Windows 10: 100% usage on disk

Discus and support 100% usage on disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; 2 days ago i downloaded a new game Playerunknow's battleground and noticed i was lagging really bad. I opened my task manager and my disk usage was at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by antmann157, Mar 28, 2017.

1. 100% usage on disk

2 days ago i downloaded a new game Playerunknow's battleground and noticed i was lagging really bad. I opened my task manager and my disk usage was at 100%. I closed everything and noticed my pc was doing things slow. My disk usage stays at 100% now and I do not know what to do. I ran some test and disabled some services that an article online suggested that helped others but does not seem to work for me. I was wondering if it is a good idea to uninstall all my drivers and download new ones. Please help me i really dont know what to do
    Screenshot: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

:)

antmann157, Mar 28, 2017
  2. Sheena xx Win User
    Sheena xx, Mar 28, 2017
  3. BSOD: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED

Before BSOD occur, my disk usage is 100% then suddenly it occur. It is not the case that every time when my disk usage is 100%, BSOD occurs.

RahulVerma2, Mar 28, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

100% usage on disk

Hi, you have a lot going on there.
    1. Tiworker.exe is triggered by Windows update, so it seems possible a Windows update is being applied.
    2. Norton (n360.exe) is clearly active.
    3. Edge is using a huge amount of resources.
    4. SearchUI.exe is part of Cortana, and is also active.

Then you have svchost.exe - perhaps related to one of the above.

1. Before you downloaded this game, was your system behaving normally? I.e. could you be confident CPU and disk use was low?
    If so, do you have a system restore point available set before your game was installed?

If you do, I suggest you try using it.

If not, first try uninstalling that game, and enable services you have disabled.

Then please post a screenshot of your task manager
    (Screenshots are most helpfully posted using the 'Insert Image' icon above your post to the left of the video icon).

Also then please post a screenshot of your task manager in Safe Mode for reference if you still have problems in normal mode.

Note: to organise the columns of the task manager, click the tab at the head of a column so items with greatest resource use are at the top.

Please also post a screenshot of your Update History (Settings, Update and... , Update History

dalchina, Mar 28, 2017
  5. Before my pc was totally fine with low disk usage.
    i tried doing a system restore and got this error i tried different restore points

100% usage on disk [​IMG]

Here is the screenshot of the update history

This is my task manager at the moment. It changes a lot sometimes. system is consuming more then windows search, sometimes norton, sometimes Microsoft compatibility telemetry.

antmann157, Mar 29, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    That looks a lot simpler.
    My guess might be since your updates are up to date, none failed, that an update has been completed since last time.

Note that Windows search should NOT routinely use disk or CPU time- only when actually searching, or updating the index when items are modified or created in areas specified to be indexed, or of course the initial index creation.

Focussing just on one thing alone for now:
    Can you close 7-zip? That's got to be completely unnecessary. If you have to, just uninstall it so it's out of the way. Do you know why it's running?
    Please repost the task manager screenshot when that's done.

Also then please post a screenshot of your task manager in Safe Mode for reference.

That type of system restore error is relatively common (search this forum for 80070091 and you'll find related or similar threads, including one I started which is very long and includes a possible resolution.

Please DON'T bother with that for now whilst your resource use is high.

Our view tends to be that System Restore is not sufficiently robust as to be relied upon and can let you down just when you need it. We recommend the routine use of disk imaging (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free)) as a much more complete and robust solution for restoring your system and partitions and disks, even if your disk fails (you need a new disk of course then!) However it is useful if it works.

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  7. It tends to change a lot. Now my system is the one causing this to happen.
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Also before my disk usage would not be at 100% when I would run things like Steam

antmann157, Mar 29, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

100% usage on disk

We know there's a lot going on. But we have to start somewhere. So as previously asked, let's try just this:

1. Boot into Safe Mode and log in.
    2. Create a screenshot of your task manager and post it.

3. Do a clean boot.
    4. 2. Create a screenshot of your task manager and post it.

Have you uninstalled that game?

