching announcements

Your phone is / was sitting in a box until recently

So I am wondering as it is AFTER
    the 15GB to 5GB Cloud cut et el announcement anything over 15GB STANDARD simply won't be honoured?

Hence the highlighted comment above I may be wrong

Microsoft has announced radical changes to its
    OneDrive
    cloud
    storage
    service, ending unlimited storage for

Office 365
    users. Free storage is also being decreased from 15GB to 5GB for all users. The reason for the scaling back of storage comes after Microsoft found that a few customers were using up to 75TB of cloud storage
    from a single account:

Since we started to roll out unlimited cloud storage to Office 365 consumer subscribers, a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings. In some instances, this
    exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average.

These are the changes prescribed by Microsoft:

• We're no longer planning to offer unlimited storage to Office 365 Home, Personal, or University subscribers. Starting now, those subscriptions will include 1 TB of OneDrive storage.

• 100 GB and 200 GB paid plans are going away as an option for new users and will be replaced with a 50 GB plan for $1.99 per month in early 2016.

• Free OneDrive storage will decrease from 15 GB to 5 GB for all users, current and new. The 15 GB camera roll storage bonus will also be discontinued. These changes will start rolling out in early 2016.

The Redmond giant has mentioned that

customers
      that exceed the new quotas will have access to their files for at least 12 months, following which it will scale back the storage:

• If you are an Office 365 consumer subscriber and have stored in excess of 1 TB, you will be notified of this change and will be able to keep your increased storage for at least 12 months.

• If you are an Office 365 consumer subscriber and find that Office 365 no longer meets your needs, a pro-rated refund will be given. To learn more visit the FAQ.

• If you are using more than 5 GB of free storage, you will continue to have access to all files for at least 12 months after these changes go into effect in early 2016. In addition, you can redeem a free one-year
      Office 365 - Personal subscription (credit card required), which includes 1 TB of OneDrive storage.
    Current customers of standalone OneDrive storage plans (such as a 100 or 200 GB plans) are not affected by these changes.

Microsoft has additional information regarding the changes

here
    . What do you guys think of the upcoming changes to OneDrive? Will you continue using the service?

Philip Anderson's Mother's Son, Feb 16, 2015
  4. 100 GB OneDrive storage FREE for 2 years

Only for the US .... At the moment ...*Sad

kingstonian, Feb 16, 2015
  5. Yep just a carrot ploy
    Give it away/ make them rely on it/ sell it to them *Tongue

ThrashZone, Feb 16, 2015
  6. Yes ... Have 100 GB free from last year, about to expire 2/19 .. 2 days to go ... never used that much storage anyway ... bandwidth too slow ...

7. PSA: Grab an easy 100GB of free OneDrive cloud storage from Bing Rewards

Slartybart, Feb 16, 2015
  8. 100 GB OneDrive storage FREE for 2 years

100 gb 1.99 a month u.s *Tongue
    Oops + Tax *Wink

ThrashZone, Feb 16, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Unless you have UNLIMITED internet (a lot in the US don't have) then don't forget that 100GB isn't going to be of any use for storing image backups / etc.

Cloud storage IMO is only worth it as a temporary storage location for file sharing when attachments are too big to send by normal email or other temporary files you want to save for a short while. For these purposes probably 10 - 15GB is more than enough. I think the 100GB thing is just "Suck them in and then make them pay".

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 16, 2015
  10. I agree completely Jimbo *Smile
    I was grandfathered with 25gb and I don't even have 1gb used lol after all of this time that passed *Biggrin

have noticed that if you do download content stored it comes back in a zip folder *Wink

ThrashZone, Feb 16, 2015
  11. badrobot Win User
    Try installing ZenMate browser extension. You should be able to get it outside of US. *Smile

Anyone interested with 25gb extra OneDrive storage? Mine is up for grabs. I don't know how to use up all my 5TB personal cloud storage. *Smile

badrobot, Feb 16, 2015
  12. As Jimbo pointed out, speed and data usage are a big problem when using OneDrive, I have many GB's of photo's which I have digitized over many years, and for the last 15 years using digital cameras have lots of folders which I would like to upload to OneDrive but alas OneDrive can't do that, so a very tedious process to upload making more folders on OneDrive.

