Windows 10: [10586.29] Regedit crashes while searching.

Discus and support [10586.29] Regedit crashes while searching. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. A few days ago I have found out the Regedit crashes on me while performing a search. Running w10 x64. I have run sfc /scannow and it said... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eLPuSHeR, Dec 8, 2015.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

[10586.29] Regedit crashes while searching.

Hello.

A few days ago I have found out the Regedit crashes on me while performing a search. Running w10 x64.

I have run sfc /scannow and it said there were no integrity violations.

Any ideas?

PS - It even crashes if I hit the CANCEL button while searching.

:)

eLPuSHeR, Dec 8, 2015

2. Regedit long path crash while searching the registry on Windows 10.0.10586

Regedit long path crash while searching the registry on Windows 10.0.10586

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start regedit and search Computer for some text that will not be found, e.g. “sssssssss”.

Or to reproduce it faster, first navigate to the problematic path:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1205654841-424901404-837385954-1001\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6868.41111.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Once regedit reaches the path above, the search will never end.

Note: On older versions of Windows, it will just ignore this,

continue and finish the search.

2. Wait between 5-10 minutes. Otherwise the issue will not be reproduced.

3. If regedit is still searching, cancel the search.

4. regedit will crash and restart.

Operating system affected:

Windows 10.0.10586

Operating system not affected:

Windows 10 build 10240

the_boss_gfc, Dec 8, 2015
  3. Kamka Win User
    Regedit.exe search crashes after upgrade to 10586

Yeah - it's not us - it's the Regedit+MS [10586.29] Regedit crashes while searching. :)

Three different computers - updated, clean installed - regedit crashes. It seems for me as if it crashes if a search term is not found (anymore, after subsequent search).

Got used to it - if the search takes more than a minute, then it crashed. Even pressing the Cancel button on the search would crash it.

Kamka, Dec 8, 2015
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

eLPuSHeR, Dec 8, 2015
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I am using NirSoft regscanner in the interim while waiting for MS to issue a patch.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. [10586.29] Regedit crashes while searching. - Similar Threads - 10586 Regedit crashes

2. Regedit

in Windows 10 Customization
    Regedit: Umm.... I don't really know how to start this my computer is behaving weirdly screenshots are not getting saved and i know the problem it's the regedit i have been modifying it bit too much lately so is there any way I can restore the registry to deafult without having to...
  3. 10586

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    10586: I am not getting the fall update 10586 is this wait normal? 29848
  4. Build 10586

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Build 10586: Hi, Problem updating To Build 10586 from 10576. I am on an x64 platform. After downloading and preparing to install, it then goes "Configuring Update for Windows 10 xx% compete. Do not turn Off Your Computer" When 100% is reached it then Restarts. Upon restart it does not...
  5. Regedit crashes during registry searches

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Regedit crashes during registry searches: When I run a regedit search I am guaranteed that regedit will get stuck every single time while displaying the "Searching the registry" message box. When I eventually click the cancel button, I get the message that regedit has stopped working. I can repeat ad-nauseum, even...
  6. regedit crashes when searching

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    regedit crashes when searching: On one of my Win10 systems regedit crashes on any search I try. Sometimes it will find a match but then continuing the search for another instance will eventually lead to a regedit crash. The symptom is that regedit looks active and the task manager shows that it is using 25%...
  7. Regedit Crash

in Windows 10 Support
    Regedit Crash: Hello, Once I have installed "Audiograbber", not knowing about the ripping ability of win 10 media player. So I looked into the installed programs to uninstall it, it was not in the list, even CCleaner did not list it. Then I opened the windows 'all apps', found the program...
  8. regedit search broken again 14393.105

in Windows 10 Support
    regedit search broken again 14393.105: Just noticed regedit search is broken again like it was before. If you search for something that is not found it hangs. I tried regseeker to search and it also hung at 97%. 62514
  9. Cortana search bar not finding things such as regedit

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana search bar not finding things such as regedit: My cortana bar seems to be missing some important stuff when I search. Regedit is completely absent when doing search for one. Any ideas why? 23563
  10. Regedit can't finish searching

in Windows 10 Support
    Regedit can't finish searching: Was trying to scan my registry using "find" in regedit. I click on Edit\Find and to look at Keys and Match whole string only for "Run". It will a few entries but when it gets to Local Machine\software\wow6432Node\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run and I do a F3 to...