Windows 10: 100% HDD Usage lately when gaming

Discus and support 100% HDD Usage lately when gaming in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I've run into a bit of an irritating issue concerning my storage drive (standard western digital hdd). When i'm gaming, particularly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Cgamon, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Cgamon Win User

100% HDD Usage lately when gaming

Hello everyone. I've run into a bit of an irritating issue concerning my storage drive (standard western digital hdd). When i'm gaming, particularly The Division ( and also the beta for The Division 2) my disk usage jumps to 100% and causes a ton of lag. I don't experience this with any other game currently(not even the Witcher 3 or HEAVILY modded skyrim and fallout 4). Now this is system is about 4-5 years old now, but it still chugs along aside from that. Also to note.. this is my storage drive. My OS in on an SSD, completely separate.

I've done a defrag, and even a few disk checks for bad sectors and everything is showing that its still a relatively healthy drive. I've seen several people say that its windows 10 doing? but I don't understand how that would be the case since this drive only contains games. Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Cgamon, Feb 7, 2019
  2. simoli Win User

win10 1803 hdd 100% usage

im using lenovo ip 320 2 weeks ago, instal win10 1803 direct download from microsoft and after instal the windows the hdd 100% usage

didn't instal anything accept windows 10 1803 and driver lenovo direct from website lenovo.com support for the laptop

any suggestion?

simoli, Feb 7, 2019
  3. CPU Usage 100% after HDD format

Hi there,

I went on a download-frenzy and thought that I might've picked up a virus.. my computer had a bunch of useless crap on it anyways so I decided to just format the HDD. (reset to factory settings). I found out that formatting the HDD doesn't always remove every
    type of virus, but like I said, the HDD needed a cleaning anyways.

So after I formatted the HDD and reinstalled the win10 OS, I decided that my first order of business was downloading a game that wasn't running so great before the factory reset.. to my surprise, it was still running like sh*t!! Despite the factory reset and
    having more than the required specs.

**I opened up task manager to check processes and noticed CPU usage was at 100%.. Memory usage was above 30%, and disk usage was 100% (and fluctuating).

Did extensive research to find out that it was most likely a driver issue? .. apparently Microsoft isn't always the best at choosing drivers? .. idk how it works, and frankly Idc.. I just want my computer to run the games I want.

I went to device manager and disabled a Network Adapter (WiFi Adapter), and that made a noticeable difference to the CPU. (idling at around 14-16%). When I enabled it, the CPU spiked to 100% again. Could be one of the culprits?

Also, there was 64 Background Processes and 28 Windows processes before I even had the chance to touch anything after the OS reinstall.. is that normal?

Suggestions/opinions?

...TylerPaxton..., Feb 7, 2019
  4. 100% HDD Usage lately when gaming

100% Usage on Secondary HDD

I'm sure that isn't a problem with my HDD. I've just bought this brand new WD 4TB HDD. And on the top of this inquiry, I mentioned that something wired is that the 100% usage jumps between HDDs. It's disk E,F,G this time and it would be disk C,D or H,L next
    time after I restart.(I have 3 Secondary Hdds).

The 100% occurs only when some applications are making use of the disk, such as file copying.

donglinyang, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

100% HDD Usage lately when gaming

1. 100% HDD Usage lately when gaming - Similar Threads - 100% HDD Usage

2. HDD usage at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD usage at 100%: My Dell laptop's Hard Drive usage continually shoots up to 100% and can last up to 1 hour before the disk usage drops again. This happens every time work starts and I thought it was because they were updating or scanning Windows Defender, but in the middle of the day it also...
  3. HDD usage at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD usage at 100%: My Dell laptop's Hard Drive usage continually shoots up to 100% and can last up to 1 hour before the disk usage drops again. This happens every time work starts and I thought it was because they were updating or scanning Windows Defender, but in the middle of the day it also...
  4. 100 disk usage on startup HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100 disk usage on startup HDD: Hello!I'm getting 100% disk usage every time on startup. It usually went down after a couple of minutes. Services like sys main take up to 99% or 100%. It kinda slows down my laptop. I'm on HDD and is there a way to solve this without upgrading to SSD? I already turned off...
  5. 100% disk usage HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% disk usage HDD: so when load up my computer my pc is slow and is at 100% disk usage when i go to task manger to look at processes it says my disk is at 25% but when i go to performance it shows it is at 100% non stop my memory is at 5.7 out of 15.7 36% cpu at 2% gpu at 6% any ideas how to...
  6. 100% disk usage HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk usage HDD: so when load up my computer my pc is slow and is at 100% disk usage when i go to task manger to look at processes it says my disk is at 25% but when i go to performance it shows it is at 100% non stop my memory is at 5.7 out of 15.7 36% cpu at 2% gpu at 6% any ideas how to...
  7. 100% disk usage HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. HDD 100% usage on a game which is installed on the SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD 100% usage on a game which is installed on the SSD?: Hello everyone, lately I've engaged a problem with several games. Alot of my games suddenly got tons of performance issues. I've checked my Task Manager during game sessions and noticed that my HDD just spikes up to 100%, mainly consistently on 100% actually. Games are...
  9. 100% disk usage when gaming

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% disk usage when gaming: [ATTACH] Hello, I know that there are a ton of postings about this but i have been trying to get rid of this problem for half a year now. When playing games that were located on my hdd, my hdd it used to randomly jump to 100% usage. As of late, my ssd gets to 100% usage...
  10. 100% disk usage when gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk usage when gaming: Hello, I have this problem for half a year now. When playing games, my hdd jumps to 100% but it also happens to my ssd if the game is downloaded there. Makes it impossible to game. Game freezes, System freezes, game sound bugged etc. I have this problem for half a year now....