Windows 10: 10041 flashing screen between desktop and BSOD

Discus and support 10041 flashing screen between desktop and BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I loaded 10041 over an 8.1 installation. No visible errors. Login was fine. As soon as the desktop starts to load, there is a flashing back and forth... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by marathonpaul, Apr 26, 2015.

1. 10041 flashing screen between desktop and BSOD

I loaded 10041 over an 8.1 installation. No visible errors. Login was fine. As soon as the desktop starts to load, there is a flashing back and forth with the BSOD. The flashing to the BSOD occurs before any of the icons can load. (making the log files a challenge to get) Task manager is available, but nothing else.

Thanks

:)

marathonpaul, Apr 26, 2015

2. Screen flashing between black and desktop wallpaper on Windows 10.

I upgraded to Windows 10 today and now I can do nothing with my laptop. The system has reached the desktop level and the screen flashes on and off with only the desktop wallpaper appearing. Not impressed. No icons showing now and the laptop is useless.
    How can I revert to earlier settings so I can hopefully restore windows 8.1

John Laurie, Apr 26, 2015
  3. Screen flashing between black and desktop wallpaper on Windows 10.

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

Method 1: Try the following steps:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow
    • Close the CMD window

Method 2: Try to update display drivers software and check if that helps.

Refer: How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10:

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Check to see if the issue is resolved.

Waseemulla S, Apr 26, 2015
  4. 10041 flashing screen between desktop and BSOD

The BSOD is caused by the Synaptics Touchpad 19.3 Updated Driver. Plug in a standard USB wired standard mouse, and disable the Touchpad on the laptop (HPs have a disable button) , or don't touch it. Then uninstall the Synaptics Software (using the mouse) this works until Windows attempts to reinstall the driver.

Caused by MS releasing 'beta' build releases without testing the three principle drivers: Keyboard, Mouse + Graphics. Very lazy testing. Don't use the MS recovery tools, i.e. refresh system files (removes software), as the driver remains after the refresh.

Linux as usual providing the sticking plaster to MS Products, as has been since the 90's. Make a System Disk Image between updates using Paragon HDM Linux BootableCD, or other imaging tool, don't rely on MS recovery tools.

adamjarvis, Apr 27, 2015
  5. I found the Synaptics driver as part of my Razer keyboard. (Changed keyboard) Can't figure out how to do an uninstall, as I can't get to that function. The flashing doesn't allow the system to stabilize enough. I can get to command prompt, and the file system. Where/what is the driver? I can try to delete, or rename it. Renaming the Synaptics file area didn't work.

Thanks

marathonpaul, Apr 27, 2015
  6. Its under Control Panel ->'Uninstall a Program', where you'd find Microsoft Office etc. I know, took me a while to laterally think that one out too, but like NVidia Graphics drivers, they do end up there I suppose, you'll find the Synaptics Touchpad driver 19.03.
    Programs - Uninstall using Command Prompt in Windows - Windows 7 Help Forums

adamjarvis, Apr 27, 2015
  7. Ok, Synaptics uninstalled, but same issue. Other thoughts?

Thanks

8. 10041 flashing screen between desktop and BSOD

Normally if you can't boot ie. BSOD eventually it gives you the option of the Recovery Tools on startup, from there Advanced options - command prompt.
    Then use the 'Remove software via the command line' link to remove the Synaptics Touchpad Driver Install.
    There is also another option to boot in Safe mode by pressing option 4 - 'F4' from the recovery tools.
    Alternatively, its a case of trying to use BCDEdit to give you the option of Safe mode at the boot prompt.
    Trouble is I can't see the Recovery Tools as my system is booting, and trying the Bootable Windows USB gives you different options from the 'Repair your Computer'. Doesn't give you the option to choose Safe Mode, then VGA Graphics etc.
    (I like to meet the person that thinks getting rid of F8 on startup is a good idea)

If the graphics are NVidia you could try removing that driver too, but not sure of the consequences, haven't tried it. Make a backup first.

adamjarvis, Apr 27, 2015
  9. I managed to uninstall Synaptics. I still have the flashing between the desktop, and BSOD. Other thoughts?