Hopefully that will change ...

13. strollin Win User

100 GB OneDrive storage FREE for 2 years

I've got 40G of permanent, free OneDrive storage and have an additional 100G of temporary storage that I was given when SkyDrive became OneDrive. I have never even considered using any of that additional temporary storage since I did not want to become dependent upon it especially true since it is due to expire in 2 days.

Unless MS wants to permanently give me additional storage, I don't care.

strollin, Feb 16, 2015
  14. They "just about all" are playing like drug dealers with this free storage stuff *Smile
    But of course the tiny storage capacity devices on the market pretty much set the tone *Wink

ThrashZone, Feb 16, 2015
  15. This really isn't a negative thing - MS markets the OneDrive storage as an additional revenue stream. You don't have to take the offer.

It's these additional revenue streams that make offering Win10 as a free upgrade a real possibility. MS isn't going to lose revenue on this, they have plenty of services to offer that will make up for the year's 'loss' in Windows revenue. Keep in mind that the free upgrade applies to Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 - All of those XP users will have to license up to take advantage of the offer ... so MS can't lose.

The other thing MS has done in preparation for Win10 is they have moved Windows 7 ISO off of Digital River (or changed the Digital River servers). They've been doing this for a while.

To get the Win7 ISO now, you have to go to: Microsoft Software Recovery and enter a license key to download the ISO. This is a preemptive strike against piracy.

Bill

Slartybart, Feb 17, 2015
Thema:

100 GB OneDrive storage FREE for 2 years

1. 100 GB OneDrive storage FREE for 2 years - Similar Threads - 100 OneDrive storage

2. I Lost 100 gb storage space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I Lost 100 gb storage space: I was Trying To Download A Game Then it said Failed To Drag And Drop i pressed closed and i lost 100 gb of storage space please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-100-gb-storage-space/6fdf9be8-6de7-4c77-87f1-87737048a6d3
  3. I Lost 100 gb storage space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Lost 100 gb storage space: I was Trying To Download A Game Then it said Failed To Drag And Drop i pressed closed and i lost 100 gb of storage space please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-100-gb-storage-space/6fdf9be8-6de7-4c77-87f1-87737048a6d3
  4. I Lost 100 gb storage space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive reducing to free storage limit.

OneDrive reducing to free storage limit.: I had a OneDrive only subscription but it became difficult to use where I am in Mainland China, so subscribed with a local cloud backup, but I still have OD on three of my devices, and on one it is showing the grey cloud with a line through it. I tried to log in but when I...
  6. OneDrive reducing to free storage limit.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive reducing to free storage limit.: I had a OneDrive only subscription but it became difficult to use where I am in Mainland China, so subscribed with a local cloud backup, but I still have OD on three of my devices, and on one it is showing the grey cloud with a line through it. I tried to log in but when I...
  7. OneDrive reducing to free storage limit.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Lost 7 free gb of storage

Lost 7 free gb of storage: I had 9 gb of storage space available and I suddenly got a notification that I only had 2 gb of storage left, what happened? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-7-free-gb-of-storage/07677cbb-ee2e-4ec3-86e4-4f1622652b1e
  9. Effective Onedrive free storage space

Effective Onedrive free storage space: I understand that each Onedrive account has free 5 g storage space. For each file stored in Onedrive, when editing is done, Onedrive will create a "File History" for that file. Also, if a file is deleted, it will go to the "Recycle bin" My question is that would the...
  10. Free- SecureAplus 2 years - GiveawayoftheDay

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Free- SecureAplus 2 years - GiveawayoftheDay: A multi-engine white-listing solution that stands alongside traditional AVs (e.g. I run Avast and this). Whitelisting means only what you have approved runs, so a new level of security. Quiet and unobtrusive, no noticeable overhead as it's not a real-time scanner. Giveaway...