Thanks

It's much easier if you post your screenshots using the Insert Image icon above your post. (To the left of the video icon).

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  9. When i boot into safe mode my keyboard does not work. Not sure why

antmann157, Mar 29, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    So please do a clean boot, monitor, and post a screenshot of your task manager.
    We need to eliminate 3rd party effects and simplify the situation.

Again, have you uninstalled that game?

Is your keyboard connected by USB? Maybe try a USB2 port in Safe Mode.
    Or is it wireless?
    Presumably it needs a driver.

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  11. Thank you for your time by the way. I appreciate you trying to help me.

Here is the screenshot after a clean boot. It alternates.

antmann157, Mar 29, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, that's somewhat simpler, but puzzling.
    It seems a not very high transfer rate is causing a high percentage of disk usage.

Please download and run CrystalDiskinfo (free) and post the result (clear good/not based on SMART params)
    If ok, then please download and run Crystal Diskmark (free), run it (takes a little time) and post the result.
    Thanks.

The first looks straightforward to analyse- process explorer would tell you what in particular is responsible.
    Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted
    is distinctive, and there are reports of this using high disk or CPU or RAM resources

The second is unfamiliar.

The third might be Norton doing some sort of scan, but I'm guessing.

I'm wondering why Google Chrome is active - several processes- after a clean boot.

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  13. 100% usage on disk

not sure if this is what you are looking for but here is the screenshot of the first program

antmann157, Mar 29, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Ok, the disk looks good.

Again, have you uninstalled the game that caused all this, and re-enabled the services you disabled?

When you have, please post another screenshot of your task man after a normal boot. Thanks.

Also please advise on what sort of keyboard you have and how it's connected.

dalchina, Mar 30, 2017
  15. Yes i have enabled the services and uninstalled the game.

antmann157, Mar 30, 2017
Thema:

100% usage on disk

1. 100% usage on disk - Similar Threads - 100% usage disk

2. Disk Usage 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Usage 100%: My Disk usage is constantly at 100% I've dealt with this issue in the past by disabling some windows services but i don't recall all of them. Some of which I remember are windows search, windows update, SuperfetchSysMain. The fix that i had used seemed to work but was not...
  3. Disk Usage on 100%

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk Usage on 100%: Disk usage stays on 100% on my Windows 10. The computer responses very slow. Tried solutions from google, none works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage-on-100/79303ad0-4995-4095-93b4-02b59b92bc6e
  4. 100% Disk Usage

100% Disk Usage: My laptop takes 100% in HDD memory when i have Windows SO, i install previous windows 8 and the problem still going on, i got this specifications: [ATTACH] And my task manager shows this: [ATTACH] thank you for your attention.....
  5. %100 Disk usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    %100 Disk usage: I have had this issue in the past and tried many different possible solutions but the only fix was to factory reset my PC. The issue recently came back after a year and I can’t seem to fix this issue. This has caused my gaming pc to almost be unusable. Other issues I have...
  6. 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% disk usage: I reset my PC and disk usage its still on 100% I have tried everything that is on YouTube or other forums and nothing works. submitted by /u/Witeek13 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dxbr0g/100_disk_usage/
  7. Disk Usage 100%

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Usage 100%: Hi, My desktop is running on Windows 10. How do I resolve DISK USAGE 100% as shown in Task Manager? It has made my PC unusable. It is too too slow. kf https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage-100/5a00c0af-4c17-4297-8e60-8f024ae0875a"
  8. Disk 100% usage

Disk 100% usage: [ATTACH] I have 100% disk usage even tought i shouldn't, i can t fix this, someone help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-100-usage/bcd0e5ed-46a8-4bfc-a3f2-87f7067e42b1
  9. Disk usage is 100%

Disk usage is 100%: Disk usage is 100% resulting in computer being real slow. How do I fix this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage-is-100/f94cae49-632c-4168-8aef-a0480ffe2569
  10. 100% disk usage

100% disk usage: i am using i7-7700hq processor laptop but still my laptop was loading slowly.when i checked my task manager it shows me my disk usage is 100%. so anybody help me to solve this problem...