10. As above, Synaptics was the issue on my system. You're using an external usb keyboard and usb wired mouse now?

adamjarvis, Apr 27, 2015
  11. Yes, generic wired mouse and wired keyboard. (both USB)

12. Back to Recovery Mode Tools:
    You can use the command line to get the F8 menu.
    Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes
    To switch it on

Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no
    To switch it off
    or there should be an option below 'command line' from the Advanced Menu (should be-I can't see it from USB Boot), to choose how to boot the system, choose Safe Mode, try with VGA Graphics. Or use BCDEdit to give you the option.
    Remember - Refreshing System Files option won't help you, because the drivers remain.
    If I think of anything further, will let you know. UK time, need to finish up.

Update: The Wacom drivers maybe? (noticed from driver list).

adamjarvis, Apr 27, 2015
  13. 10041 flashing screen between desktop and BSOD

Long story of Blind Luck.

Finally got to the boot mode, and booted twice in the safe mode. Both time got an error (explorer.exe Unknown hard error).

Went to a normal boot, and everything was there and seems to be working.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

marathonpaul, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

10041 flashing screen between desktop and BSOD

1. 10041 flashing screen between desktop and BSOD - Similar Threads - 10041 flashing screen

2. Windows 10 desktop keeps flashing between empty desktop and icons "file system error...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 desktop keeps flashing between empty desktop and icons "file system error...: Hi,I have an Asus Vivobook Flip 14 running Windows 10 family Edition, it is a convertible Laptop that switches to tablet mode when I flip the screen. Yesterday when I was using the laptop in touchscreen mode, I was switching between landscape and portrait display, I...
  3. Windows 10 desktop keeps flashing between empty desktop and icons "file system error...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 desktop keeps flashing between empty desktop and icons "file system error...: Hi,I have an Asus Vivobook Flip 14 running Windows 10 family Edition, it is a convertible Laptop that switches to tablet mode when I flip the screen. Yesterday when I was using the laptop in touchscreen mode, I was switching between landscape and portrait display, I...
  4. After logging on screen flashes between desktop background picture and plain screen color.

in Windows 10 Customization
    After logging on screen flashes between desktop background picture and plain screen color.: Hi, this is driving me mad and and I just logged on to my laptop and the same thing is happening. I am running the latest preview version, 21213 and all was OK and then it updated the .net and I think it started then. It boots to safe mode OK I have an admin user ID on...
  5. Windows 1 desktop not loading, flashing screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 1 desktop not loading, flashing screen: Ever since last week's update the one that was going to address the fake signatures I suppose? I've been having a problem with Windows 10. At first it was just a black screen with a white bar what is supposed to be the taskbar, which under normal circumstances is hidden...
  6. 10041 Not Updating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    10041 Not Updating: I had to do a clean install of Win 10 preview and used a 10041 version. It is installed an working (I'm entering this from Win 10) but it will not update to newer versions. I have it set for "Fast". There is no option to check for newer version. 5569
  7. No sound in 10041

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No sound in 10041: Would appreciate any help. Thanks 4771
  8. Can't log in. Flashing between lock screen & blue screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't log in. Flashing between lock screen & blue screen: EDIT: I solved the issue. On the GitHub page for the program there was already a well-written tutorial on how to fix the issue. Heh. Well, I made a big mistake. I upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 without a hitch an hour ago and kept all of my personal files and apps. I set up...
  9. W10 ver 10041 Screen Shots

in Windows 10 News
    W10 ver 10041 Screen Shots: I am not running W10 at this time but want to share some screen shots for others that have not installed W10 also. https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...enshot-gallery Jim *Cool 4819
  10. flashing desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    flashing desktop: I have a Lenovo ideapad S510p touch. Yesterday I went to use it and updates were installing so I waited and waited. After awhile, nothing else happened. I waited some more. Waiting. Nothing. Finally I restarted and after signing in and I just got a flashing half-filled-out...